Sponsored

Are the hard top rear bolts supposed to be tight/torqued down?

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
I received an accessory that I thought I would like, but returned because it didn’t fit. It required me to removed the rear two most hard top bolts. As I started to remove one, I realized the accessory wouldn’t fit. So, I tightened it back. Upon inspection of the rear 4 bolts, the two on the passenger side are tight as can be. But, the two on the drivers side seem to keep spinning if I tighten them. I turned each of the drivers sides bolts several turns and they didn’t seem to want to tighten. They were somewhat snug but wouldn’t tighten like the passenger side two bolts. Is this normal or should they tighten up? I noticed a black spacer under the bolts, so maybe they play a part? Thanks for any insight.

5B2B1388-FB16-480B-9AB0-542D50D71D6E.jpeg

CB2C9BC2-5060-4E8A-A9A5-62487ADD6663.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies. I have the SOT, so are these 4 little bolts holding the hard top down? Surely I’m missing something here?

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
So the problem here is that you bought a $75-85000 Jeep and nobody explained that the rear quarter windows on the Sky One Touch are removable. Those bolts are in fact just pins, which is why you're experiencing differing levels of tightness. They aren't bolted to anything except the plastic pins underneath. If you look to the top of the rear quarter windows, you'll see 2 levers that, when rotated, release the window and allow it to be lifted up and out. The top itself is secured by many, many bolts along the door rails and at the rearmost pillars.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the problem here is that you bought a $75-85000 Jeep and nobody explained that the rear quarter windows on the Sky One Touch are removable. Those bolts are in fact just pins, which is why you're experiencing differing levels of tightness. They aren't bolted to anything except the plastic pins underneath. If you look to the top of the rear quarter windows, you'll see 2 levers that, when rotated, release the window and allow it to be lifted up and out. The top itself is secured by many, many bolts along the door rails and at the rearmost pillars.
This is great information and wow, you really do learn something new every day. So, the plastic pins underneath are simply a mounting hole that the pins slide into and then secured with the top two handles? More specifically, who cares how tight the little bolts are that go into these pins as they don’t need to be tight? The plastic pins are just a lower anchor point so the rear window doesn’t fall out apparently. Thanks so much for clarification.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Yup. Those bolts just need to hold the pins on. I'm sure if you took a window out you could hold the pin and tighten to your desired level by hand. The actual hard top (non-SOT) has 3 bolts on each side and 2 up front attaching it to the crossbar. All torqued down.

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup. Those bolts just need to hold the pins on. I'm sure if you took a window out you could hold the pin and tighten to your desired level by hand. The actual hard top (non-SOT) has 3 bolts on each side and 2 up front attaching it to the crossbar. All torqued down.
Thank you bunches for clarifying. I can sleep much easier now knowing my hard top isn’t going to fly off.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
My 2018 JLUR came with a colorful Owner's Manual Cliff's Notes of some 75 pages or so. Obviously, it didn't cover "everything."

Learning of a more comprehensive manual on this forum, I contacted Jeep Customer Care at their toll-free number. They sent me the full 612-page black and white manual, no charge. Then a week or two later they sent me the JK Manual as well, apparently in case I was confused as to which 2018 Wrangler I had bought (they made both JK and JL models that year, confusing the dealers' Service Departments about how many quarts of oil went in the 3.6l engine. [6 in the JK, 5 in the JL, leading to many overfills of JL's.])

I don't remember which number I called, but FCA USA Customer Care's number in that "big book" above is 1-877-426-5337.

Merry, Merry and Happy, Healthy, all!

Sponsored

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did they quit putting owners manuals in new Jeeps?
Normally, I would respond with a response that is fitting for someone like you that hides behind their laptop like a coward and posts nonsensical remarks that provide no benefit and temporarily makes you feel better about yourself because of the misery you obviously live with.

However, it's Christmas and I will simply say that my owners manual does not outline in detail the black aforementioned screws nor the plastic pins underneath. Of course, I am imperfect and may have passed over that information. Since you're perfect, you must have access to an owners manual that is far more detailed than mine. Please, if you're willing, provide me with the JC Penny thickness manual that you're apparently referring to so that I can utilize for future reference.

At ease, and that is all. Merry Christmas to all.......

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2018 JLUR came with a colorful Owner's Manual Cliff's Notes of some 75 pages or so. Obviously, it didn't cover "everything."

Learning of a more comprehensive manual on this forum, I contacted Jeep Customer Care at their toll-free number. They sent me the full 612-page black and white manual, no charge. Then a week or two later they sent me the JK Manual as well, apparently in case I was confused as to which 2018 Wrangler I had bought (they made both JK and JL models that year, confusing the dealers' Service Departments about how many quarts of oil went in the 3.6l engine. [6 in the JK, 5 in the JL, leading to many overfills of JL's.])

I don't remember which number I called, but FCA USA Customer Care's number in that "big book" above is 1-877-426-5337.

Merry, Merry and Happy, Healthy, all!
Thank you. I will call and request the manual you are referencing. This is great info and much appreciated. If you lose yours, I am sure @thelastcowboy will let you borrow his heavily modified, and much more detailed copy 😁🤣

Happy holidays and cheers.

CT_Matty78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR (ordered 9/14)
Occupation
Graphic Designer + Photographer
Did they quit putting owners manuals in new Jeeps?
they actually did! you need to request a printed hard copy of them - otherwise they're only available digitally.