Sponsored

Are there any cargo racks that occupy a spare tire delete?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I would like to add a cargo rack, but am not ready to go with a roof rack.

The racks that fit behind and over the spare tire seem suitable for my needs, but it seems like a rack that was specifically made to replace the volume currently occupied by the tire would be even more useful, for someone willing to run a spare delete, to carry lightweight camping gear.

Are there any racks like this on the market?

Thank you!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This is a rough sketch of the idea I have been thinking of:

Jeep Wrangler JL Are there any cargo racks that occupy a spare tire delete? Spare Delete Cargo Rack 01A

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yes, that is the style of rack that has inspired the idea, so what I was thinking was adding the extra outboard vertical posts to make a box frame with the hope that the entire assembly would be stiff and secure.

Here's is a better example of the idea I would like to pursue:

Jeep Wrangler JL Are there any cargo racks that occupy a spare tire delete? Spare Delete Cargo Rack 01B

I am thinking about aluminum square tube to reserve the tailgate's weight limit for the actual gear I want to carry.

There is a top notch aluminum fabricator in town. I may rework the plan with detailed dimensions and approach him to see if he would consider the project and offer a one off quote.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
My interest is in having more space to stow stuff where the spare tire normally resides.

The LOD solution would cost $2000 plus, just to get back to square one, which is to address the desire to add some sort of custom shelf to hold stuff where the spare tire usually resides.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
My interest is in having more space to stow stuff where the spare tire normally resides.

The LOD solution would cost $2000 plus, just to get back to square one, which is to address the desire to add some sort of custom shelf to hold stuff where the spare tire usually resides.
Sure..no problem on LOD not right for you.

Do you weld or have access to those who do? If not, although not cheap, these guys can provide the square tubing and connectors to get you to where you want to be on this project:

http://8020.net/

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I like how simple that particular tail gate reinforcement seems. It exploits the ability of the primary plane of the steel plate to resist the downward force, without the structure being bulky or obtrusive.

Plus, it seems like it would be a good candidate for additional through holes, so you could mount do-dads and such.

Thank you for the link!

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This rack, made by Hanson, seems like it was made for what I have in mind, but I have no idea how you are supposed to mount it or how you would easily access the tire.

If this thing was available mounted on a swing away with a custom bumper, and maybe had a driver side support connection to beef it up, I would be ready to buy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Are there any cargo racks that occupy a spare tire delete? JC5_medium

www.hansonoffroad.com/

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Maybe your Aluminum fabricator could make this, the bottom part could bolt to factory spare tire carrier location, and the top part could be a drop in ,telescopic square tubing, with pins for height adjustments. Your spare tire can weigh 75 + lbs, so the factory tailgate is pretty robust without any additional reinforcement.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
You seem to have some familiarity with computer aided design. Try 8020.net if you ultimately are keen on having something suited to your vision. You can build a DIY skeleton and attach off the shelf cargo racks.

Reactions: GtX

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL