Sponsored

Are there any options/specs that you regret getting OR not getting?

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Happy I did not get: Advanced Safety Group. Wrangler Windshields are prone to chipping. The ACC sensors are in the windshield. Those sensors make replacing or repairing windshields expensive and much more time consuming. I however do have the basic safety group.
Unless they moved it for 2020, that's not correct. I've had my windshield replaced, all of the sensors are located in the unit behind the windshield.
Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Unless they moved it for 2020, that's not correct. I've had my windshield replaced, all of the sensors are located in the unit behind the windshield.
Regardless, the unit needs to be re calibrated and that can take time plus money. I am going by the info a dealership mechanic told me when I was custom ordering and he was close by. He had told me to avoid ACC if possible due to that (and I did).

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Regardless, the unit needs to be re calibrated and that can take time plus money. I am going by the info a dealership mechanic told me when I was custom ordering and he was close by. He had told me to avoid ACC if possible due to that (and I did).
Not disputing what you were told.

When my windshield was replaced, they did not recalibrate the sensors and my ACC works just fine with the new windshield.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I had the auxiliary power option and the trailer tow package. I have leather seats now but have had cloth and I prefer cloth.

The one thing I regret not having the most is the LED headlights. Damn I wish I had known about them before I bought my Jl.
I agree with the trailer tow package, its worth the money and actually a value.

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Im 5 days in to my 21 JLUR. The options I picked are:

V6/Auto
Remote Start
Hardtop
LED lights
Tow/Electric Package
8.4/Alpine Audio Package

The only thing so far I kinda wish I went for is leather. And the only reason really is bc I have 2 dogs, 1 being a yellow lab. She hasn't even been near the Jeep yet and there is still hair all over the seats already. My thought process was that I had always planned to get PRP seat covers, so why spend the extra on leather just to cover it. Im still leaning that way, but the wait for the covers is like 3 months!! But there are other things I didn't realize the leather had - like the pull-down armest in the rear seat. The leather trim/red stitched arm rests on the doors, the center console top, and the gap hider for when the seats are folded down.

Sponsored

gweber

First Name
george
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport
for me its power locks. I honestly can't believe power locks aren't standard equipment on these things

Reseg

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
When I had my 2019 Sport S, there were a few things I wished it had, then bought a 2021 Rubicon that was loaded well-beyond those things, and realized there were many other things that were really nice to have.

Cloth seats: Nice seats, but I hated how the cloth seats were like dog hair magnets (worst seats for dog hair I've ever had) and a pain to get the hair off (was like glued on), so I got leather with my Rubicon, now I only have to deal with it in the carpet. But I care MUCH less about dog hair in my carpet vs seats when trying to go out on a date lol.

Proximity sensor key: Had it in my previous 3 cars and missed it. Found myself trying to push the unlock button through my pants while carrying stuff and hitting panic by accident, multiple times...

Remote start: Also had this with 3 previous cars and missed it in the office on really hot and really cold days, as well as in a hurry in the morning, because I'm always easy on the throttle until warm.

Adaptive Cruise Control: I constantly set cruise everywhere I go, even on 40mph roads. I really missed this in my previous cars as well. It's so annoying to constantly change the speed, or reset it. It defeats the point of cruise control.

LED lights: I was fine with the non-LEDs until I got my Rubicon with the LEDs... wow.

8.4" premium Alpine system: I was also fine with my 7" in my Sport S, until I got my 8.4" Alpine system. It's faster, better, bigger, great sound, and doesn't have the occasional glitches my 7" had with blank backup camera and it shutting off a couple times.

Cold Weather group: I had no desire for this, but my Rubi came with it. After this last ice storm, I realized how nice it was to have, especially with remote start and it being warmed up for my in 2 min.

Rock-Track Full-Time 4WD: My Rubi came with it and I didn't really care, but the last snow/ice we had, it was very nice to have and not worry about going back and forth between 4wd and 2wd. There were roads and areas with a lot of snow and uphill ice that 4wd was needed, then other areas there was no need for it, for the wear and tear and horrible gas mileage you get in 4wd. The system took care of it for me perfectly.

I've never, in 2 years of ownership, found the big box on the windshield to obstruct my view of anything. I see some people say it blocks their view and I can only ask "of what?"
Only thing for me is I like to glance over to watch the cross-traffic light to know when my light is about to turn. I often can't see their light without moving my head around because it's where that big box is. I'm not complaining about it and definitely don't regret having it, but I've noticed it being in the way for that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Are there any options/specs that you regret getting OR not getting? IMG_3573

Just happen to be a JLU passing when I took the pic for this post lol... not staged!

Last edited:

kbarbosa86

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU - 80th Anniversary
I would trade my adaptive cruise control for the proximity keyless entry all day long. We bought our 80th off the lot and frankly I didn't want the ACC option - but my choices were limited at the time & I didn't want to wait any longer.

