Sponsored

Are the JL Wranglers over priced...

ddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Are the JL Wranglers over priced... if you just want a 4x4 that can go off road (dirt, 2 tracks, trails, snow, tow, etc), but not rock climb it seems the JL and specifically the JLU are over priced compared to other Jeep options like the Grand Cherokee Sterling Edition and the Cherokee Trail Hawk.

See below. As much as I was looking forward to buying a JLU Wranglar, I think I will be going with the Grand Cherokee Sterling in that it provides much more value for my needs for the $$, including more room, towing, better mpg, etc. Note my need for this vehicle are to have it up at a lake house that can tow boats and seadoos 2 times a year, take garbage to the dump, general utility SUV/Truck/Vehicle, haul people around, and to keep miles off primary daily driver. What I am I missing, thought, comments, etc

18 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara MSRP $49,620
  • 3.6L V6
  • 8 speed auto
  • anti spin diff
  • select trac 4wd
  • Engine block heater
  • LED lighting
  • Cold Weather Group
  • Trailer Tow and HD ED Group (3500 lbs)
  • Black Freedom Top
  • 18" Gray polished wheels
  • All Terrain Tires
  • Leather Trimed Seats
  • Alpine Prem Audio
  • Hard Top Headliner
18 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sterling 4x4 MSRP $45,475
  • 3.6L V6
  • 8 speed auto
  • Engine Block Heater
  • 20 inch Hertige Alum Wheels
  • Black Leather Trimmed Seatrs
  • Trailer Tow Group IV (6200 lbs)
  • Sterling Luxury Edition

18 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk 4x4 MSRP $34,285
  • 3.2L V6
  • 9 speed auto
  • Engine Block Heater
  • Trailer Tow Group (4500 lbs)
  • Cold Weather Group
  • comfort / Conv Group
  • Pano sun roof
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokee, Mini Countryman S
To me a huge part of the Wrangler's appeal is the fact that it is a convertible. I'm an avid hiker/backpacker/camper and to me there's nothing like having the roof off while driving into mother nature. To be able to do that with my family and all their gear is priceless.

I would say that if the top isn't a factor and that what you listed are the only things you will use the Wrangler for, then for you specifically the JLU doesn't fit your requirements very well.

It seems like the GC is a much better choice for your lifestyle.

OP
OP

ddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
It is not the JL doesn't fit my requirements, it does very well but is just way over priced compared to other jeeps

agree the top off is very cool for soft tops, although the freedom hard tops with removable panels are equivalent or less than pano sun roof IMHO... it has become vary obvious to me when comparing the jeep line, the JL will be THE cash cow for FCA, which i don't have a problem with (not a lot of competition compared to suv/csuv markets) however the best value (non rock climbing) lies in other jeep models

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Are we really having this conversation again? Please use that magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner of the UCP before creating a new thread topic that's already been created, multiple times.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
actually i did a search on 'price' 'competition' and found two threads but the theme was all competition (i.e. 4x4, SUVs, etc) and not just within the Jeep family, if I missed threads, please reference... I will be really curious to see how the JL sells

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
actually i did a search on 'price' 'competition' and found two threads but the theme was all competition (i.e. 4x4, SUVs, etc) and not just within the Jeep family, if I missed threads, please reference... I will be really curious to see how the JL sells

It will sell like hot cakes.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Not sure why you think the Trailhawk is a much better value. Our 3.6L Trailhawk stickered for $49,800 or so. Right in nicely equipped JLU Rubicon territory.

2018-01-18_7-13-06.png

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
ddd is technically right: I’ve not seen any threads with detailed comparisons against the Jeep line other than the JK.

Still, the arguments are going to be the same, the conclusions are going to be the same. Let it die.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yep, we've hashed this out a hundred times. For the same money, you can drive almost anything from a full size crew cab 4x4 pickup to a 470 HP muscle car to every Jeep in between. The JL is extremely overpriced, and will continue to be that way as long as people are willing to buy them. Is a convertible top and removable doors worth thousands of dollars to you? It's up to you to decide.

My wife just bought a 2018 Cherokee 4x4 with leather seats, 8.4" UConnect, heated steering wheel and seats, power everything, nice alloy wheels, HID lights, the whole nine yards. Price? $25,840 (sticker was a little over $29,000)

Sponsored

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Just a point of reference 20 years ago a top end 2 door jeep, a Sahara started at $30,500 in today’s money. And those things were really just had cosmetic upgrades over the base model @ $21,500. Think about the technology in them now.

LSUMaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
The fact that some dealers will only give you 3% below invoice on a Trailhawk, but 5% below invoice on the Wrangler, and the fat that many dealers are now discounting Wrangler orders tells me the Wrangler won't be selling like hotcakes... It will sell, but not as expected. I don't think it's overpriced, but it's very close to that. You can get a trail hawk with all bells and whistles with Hemi for the price of a Rubicon that's "decently" equipped.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Not sure why you think the Trailhawk is a much better value. Our 3.6L Trailhawk stickered for $49,800 or so. Right in nicely equipped JLU Rubicon territory.
I thought he was off too. Had to look again. He did say Cherokee, not Grand.
ddd is technically right: I’ve not seen any threads with detailed comparisons against the Jeep line other than the JK.

Still, the arguments are going to be the same, the conclusions are going to be the same. Let it die.
Agreed. And agreed. Everyone's value of that top down open air, doors off, wrangler 4WD feeling is going to vary. If the OP wants less expensive for a lake house vehicle, he seems a perfect candidate for a JK.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Ah, completely missed that. Cherokee and JL are in completely different leagues on that front. The JGC Trailhawk would be the closest thing in Jeep's lineup so I assumed he was comparing those.

I thought he was off too. Had to look again. He did say Cherokee, not Grand.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
When I get a JL, it will be my 4th Wrangler. While I never considered Wranglers "cheap", I never questioned the value I was getting. This time around, I am somewhat questioning that when I price out what I would want to get. Seeing a ~30k vehicle in today's market that doesn't have AC kinda makes you think twice. Ironically, I am less bothered by the price of a Ruby than I am the price of a Sport for some reason.

Regardless, current a JL is way out of my price range....hoping to be able to afford one in a year or two. First time ever that that is the case for me when wanting a Wrangler.

All that said, Jeep will sell them as fast as they can make them so all the talk about price and being overpriced is moot. Something is only over priced if they don't sell.
Sponsored