Sponsored

Are the JL Wranglers over priced...

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Yeah, just because someone doesn't feel like it's a good value for them or they can't afford one doesn't make it overpriced. I've never understood that logic but this is a dead horse that will keep coming up over and over.

It's only "over priced" if they can't sell them.

Lurvis33

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t say the Wrangler is overpriced but some of the common options that people want is. $2,000 for an Automatic and a combined $1,690 for LED+Safety Group is way above what others either include as standard or charge less to add

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Take a look at all the standard features included in a base model Grand Cherokee Laredo compared to a Wrangler. It will make your stomach ache.

Of course Jeep has much greater competition in the SUV market so they must compete on features and price. Not the case with the Wrangler. No direct competition.

Time will tell if JL does the same sales numbers as JK. If not, Jeep can always offer rebates to lower the price if needed.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Take a look at all the standard features included in a base model Grand Cherokee Laredo compared to a Wrangler. It will make your stomach ache.

Of course Jeep has much greater competition in the SUV market so they must compete on features and price. Not the case with the Wrangler. No direct competition.

Time will tell if JL does the same sales numbers as JK. If not, Jeep can always offer rebates to lower the price if needed.
Yes but how much is the option to turn the Grand Cherokee into a full convertible with no doors and a folding windshield while maintain all the safety requirements from the government? :jk:

Sponsored

jeepin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
I believe that Jeep has overpriced the JL and as a result I think a slightly used JL would be a potentially a better buy.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator

It was interesting in a different thread, to examine the historic sales of the various Wrangler versions. After visiting a fan site such as this, a casual viewer might walk away thinking Rubicon is a much more purchased version than it really is. In a similar vein, while fans here will easily see the differences between the JK and JL (perhaps even overemphasizing the differences in some regards), I bet the average public might not see the JK/JL as all that different. In fact when I mentioned "redesign" to some people not as much into Jeeps, they were surprised it was redesigned because to them it looked much the same. Bottom line - JL might be an easy sell to some Wrangler fans, but especially with the higher price, jury is out in terms of overall demand and sales. How elastic is the price - how many thousands can Jeep stretch the price before there is significant negative sales impact? Time will tell.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Depreciation is typically the largest expense in car ownership, at least for the first 5 years or so. A Cherokee/Grand Cherokee depreciates roughly twice as fast as a Wrangler, making a $35k Cherokee actually more expensive than a $48k Wrangler, in terms of total cost of ownership.

If you drive your vehicles until they are rusted heaps, then fast depreciation is actually a good thing; means lower property taxes in many states. For those of us that change vehicles every few years, depreciation is everything.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Yes but how much is the option to turn the Grand Cherokee into a full convertible with no doors and a folding windshield while maintain all the safety requirements from the government? :jk:

Not to mention the GC which is a fine SUV, is at the end of its lifecycle and will be redone soon... price will also increase Id imagine

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
In a free market economy...It's not overpriced.

That said, can you really put a value on the "cool factor?"

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
That said, can you really put a value on the "cool factor?"
Apparently you can, because a Ferrari 488 or G-Wagen or Bollinger B1 or any number of $100k+ vehicles are undeniably 'cooler' than a Wrangler.

Documan.Terry

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 1989 V3500 3+3 Chevy, 2010 Camaro SS 6 speed
People have a hard time swallowing the price of a Jeep Wrangler... Thank the side by sides and Jeep introducing the wrangler in 4 door. Now it still has the market cornered on being a "jeep" but its also now a family vehicle. If you want a solid axle front end in a vehicle, outside a wrangler... good luck.

With the new tech and redesign in my opinion the JLs are far superior to the JKs, especially in the look department. Adding all those options is what is going to make jeep $$$$ a base price Rubicon is closer to 40k, one of those mildly optioned out gets to 43-44k and for a trail rig with 33" that has a warranty and the capability to go almost anywhere, its almost justifiable.

I'm in it for the actual capabilities, to end up with a 38k sport or sport S... that's a dump and I understand that argument completely. base model prices are what confuse me.... so I guess ill keep blaming the side by sides!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Apparently you can, because a Ferrari 488 or G-Wagen or Bollinger B1 or any number of $100k+ vehicles are undeniably 'cooler' than a Wrangler.
Idk about other people but I find the G wagon an ugly vehicle and not cool at all lol yeah it's luxurious and all but the single time I drove one for a couple blocks didn't make me feell cool or anything special only a douche hahaha. I believe it is overpriced for what it is. Ferrari on the other hand, yeah cool as hell if I could drive/own one...but coolest car ever for me is a wran gler and although price is on the high side, it's well worth it.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
It is not the JL doesn't fit my requirements, it does very well but is just way over priced compared to other jeeps

agree the top off is very cool for soft tops, although the freedom hard tops with removable panels are equivalent or less than pano sun roof IMHO... it has become vary obvious to me when comparing the jeep line, the JL will be THE cash cow for FCA, which i don't have a problem with (not a lot of competition compared to suv/csuv markets) however the best value (non rock climbing) lies in other jeep models
It is also way more capable than any other Jeep.
Sponsored