My main reason for a no vote on ACC, other than I just don't use it is I have had it on other cars, our last 2015 Escalade, if you don't have glass coverage on your insurance be prepared to pay more to replace a windshield with ACC vs one that doesn't - bc of that stupid box on the windshield. I already have a chip in my windshield (yes I know part of Jeep life) and to replace it (which I am holding off for now on since it hasn't spread or stared) I am looking at several hundred $$ more because of the ACC feature 🙄. We ran into this on our Escalade also. Can you find cheaper alternatives out there, of course. It's just the principal of it. Everyone is different.

I regret not getting the proximity key at times, I was so excited that night when we bought it I forgot to check for it. My fault 100%. It's my first Wrangler and I love it, but I do wish I had that option. I have it on my demo vehicle I use for work M-F and it makes life easier. But since my JL isn't a daily driver, it's not the end of the world. My hubs 2004 F-150 doesn't have it either and we survive. But if I were to do it again, yes - Proximity key feature would be a must have.

Otherwise my JL was pretty well loaded for what I wanted. It had the LED headlights (MUST HAVE), the upgraded stereo and 8.4in screen and the cold weather package/remote start, trailer tow pkg with aux switches. I actually did not want leather seats, I prefer the cloth. So over all - it missing that 1 option, really isn't the end of the world for me. I didn't want to wait and order one. Had I did order one, yes I would have gotten it.

kbarbosa86

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wish I had gotten: Proximity Keyless Entry.

Wish I had not gotten: LED Headlamps due to Snow Buildup when driving in winter under heavy snow. That may or may not be relevant in your case given your location (NC).

Happy I got: Steel Bumper Group. I stand on the rear steel bumper whenever I am cleaning or swapping between tops (have the Dual Top Group). Maybe it is just me, but I am not real comfortable standing on a Plastic Bumper.

Happy I did not get: Advanced Safety Group. Wrangler Windshields are prone to chipping. The ACC sensors are in the windshield. Those sensors make replacing or repairing windshields expensive and much more time consuming. I however do have the basic safety group.

Happy I did not get: 6 Speed Manual Transmission. There have been multiple clutch overheating recalls/TSBs. I very strongly wanted the Manual but wife was adamant on getting an Automatic.

BINGO on the advanced safety! I hate that mine has it just for the fact it costs more to replace the windshield. I went in looking for one without it since all my past cars have had it. Thus the reason I wanted to stay away from it. But I didn't want to wait any longer when we bought our 80th. It happened to have it 😒 and yep 2 months into ownership - I regret it yet again, damn chip in the windshield.

kbarbosa86

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The LED lights might be horribly overpriced, but they're also certainly worth it.
Absolutely the LED's IMO are worth it 100%. the cost alone to swap them out you will pay more in most cases, easier to just bite the bullet and get it from the factory.

Sponsored

Ed Pursell

First Name
-Ed-
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys- 3.6 Pentastar,8 speed Auto, Selec-Trac transfer case
Occupation
Supervisor- MRO Buyer Maintenance- Pet food Mfg.
Selec-Trac is a real nice option. Didn’t have it on my 2012 or my 2016, but got it on my 2021. It’s just nice with mixed winter weather road conditions in my neck of the woods.

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
Before placing my order asked the same question. Had no idea the tow package included 4 electrical hook ups so added that to my order. After a lot of soul searching upgraded to a Rubicon because I knew larger tires would be coming soon then regearing. It was a lot easier to just order the Rubicon and be done with it.
Its a lot easier selling a Rubicon instead of posting a ad for a Sport S then trying to get money for high value items such as gears, lockers, or axles.
My JK had leather and I stayed with cloth this time around. Very happy with my choice as the seats are very comfortable and they will not burn my legs on a hot summer day.

Last edited:

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Hi guys,

Ordering a JLUR next week.

I have slaved over all the different options. I think I've finally got it ironed out.

But, change my mind...

Tell me what you wish you would have gotten or wish you didn't get.
If I was placing my order today, I would add the heavy duty tailgate reinforcement hinge option. I wish I had ordered that option.

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
My 2 cents.
Well, my 2020 JLUR has the Infotainment system & 8.4" screen, V6 (non bsg), automatic, proximity, cloth, hard top.
It doesn't have steel bumpers, cold weather package, tow package, ACC Safety, leather, or LED package.

Dealer did install the tow package with the switches & activated them, & included higher rated alternator as well, they also threw in heated seats.

I really wish I had gotten the cold weather package though, just for the heated steering wheel. Glad I got the tow package added. LED lights are really a lot better than the regular lights for sure. But, aftermarket has some nice stuff. So, kind of glad I didn't pay for the LED package. Very glad I don't have leather, I sweat a lot sitting on leather & it gets hot in the spring/summer here in the south. Didn't care for ACC Safety package as I would never use it. Plan on aftermarket bumpers, just like the looks of some aftermarket better. Didn't want soft top, I would have been worried about it getting vandalized. People here tend to break into our vehicles when parked at work.

Otherwise, I really like it, just as it sits. Some nice tech, but not too much.

I agree with @Chocolate Thunder
BIG +1 on front trail camera, that is coming for sure.

Hope this helps some!
:like: