Sponsored

Are the steering issues resolved in the 2023 models?

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
‘21 JLU; and as others have said I expected the worst based on… internet lore? I have to believe it’s just that, because I have had no issues driving at any speed in this Jeep. Tracks true no matter the road conditions.
Sponsored

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
‘23 UR XR 3.6. Front end feels twitchy, nervous, needs continuous input at the steering wheel. Otherwise it will wander a bit. Came from the factory with 44 psi all around. Lowered to 33 and it helped a lot. Not completely but enough to where the wife is ok with it. We may look into adjustable lca’s down the road.

Byrds8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Beach, 2022 JLU High Tide
Me and the wife both have a Beach and High Tide. The steering felt twitchy in mine til I lowered the pressure and changed the LCAs. It doesnt take much to move the wheels and drift with it. I am running about 33psi on mine. I think they drive fine personally.

Bradley

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
Everyone will have their own opinions on this. Some people grew up driving 4x4s and are use to it so the latest advancements the JL has brought to the SFA steering and drivability characteristics will seem great to those. However, if you're used to driving an IFS then the SFA will feel odd at high speeds due to the nature of the technology. Best advice I can give is to test drive one and see for yourself. I doubt the 23's are that much better than previous model years... if anything I think its a quality control thing and some people get luckier than others.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Just the nature of driving with solid front axles.
Nailed it. The JL drives as well with a solid front axle as ANY other vehicles with the same front suspension.

Sponsored

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
22' JLR, when I was driving it home from the dealership it was acting very strange at highway speeds. Front and back end where swaying back and forth and it felt very out of control. This continued for some time. Read lots of theory's on the internet from tire pressure to high too needs longer lower control arms.... As I continued to drive it got better and better and by 10K miles I realized it was no longer an issue. Have not made any modifications to the Jeep other than run the tire pressure slightly be below the recommended 37psi, usually around 35 psi cold tire pressure. Not sure if the suspension was stiff and needed to be broken in or the tires needed wear or what, but it drives fine now. Take it on road trips all the time and enjoying it.
I second this. When I drove my 2022 JLURD back to Texas from Gupton in Tennessee, it was worrisome at above 75mph. However, by the time I reached the Texas border, it drove fantastic for a Jeep. I haven't had an issue since.

Xorak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellayella Sport, 2023 Reign Sahara
My 2020 (with the updated steering box) needs much more steering wheel input than my 2021. However, the steering corrections needed to go straight are exactly the same between them when I drive the same roads back to back. The power steering in the 2020 seems to be more powerful than the 2021. The 2021 has a tighter steering feel and the 2020 feels over-assisted.

I really hope the 2023 that is replacing the 2021 is as good as the 2021 is now.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I had a 2019 Moab that I got rid of in the first year because off how terrifying the steering was at higher speeds. I'm interested in the 4xe models... are the steering issues resolved?
The steering on my 19 wasn't great, steering on my wife's 20 was awful. But I will say my 22 4xe steers great, no issues at any speed. I don't know if the weight and position of the batteries help or what, but I have zero complaints.

I don't recall seeing any steering complaints on a 4xe, but take a look at the 4xe section of this forum.

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Seems just fine to me in a '22 JLUR. I assume it's good at 95mph, I've never tried that because that's higher than any limit around me but I strongly feel like it would be fine.

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
What about the death wobble in 2023 - did they fix that? Or what needs to be done to a new vehicle (am expecting) to prevent it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
It’s still a Jeep, you’re not a Jeep person. Buy some thing else you’ll be more happy.
I'm so tired of comments like this. There's Jeep steering, and then there's factory defect steering. I've had a Jeep since 2017 with zero issues. My 2019 Moab had terrifying steering, and many, MANY people have experienced the same thing. It's a known issue.

xtalfu

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS Sport
The steering on my 2021 JLU Sport is fine if I stay under 75 mph. Above that, it depends. I believe it’s related to the aerodynamics and the tires more than to the steering mechanism itself. On a windy day on a freeway packed with trucks passing left and right, you really need to pay attention, because the Jeep has a mind of its own. But the rest of time, it’s not better /not worse than a regular SUV.

rkeen81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon/2023 JLU Rubicon 4xe (Hydro Blue
I have a 2023 4xe Rubicon. The steering is wayyyy better than my 2019 Rubicon. Much tighter. Might just be a brand new steering stabilizer though?

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Most so called steering issues are tire related. Put highway tires on it, youll be amazed at how well it handles and how comfy it is. I put maxxis ats on my rubicon and it is ultra smooth and stable now, whereas it was a mess before.
Sponsored