Are the JL Wranglers over priced...

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I think people are using "over-priced" in different ways. Yes, most people know how market works, and in that regard "over-priced" will be determined if Jeep is not able to sell the Wrangler at the quantity it wants at the targeted price. Likewise, if "pharma bro" can still make sales of a life saving drug at 1000% markup, then under that usage the drug is not "over-priced".

I think what some people mean is they feel the Wrangler is over-priced for what the vehicle provides, particularly in relation to other vehicles. And there are indeed objective measures of that, such as examining the feature sets compared to price. For example, if a buyer is getting air and all kinds of features on a modern vehicle, and for same or greater price are getting older tech ladder frame live axle vehicle without even air, then a case can be made. Or comparisons can be made using historical pricing, and rate of price increase of different makes/models.

On the other hand, Wrangler offers open top doors off driving, and ladder frame live axle platform that can excel at certain types of off-road driving. So that definitely has value to some people, especially if those features are "unobtanium" on any other vehicle.
Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Just sold my 2015 Rubicon HR at 75% of the original price after 3 years. Not too many vehicles retain value like this.....so this needs to be factored into any discussions about price and value.

My trade in on my 2014 Willy’s JKU with 65,000 miles is ridiculously good as well ( not that far off your number)and my new JLUR which is more expensive of course was purchased at about 4% below invoice, I expect the new JL’s will hold value as well.... many people dont factor that in, but they certainly should.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Yes but the minute they did that, people would be saying "but I don't want this or that" "why am I paying for that" I want it stripped down ". Jeep can't win.....
Jeep set a precedent by including standard LED package on Sahara and Rubi JK.

JL buyers feel they are being ripped off because now they cost $895. The JL is newer, has more tech and is more expensive, yet has Halogens standard. WTF?

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Just sold my 2015 Rubicon HR at 75% of the original price after 3 years. Not too many vehicles retain value like this.....so this needs to be factored into any discussions about price and value.
Good to know. Mine is a 2015 Hard Rock as well, loaded. Just ordered my JL Monday. As I get closer I'm going to try and sell mine and avoid getting hammered on trade. I'm way ahead as I put down 6K, paid on it 3 years and bought it @ invoice. They are still listed pretty high @ dealers. My thinking is get more than Black Book shows for trade but sell less than what the dealers are selling for, somewhere in the middle. Might send you a PM.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
Just using the Jeep build tool....a Ruby JL equipped how I would want comes to $48,565 MSRP. Expensive...yes...currently out of my budget ...yes...."over priced" ...not in my opinion....Sale price for my wife's 17 Renegade Trailhawk was around 30k...she loves the thing....wanted cause it looked unique..and not like every other SUV like her Cherokee did...its fun little "car" to drive...but to me for what you got that was overpriced. A Ruby is easily 5x the vehicle.

tldr: "Over priced" is all subjective.

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Actually, no. Recently, somebody on the forum posted a window sticker from a mid-1990s Wrangler with optional packages. It was a higher trim level than base. The price on it was around $14,500, which is a little over $23,000 in today's money. Clearly, Wrangler pricing has far exceeded inflation.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ce-1997-window-sticker.2595/page-3#post-42335

By this logic, those bags of ice that people sell for $20 each after a hurricane are very fairly priced. C'mon man..
So called "price gouging" is a perfect example of how the market balances supply with demand. To the extent that laws against it are effective, it contributes to shortages and underground markets.

OP
OP

ddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
It looks like this is a bit of a touchy subject for some... I hope it does sell like 'hot cakes'...

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
My old Rubi vs this rubi was actually MAYBE a 5-6k difference...….and after seeing it, driving it they "didn't" over price it, I can see where I'm receiving an extra 5-6k worth of stuff vs my old rubi

MSRP of my rubi was something like 63/64 (CDN), MSRP of my 2017 was 57-58, after my discount it was 51 for one and 56 for this one, so over priced? I'm getting my moneys worth

Now my opinion, Jeeps get Chryslers "Last" gen vehicle tech, that Console Screen I saw on another chysler product that was assigned to us (not the 7" but the one below it), that was 2013 or 2014 ish, think it was a dodge journey, the 8.4" Uconnect has been around since oh....2012?2013?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-...-RADIO-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-/151761670560

Walking in I know this, I see myself with leather dash (guessing 500-700), integrated heated steering wheel (200), the uConnect lets say 1000 yada yada yada add it up youll find your 3000-5000 more, don't forget the ride is much better than the JK series, to many things to mention are better.

Wrangler is that car every other car manufacturer wish they thought of, its the car they think WTF they change nothing for 10 years and people STILL pay 40-60k, if ford did that the universe would take a big ole charcoal on their forehead. So we the buyer pay a premium for being "idiots" who like what we like ;) its like a Harley vs an Indian, Indians get 10xs the reviews, people who ride them have many more pros vs cons vs a Harley but mentally were all traded because we just want the Harley complex....and that's our god given right, but we pay for it ;)

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
My guess is that the release of this vehicle in winter, combined with the increase in price, dealers ordering decked out ones, and JK's sitting on the lots being discounted even heavier will result in slow first quarter sales for the JL.

I had one, passed (color combo wasn't my cup of tea), and will likely just continue to slowly build my TJ until we're a year or two into the model cycle.

Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Are the JL Wranglers over priced... if you just want a 4x4 that can go off road (dirt, 2 tracks, trails, snow, tow, etc), but not rock climb it seems the JL and specifically the JLU are over priced compared to other Jeep options like the Grand Cherokee Sterling Edition and the Cherokee Trail Hawk.

See below. As much as I was looking forward to buying a JLU Wranglar, I think I will be going with the Grand Cherokee Sterling in that it provides much more value for my needs for the $$, including more room, towing, better mpg, etc. Note my need for this vehicle are to have it up at a lake house that can tow boats and seadoos 2 times a year, take garbage to the dump, general utility SUV/Truck/Vehicle, haul people around, and to keep miles off primary daily driver. What I am I missing, thought, comments, etc

18 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara MSRP $49,620
  • 3.6L V6
  • 8 speed auto
  • anti spin diff
  • select trac 4wd
  • Engine block heater
  • LED lighting
  • Cold Weather Group
  • Trailer Tow and HD ED Group (3500 lbs)
  • Black Freedom Top
  • 18" Gray polished wheels
  • All Terrain Tires
  • Leather Trimed Seats
  • Alpine Prem Audio
  • Hard Top Headliner
18 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sterling 4x4 MSRP $45,475
  • 3.6L V6
  • 8 speed auto
  • Engine Block Heater
  • 20 inch Hertige Alum Wheels
  • Black Leather Trimmed Seatrs
  • Trailer Tow Group IV (6200 lbs)
  • Sterling Luxury Edition

18 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk 4x4 MSRP $34,285
  • 3.2L V6
  • 9 speed auto
  • Engine Block Heater
  • Trailer Tow Group (4500 lbs)
  • Cold Weather Group
  • comfort / Conv Group
  • Pano sun roof
Bump for consistency 5 years later!

Seems it hasn't gotten better, only worse!

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P