Sponsored

Are there any options/specs that you regret getting OR not getting?

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I am surprised by no comments on tops, I wasted a chunk of change on the dual top. The hard top just sits in the barn, here in ca you don’t really need it and the premium soft top is great!
Sponsored

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Ps I held out for a jlru with no acc, did not want the nannies and addition things to go wrong. The Jeep already reboots routinely. Less software = less problems.

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I ordered my Rubicon in February and got it about a month ago. Got almost everything I could. LED’s are expensive and worth every penny.. I live in northern Indiana and the cold weather option is fantastic

I got the tie down rails in the cargo area. Mixed feelings. They’re nice so stuff doesn’t slide, but you can’t put in a full size cargo mat.

I got the advanced safety group, front & rear cameras. I use the front every time I pull in the garage. They’re fantastic for parking

I pull a utility trailer instead of having pickup, so I got tow package, aux switches, Factory leather.

Only thing I would not get are the cargo tie downs, and I got the factory stainless sill protectors that are too small to do any good and are being replaced with aftermarket rubber ones

If I were getting larger tires, I’d get the heavy duty spare carrier. Downside is I think you have to swing out the spare to open the tailgate. I don’t as my spare is on the gate itself.

Aftermarket steel bumpers are cheaper than optional factory ones.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I ordered my Rubicon in February and got it about a month ago. Got almost everything I could. LED’s are expensive and worth every penny.. I live in northern Indiana and the cold weather option is fantastic

I got the tie down rails in the cargo area. Mixed feelings. They’re nice so stuff doesn’t slide, but you can’t put in a full size cargo mat.

I got the advanced safety group, front & rear cameras. I use the front every time I pull in the garage. They’re fantastic for parking

I pull a utility trailer instead of having pickup, so I got tow package, aux switches, Factory leather.

Only thing I would not get are the cargo tie downs, and I got the factory stainless sill protectors that are too small to do any good and are being replaced with aftermarket rubber ones

If I were getting larger tires, I’d get the heavy duty spare carrier. Downside is I think you have to swing out the spare to open the tailgate. I don’t as my spare is on the gate itself.

Aftermarket steel bumpers are cheaper than optional factory ones.
That’s interesting about the sill protectors. My Jeep is in shipping status and I had been debating whether to get the Mopar protectors or find an aftermarket option. Looks like I’ll be going aftermarket.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
Hi guys,

Ordering a JLUR next week.

I have slaved over all the different options. I think I've finally got it ironed out.

But, change my mind...

Tell me what you wish you would have gotten or wish you didn't get.
Had I read the description a bit more closely I would have gotten the cargo management system since it comes with an inverter and power outlet for the bed. I planned on getting the rails (got them from Rebel Offroad) anyway.

Sponsored

Ellsterling22

First Name
Elliott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Occupation
Banker
Got a 2020 Sport S Unlimited 4dr. Wife is active duty so it was more of a same day buy and didn’t have much options due to time constraints and COVID delaying our other vehicle to get here in time. That said, we definitely wish we would have gotten the tow package and remote start. I’ll be taking it into the dealership in April to get the trailer brake, towing harness, auxiliary switch bank, and tow hitch, but the cost is unbelievable to get it added on plus I’m not sure if I’ll have to change the alternator since I believe the factory tow package comes with a different alternator. For the remote start, we have it on our other vehicle so it’s just a preference but not a necessity for sure.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
If I were getting larger tires, I’d get the heavy duty spare carrier. Downside is I think you have to open the tailgate. I don’t as my spare is on the gate itself.
That option is just an aluminum bracket that transfers some load from the tailgate panel to the hinges. It wouldn't change the way the tire is mounted or the way the gate opens.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Factory tow package is my only regret. I have every other option I wanted and have come to love some that I have but didn't want at the time of buying it.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Ordered my 20' JLR and have zero regrets on the order: 3.6, 8 speed auto, safety group, LED group, proximity keyless entry, trailer tow w/aux switches, black hardtop, headliner, tailgate hinge reinforcement, cold weather group, black door sill protectors and cargo group w/Trail Rail.

Skipped the advanced safety group (hate nanny controls), leather (wanted leather trim but cloth seats-ordered factory leather trim from dealer parts), steel bumper group (front steel factory bumper is fine, rear is junk-installed Warn Elite front & rear), Alpine 8.4 upgrade (on 2-door JL's the 'sub' is in the center floor of the rear cargo area, I wanted to keep the concealed storage bin and I wanted better audio performance, planned a custom audio build).

