Sponsored

Are the TPMS worth more than the stock all seasons?

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
I'm going larger with my tires. I'm also going to go with after market wheels to go with them. So my question is the TPMS worth more then the stock rims & Dueller All Seasons with 3k miles??? I am curious on what everyone has to say on this. Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Matstock4

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
No. You can buy a set of 5 replacement TPMS on eBay for <$60.
From what I saw for non-knock off OEM it was like $30-$60per. Even quadratechs version was almost $40. I guess I need to put a lil more work into finding a better deal!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
From what I saw for non-knock off OEM it was like $30-$60per. Even quadratechs version was almost $40. I guess I need to put a lil more work into finding a better deal!
If you want to pay the extra money to get them from the dealer or Quadratec they’ll be much more. The eBay ones I bought look and perform identical to Mopar ones. I think they are the exact same. Not a single glitch in 20K miles.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Yes they are more expensive. The cheap knock off Chinese sensors are not working for most especially when added to thicker ply tires and a lift. An OE sensor not from a dealer is going to cost you $30~ a wheel for Schrader who is the OE manufacturer. The stuff for a set for less than $60 is junk, won’t last and probably won’t work in an after market situation.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yes they are more expensive. The cheap knock off Chinese sensors are not working for most especially when added to thicker ply tires and a lift. An OE sensor not from a dealer is going to cost you $30~ a wheel for Schrader who is the OE manufacturer. The stuff for a set for less than $60 is junk, won’t last and probably won’t work in an after market situation.
I don’t know about the “cheap knock off Chinese sensors” you referenced that don’t work. Mine are made in the UK. They have worked flawlessly over 20K mikes. They are made by Schrader. They cost about $55 (I think) for a set of 5.

Your experience may be different. How long did your cheap Chinese ones last and what sort of problems did you have with them?

JoshuaaT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
2014+ JK sensors also work in the JL. I was able to pick up a used OEM set for $15 on Ebay. I’ve put 17k miles on them without a single issue.

Part # 56029398AB

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I got the cheapies and the JL never picked up the sensors, so I may transfer my stock ones over to my bigger wheel/tire set.

Good to know about used JK sensors, might be a plan on a budget.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I don’t know about the “cheap knock off Chinese sensors” you referenced that don’t work. Mine are made in the UK. They have worked flawlessly over 20K mikes. They are made by Schrader. They cost about $55 (I think) for a set of 5.

Your experience may be different. How long did your cheap Chinese ones last and what sort of problems did you have with them?
I promise you with 1000% certainly your Schrader sensors for $11 are fake or VERY old. I buy directly from Schrader as well as every other major manufacturer and Schrader does not sell ANY sensor for $11 even at cost. I am glad they are working for you but they are not Schrader.

2014+ JK sensors also work in the JL. I was able to pick up a used OEM set for $15 on Ebay. I’ve put 17k miles on them without a single issue.

Part # 56029398AB
This is correct IF you do not have the new tech where in the 20 JL's they have what is called Tire Inflation Alert where when your tire is to the recommended PSI the Jeep will honk. That is a different sensor 29117 from Schrader. The other is a 20398.

JoshuaaT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6 Speed
Vehicle Showcase
This is correct IF you do not have the new tech where in the 20 JL's they have what is called Tire Inflation Alert where when your tire is to the recommended PSI the Jeep will honk. That is a different sensor 29117 from Schrader. The other is a 20398.
Good to know. I presume this also applies to the Gladiator, correct?