Sponsored

Are there any options/specs that you regret getting OR not getting?

OP
OP
ToothMechanic

ToothMechanic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Billet JLUR
You guys are hitting on some of the things I had skipped.

Only a few big skips. Has almost everything else.

Off road camera (I don't like the intense off road trails where you need to spot yourself, no other purpose IMO)

Proximity entry (My other new car has this and I rarely use it....but it's a sports car not a hauler/DD so maybe I should get this)

Advanced safety (the big box on the windshield worried me, no other reason to skip)

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Off road camera (I don't like the intense off road trails where you need to spot yourself, no other purpose IMO)

Proximity entry (My other new car has this and I rarely use it....but it's a sports car not a hauler/DD so maybe I should get this)

Advanced safety (the big box on the windshield worried me, no other reason to skip)
I've never, in 2 years of ownership, found the big box on the windshield to obstruct my view of anything. I see some people say it blocks their view and I can only ask "of what?"

Archeonomy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vanderhall
Yes. If I was doing this again I would have ordered a Willy's with the 2.72:1 Selec-Trac® Full-Time 4WD System.

I didn't even know that was a thing at the time I ordered my Sport S - the first time I'd ever heard of it was when someone in here mentioned it a month ago.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I'd like to have gotten proximity keys and the forward camera.

The camera wasn't available as mines a 2018. Been thinking of adding them afterwards but the proximity seems very difficult and the dealer won't do it.

Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Yes. If I was doing this again I would have ordered a Willy's with the 2.72:1 Selec-Trac® Full-Time 4WD System.

I didn't even know that was a thing at the time I ordered my Sport S - the first time I'd ever heard of it was when someone in here mentioned it a month ago.
I almost bought a Wrangler from MD that did not have this, but the deal didn't go thru.
So it gave me time to do more homework and this was ordered in my factory build.
For fuel economy 2H I'm guessing ...I'll know when I get delivery.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've never, in 2 years of ownership, found the big box on the windshield to obstruct my view of anything.

I see some people say it blocks their view and I can only ask "of what?"
General visibility -- i.e., looking into the turn -- when at a busy intersection.

The foregoing is cross-pollination of a good riding habit that has kept me safely vertical on a motorcycle for many years. It's taught at the Advanced Riding training that I've taken, so it's a proven methodology.

Even the rear view mirror can foul our forward view, depending on circumstances at the time. That the Wrangler's windshield is fairly vertical and thus not very tall (whereas I am tall, as are other JL owners) makes the matter of general visibility a continuing concern...one that may be exacerbated by the so-called big box on the windscreen. That's certainly the case in my wife's CR-V, which has the full suite of electronic things like adaptive cruise control and thus the same windscreen box.

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
Just picked up my new JL 80th Edition on Monday. I got the remote start and Universal Garage Door opener and both come in VERY handy each morning. Kinda wish I'd gotten the proximity entry. I have it on my '17 Renegade and I like it. If the LED light package wasn't so horribly overpriced, I would have gotten that.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
General visibility -- i.e., looking into the turn -- when at a busy intersection.

The foregoing is cross-pollination of a good riding habit that has kept me safely vertical on a motorcycle for many years. It's taught at the Advanced Riding training that I've taken, so it's a proven methodology.

Even the rear view mirror can foul our forward view, depending on circumstances at the time. That the Wrangler's windshield is fairly vertical and thus not very tall (whereas I am tall, as are other JL owners) makes the matter of general visibility a continuing concern...one that may be exacerbated by the so-called big box on the windscreen. That's certainly the case in my wife's CR-V, which has the full suite of electronic things like adaptive cruise control and thus the same windscreen box.
I agree with you about the good driving habits. I'm 6'2 and can touch my head to the sound bar behind me if I sit up straight enough. My point was simply that if I need to look ahead to where I'm going, I don't have much of a problem craning forward to get an unobstructed view.

To your point, I suppose I could have more accurately said that the box behind the rearview mirror doesn't really block that much that isn't already blocked by the rearview mirror. I have zero problems moving my body about in the driver's seat to ensure that maneuvers are safely executed. I'm not saying that you do have this problem nor am I accusing you of anything, I'm just making the case that the box is not an obstruction to a driver who will do the things necessary to be a safe vehicle operator.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Just picked up my new JL 80th Edition on Monday. I got the remote start and Universal Garage Door opener and both come in VERY handy each morning. Kinda wish I'd gotten the proximity entry. I have it on my '17 Renegade and I like it. If the LED light package wasn't so horribly overpriced, I would have gotten that.
The LED lights might be horribly overpriced, but they're also certainly worth it.

Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
We pretty much ticked all of the boxes when ordering our 2021 JLUR. The only thing I haven't found as useful as I though is the front trail camera. We wheel a lot, but I just haven't found it that helpful. My wife insisted on the Adaptive Cruise, which I would've skipped, but I do use it a lot (and did in our previous Grand Cherokee).

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I wish I had the auxiliary power option and the trailer tow package. I have leather seats now but have had cloth and I prefer cloth.

The one thing I regret not having the most is the LED headlights. Damn I wish I had known about them before I bought my Jl.

Ibshake

First Name
Ibrahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I didn’t get the trailer tow and the electrical package. Wasn’t able to add it to my order afterwards. Still regret it

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Hi guys,

Ordering a JLUR next week.

I have slaved over all the different options. I think I've finally got it ironed out.

But, change my mind...

Tell me what you wish you would have gotten or wish you didn't get.
Wish I had gotten: Proximity Keyless Entry.

Wish I had not gotten: LED Headlamps due to Snow Buildup when driving in winter under heavy snow. That may or may not be relevant in your case given your location (NC).

Happy I got: Steel Bumper Group. I stand on the rear steel bumper whenever I am cleaning or swapping between tops (have the Dual Top Group). Maybe it is just me, but I am not real comfortable standing on a Plastic Bumper.

Happy I did not get: Advanced Safety Group. Wrangler Windshields are prone to chipping. The ACC sensors are in the windshield. Those sensors make replacing or repairing windshields expensive and much more time consuming. I however do have the basic safety group.

Happy I did not get: 6 Speed Manual Transmission. There have been multiple clutch overheating recalls/TSBs. I very strongly wanted the Manual but wife was adamant on getting an Automatic.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

I hated the idea of the view obstructing box that ACC requires. In real life, it’s a 100% non issue. I’m relieved.

You’ll find use for the front trail camera besides off-roading. Pulling up to parking bollards or a wall in a garage. Reading the bumper sticker on the car ahead that you’ve pulled up to close to at a stop light. Making sure a toddler isn’t hiding in front of your Jeep to jump out and scare you. Etc.
Sponsored