Sponsored

Are there any options/specs that you regret getting OR not getting?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
James, when speaking of the electrical harness install are you referring to something like my far simpler to install basic aftermarket 4 pin harness or MOPAR's 8 pin factory harness?

If the latter, I thought I heard that this product had been redesigned since the JL's inception to allow the path the cable follows to not only be through the cabin...
Andy, I purchased the Quadratec 4-flat towing harness. The plugs install inline with the tail light harnesses using matching connectors. Easy peasey.

The long red wire, also present on this particular harness, needs routed from rear to front, along the frame rail and into the engine bay, for connection to the [main] battery's positive terminal. Just a bit of time spent under the vehicle with a handful of zip ties.
Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I am mechanically inclined and one requirement for my Jeep is to tow my boat. I ordered the towing package, but if I found on a dealer what I was looking for except tow package, I would have had no problem installing hitch and the wiring as I have done on other 5 other vehicles I have owned in the past.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I am mechanically inclined and one requirement for my Jeep is to tow my boat. I ordered the towing package, but if I found on a dealer what I was looking for except tow package, I would have had no problem installing hitch and the wiring as I have done on other 5 other vehicles I have owned in the past.
Does your boat's trailer have its own brakes?

Dave: I hear you on the "I've done this before" aspect of doing this yourself--especially if your going "4 pin" like James @Heimkehr and i did.

But if your trailer has brakes that require the 8 pin harness/brake controller wiring you may want to watch a video like this one to see if what's involved in installing this cable after purchase, on a JL, is something you're willing to do before buying the rig without this feature.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I got the Tow Package for the Auxiliary switches.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
If you value your time, factory install is pennies on the dollar. So worth it to get everything you think you may ever want just put in - done - go for a drive - instead of screwing around - possibly for years.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
My 2019 JLU was a leftover when I picked it up in January 2020, it listed at 43,000 and I picked it up for 37.000.
I was not looking for a fire cracker red but at 37,000 it was a go with the cold weather package, which i was looking for, 3 piece hardtop also a must and 7 inch upgrade screen, it was all I was looking for.
The bonus was the tow package and headline for the hard top.
By the way, does the tow package have any heavier duty cooling?

Last edited:

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU

Dave: I hear you on the "I've done this before" aspect of doing this yourself--especially if your going "4 pin" like James @Heimkehr and i did.

But if your trailer has brakes that require the 8 pin harness/brake controller wiring you may want to watch a video like this one to see if what's involved in installing this cable after purchase, on a JL, is something you're willing to do before buying the rig without this feature.

One of my boat trailer does not have brakes, the other one has trailer brakes, but they are mechanical brakes. I have never installed harness for vehicle control of the brakes.

I ordered the trailer towing package anyways, one less thing for me to do when I get the Jeep. It good feedback for anyone who maybe using anything more than 4 pin connector for towing.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport

Way, too much work, for me, without a lift.
Make me even happier I have the tow package

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
If you value your time, factory install is pennies on the dollar. So worth it to get everything you think you may ever want just put in - done - go for a drive - instead of screwing around - possibly for years.
I will probably never pull anything behind my arriving Jeep but when your spending 50k+ I just checked all the boxes. Even the camera...gotta see the right angle of attack getting in my driveway dead of winter....lol.

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
I got the dual top group, alpine audio upgrade, and cold weather package...i do not regret any of those, but I regret not getting the tow/auxiliary package.

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
My Rubicon is still on order, but I've so far already questioned whether it was a mistake to leave off the LEDs and the 8.4 inch display.

I'm not sold on LED lights, especially since they tend to destroy my nightvision when I'm out doing night sky photography. And it seems like an excessive expense when I can just slap a couple aux lights on and be done with it if I need more light. But the everybody on the forum raves about them, so now I'm wondering if I should have added them. Oh well. I've always driven halogens, so I probably don't know what I'm missing and will likely be more than content with these, ha.

And I was very sure that I didn't want the 8.4 inch display, mostly because you can't get it without also getting the Alpine speakers and the subwoofer eats up the cargo space in the 2dr that I wasn't willing to sacrifice for the sake of speakers. But it also sounds like a lot of options are locked off without it. I don't much care about all the Sirius stuff, but the off road pages might have been nice. But I suppose I could always buy an upgraded head unit and install it myself later if it really bugs me. That said, it looks like it adds more layers of complexity and I like to keep things as simple as possible. Less potential points of failure. And with space at a premium in a 2dr, I wanted that dang cargo bin.