Would have ordered if available then: Full time 4WD system for Rubi and the front trail camera.

Last edited:

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
I haven't took delivery yet, but struggled with a few options before finally submitting my order

JLUR
Sting Gray....liked silver and white too, but Sting Gray was the winner by far

Tow pkg -was must have with some sea doos and aux switches made it no brainer

Cold weather pkg- don't really need it much in So Cal, but too nice to pass up and it gets plenty cold enough at night Dec through March

Leather-was a must have for me, it just enhances the interior so much and wife was sold once she saw one with leather interior

8.4 w/Alpine - switched out the LED's for this pkg at the end after comparing the standard 7 in to the Alpine 8.4 at my local dealer....also figure much easier to do after market LED's than the 8.4 and Alpine

Painted fenders, with black hard top- Hard top was must have and I liked the look of the painted fenders with the black top the best.

2.0 turbo vs V6....I went with the 2.0 after talking to a few service dept employees(tech, service rep) and some other Jeep guys at ORW

Almost went with the upgraded wheels, but figure I would most likely swap out with aftermarket wheels very soon anyways

I know I will have zero regrets with my JLUR .... I stretched the budget a little bit, because I didn't want to have any regrets if I went with a lesser model, so I know I will be happy with my final build no matter how I spec'd it:rock:

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I took every option available except the smokers package on both of my Jeep’s. I’m glad I did too because I’ve used options that I thought I’d never use. Ex. Towing, and if you decide to sell or trade in, these options bring up your value.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
one thing i like about my key fob, is that it let's me lock the doors while the JLU engine is running, keeping my dogs safe when I run into 7-11.
Cold weather package is a must, along side tow package and of course 7 inch screen upgrade.
Don't forget the 3 piece hard top.

RobAmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L Turbo Diesel Rubicon
I bought mine off the lot as it was the for the most part the exact package I wanted. The only thing I did not get was the front trail cam and wish I did. Not a biggie but no easy way to add it after at least the OEM one.

Mine came with the dual top which I would of only went with the hard top but the dealership was nice and bought the soft top back so a win there.

Love the diesel option too. Actually love the Jeep, it is just fun (except when windy ;))

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...we definitely wish we would have gotten the tow package and remote start.

I’ll be taking it into the dealership in April to get the trailer brake, towing harness, auxiliary switch bank, and tow hitch, but the cost is unbelievable to get it added on...
FWIW, installing a Class III hitch on the Wrangler is dead simple no matter the brand that you purchase. The harness install is almost plug & play, too, although also a bit time consuming (CANBUS tech on the JL/JLU requires that a wire be run from the rear of the vehicle up to the positive post of the battery.)

Purchasing and installing the hitch and harness yourself will keep a fair bit of money in your pocket. You can use the savings to ease the sting when the dealer installs the auxiliary switch bank, which I'm told is somewhat labor intensive and a bit complex.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
FWIW, installing a Class III hitch on the Wrangler is dead simple no matter the brand that you purchase.
Agreed James. 4 bolts, basic tools, a.k.a. as in a wrench that's long enough to achieve recommended hitch bolt torque level.

The harness install is almost plug & play, too, although also a bit time consuming (CANBUS tech on the JL/JLU requires that a wire be run from the rear of the vehicle up to the positive post of the battery.)
James, when speaking of the electrical harness install are you referring to something like my far simpler to install basic aftermarket 4 pin harness or MOPAR's 8 pin factory harness?

If the latter, I thought I heard that this product had been redesigned since the JL's inception to allow the path the cable follows to not only be through the cabin: IMHO a relatively difficult process of getting the cable through the firewall and cabin and out the rear, but entirely below the vehicle? (BTW: many good Youtube videos exist on doing the intra-cabin cable install.)

Purchasing and installing the hitch and harness yourself will keep a fair bit of money in your pocket.
Absolutely, and why I did it. But I don't need to tow anything that uses an 8 pin harness, and I can live without the heavy duty alternator that also comes with the tow package.

You can use the savings to ease the sting when the dealer installs the auxiliary switch bank, which I'm told is somewhat labor intensive and a bit complex.
Or you could install that yourself too--although I think you might need a Jscan or Tazer to configure the switches given that if you do it yourself you don't get the dealer flash necessary for the Aux switches to be recognized.
Sponsored