I also probably should have gone for a dual top option and gotten a soft top too, especially since I can't find anyone offering an aftermarket soft top in tan. But, eh. It wasn't a priority. I'll live. Less stuff to store and more excuse to run it naked.

Whether I regret anything I did order (Cold Weather, Tow/HD Electrical, Hinge Reinforcement) remains to be seen, but I doubt I'll have any regrets. Though, I suspect the hinge reinforcement was a little gimmicky. But I can live with that too. I managed to keep the whole package under $43k and it's exactly the platform I want to build off of, so I'm happy.

tankers

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Sahara, 2021 JLU Sport Altitude
My only regret for my 2021 JLU Sport S Altitude is not getting the towing package.

I figured "eh, I can just wire in a flat-4 for $100" (which I did the week after I finally got the Jeep home).

That's bitten me in the butt when it came to hauling a trailer that had a 7-blade (had to rig up an impromptu adapter to make it work). Also, towing almost any camper requires a 7-blade.

Plus, now I don't have the sweet factory AUX switches which cost $350 on their own!

Made sure to get the seat-heaters (I live in TN but I know I'll still use them when it's 100 outside since it feels good on my back during a long drive).

As for Proximity from the factory, I'd still pass on it since I would have had to bump up to the Sahara trim for quite a bit more just to get that (plus, I prefer the Altitude trim's factory blacked-out look).

HOWEVER! I would recommend adding Proximity to the tailgate once you get it home (~$100 in parts and 10mins in time). THAT has been well worth it!

Hope that helps!

dieseljlu

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Ok you guys have convinced me on the proximity keys, I will be adding that.

advanced safety/Adaptive cruise is still split. I'm going back to dealer tomorrow. Planning to look at one with it. If the box on the window isn't annoying I will go for it.

Still not convinced of the trail camera, at all.
My 2020 JLURD is my daily-driver.

I added every option available in early 2020 (so essentially the only thing I am missing is the Front Facing Trail Cam). I can 100% attest to loving and using the ACC. It is awesome on long-drives and really comfortable in traffic. I recently did an Atlanta to Charleston highway run and it was clutch for comfortably sitting in traffic and also great for open highways-- it's just a little easier than standard cruise control. I also like the idea of the advanced safety features (although I have, thankfully, not had to have them kick in while driving). If the advanced safety features (like the blind-spot monitors) are only available with ACC, do it. After lifting my Jeep those little lights on the wing-mirrors for the blind-spot have been a savior for low-profile sports cars racing by (particularly the idiots that enjoy passing on the right). I have never noticed the box being a problem but I am also only 5'4" so take that with a grain of salt.

As for the front trail cam, I would have added it if the option was available because there are no proximity sensors on the front steel bumper (although they exist on the back one). It would be nice for inching into really tight parking spaces around town (the front bumper sticks out a good bit from the vehicle itself so I am guess-timating distance) and if you add a winch later on, it would be nice to know just how close you can get to someone or something.

Enjoy your new Jeep and glad you changed your mind on proximity entry! Keyless entry is a god-send. The brick fob is no joke and no one wants to fish for that damn thing when you're trying to get all of your groceries in or out of the Jeep in one trip.

Edited* *Last thing. I did regret the Reinforced Hinge Gate from the factory. I run 37s and upgraded to the Motobilt Tire Carrier instead because I actually needed a better high-end hinge, rather than just the minor reinforcement. If you plan to run 37s, just go aftermarket for the tire-carrier and skip the Reinforced Hinge Gate from the factory. That was my only trash addition.

Also, ditto on everyone's post about the tow package. I have towed a few times and it is flawless, plus the aux switches are perfect for mods and lights.

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I wrote a long thing justifying why I might be ordering a stripped down base JLU. But I deleted it.

You have to decide what you want. If you want it, you are going to get it eventually or just end up disappointed in your buy. Pay now or pay later. If the pay now is a $10,000 upgrade for something you can do for $1000, then might not be worth it. If you want $5000 worth of goodies and it will cost you $6000 at the factory, you'll probably be happier having it from the factory and probably be happier with whatever extras it comes with. For me, to get the options I want would be an extra 20k, but I'll end up with 15k worth of stuff I don't care about. Also, if you are financing at a super low rate, it almost makes more financial sense to buy those upgrades now unless you are paying for them later from invested money, if you want to justify your spending
Sponsored