Sponsored

Are Sway Bar Disconnects a waste of time on a Stock Sport S suspension

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
I'll be taking our stock Sport S 2-door on a trip in a couple months, some of it over gravel roads in a hilly part of the southwest, and some of those roads have about a foot to a foot and a half deep washouts. My first thought was get some quick disconnects for the front sway bar. The more I look into this, most of the quality disconnects start at 2" of lift and go up from there. I have no desire to lift the Jeep right now as it is a daily driver, which includes quite a bit of highway driving, and I'd like to keep it as fuel efficient as possible for the next couple of years, then we'll lift it.

So my question is, with the stock Sport S suspension, am I really going to be gaining much with a quick disconnect on the sway bar?

Thanks for any and all input.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored

OP
OP
Timmyjoe

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies so far.

WreckEm711, I had not seen those. I like that design. If I go with disconnects, that's probably what I will go with.

West Tex, I had looked at the Teraflex disconnects, but I've seen repeatedly where folks with stock Sport suspensions say the links are too long and they force the sway bar to be at too steep an angle when they are attached to the axle. Have you noticed that?

I guess the real question I have is how much difference does disconnecting the sway bar make, when you are using a stock Sport S suspension. Are you really gaining that much flex with stock suspension and stock tires?

Best,
-Tim

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Consider the sway bar in a stock Rubicon. The stock Rubicon may sit a little higher than a Sport, but it doesn't have a "lift".

The front sway bar disconnect on these stock Jeeps provides a remarkable improvement in terms of smoothing out the bumps while keeping the wheels on the ground. This helps to maintain a constancy of traction which allows you to drive over bumps in a graceful and uneventful manner.

In the case of the stock Sport, there is little doubt that disconnecting the front sway bar will enhance the off road experience.

The relative "value" of any particular disconnect solution could be regarded by its the ease of use, which will affect the likelihood that it will actually be utilized.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Timmyjoe

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you think there is enough flex in the stock suspension that disconnecting the sway bar will make a difference in keeping the wheels on the ground while going thru washouts on the gravel roads?

Where I will be driving is a place where 15 years ago I couldn't get thru the washouts in a Subaru Outback. It's old gravel roads going up the side of steep hills (not mountains) where years of runoff has carved little canyons across the roadway.

Best,
-Tim

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Just get under there and remove the lower bolts, it's pretty simple, at least on level ground.
Once you do that decide for yourself if you need to make it quicker, easier w/ quick discos.
For the times I disconnect I don't need them any quicker/easier since I can have them removed while my tires air down and have them reconnected before they're aired back up.

Again, level ground makes it an easy process, is you have to do this when the Jeep is tilted or the suspension is already flexed a bit it can make it a challenge. Luckily I've been able to find level places every time ")

I keep a socket set and a quick ratchet box-end 18mm wrench in my stow bin.

And yes, there is enough flex in the stock S suspension to get quite a bit more articulation, well worth the minimal effort to remove the front bar.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
So you think there is enough flex in the stock suspension that disconnecting the sway bar will make a difference in keeping the wheels on the ground while going thru washouts on the gravel roads?

Where I will be driving is a place where 15 years ago I couldn't get thru the washouts in a Subaru Outback. It's old gravel roads going up the side of step hills (not mountains) where years of runoff has carved little canyons across the roadway.

Best,
-Tim
Absolutely worth disconnecting even stock. We disconnect my buddy's stock JLU Sahara all the time and it's so much smoother with more articulation to keep the front wheels planted.

You don't really need a product to do this, just grab a cheap wrench set to keep in the jeep and unbolt the one bolt on each side, and use small bungees to keep the link out of the way. It takes more time than a quick disconnect but is free, and you can see for yourself the benefits before you spend any money.

I use this set for my Jeep and it's gotten me through many repairs and disconnects:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLTPNV7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the small bungees, I keep a set like this in the rig also. They work great for holding the sway bar link out of the way: https://www.amazon.com/Lionma-83295...=small+bungee+cord&qid=1620237059&s=hi&sr=1-4

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
With my Stock Sport S I’m either going to just unbolt the bolts or go with the ORO SwayLOC. Those Apex also look cool. In reality I’ll probably just unbolt until I have money saved for the lift I want and then disconnects are included.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Disconnecting on rippled and washed out roads is well worth disconnecting it. Much smoother driving experience and having better articulation in the rocks is just another added bonus.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be taking our stock Sport S 2-door on a trip in a couple months, some of it over gravel roads in a hilly part of the southwest, and some of those roads have about a foot to a foot and a half deep washouts. My first thought was get some quick disconnects for the front sway bar. The more I look into this, most of the quality disconnects start at 2" of lift and go up from there. I have no desire to lift the Jeep right now as it is a daily driver, which includes quite a bit of highway driving, and I'd like to keep it as fuel efficient as possible for the next couple of years, then we'll lift it.

So my question is, with the stock Sport S suspension, am I really going to be gaining much with a quick disconnect on the sway bar?

Thanks for any and all input.

Best,
-Tim
Agree with Brad, try doing old fashion way on this trip. To actually see how much of a difference it makes for you, in the terrain you’ll be in. Of course I just push a button now, but back in the day this was my quick disconnect kit....I just unhooked the bottom swing it up and zip tie to sway bar........✌
Jeep Wrangler JL Are Sway Bar Disconnects a waste of time on a Stock Sport S suspension E5DDE687-D566-4140-9E97-5DA6A2E9409B

Last edited:

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Spend the money on a tool that will help you disconnect it quickly so you can use that same tool for many other things
https://amzn.to/3xKimu9
Jeep Wrangler JL Are Sway Bar Disconnects a waste of time on a Stock Sport S suspension 2FCBFFEB-B0A1-4074-A11A-CD986B174E68

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
West Tex, I had looked at the Teraflex disconnects, but I've seen repeatedly where folks with stock Sport suspensions say the links are too long and they force the sway bar to be at too steep an angle when they are attached to the axle. Have you noticed that?
No, the disconnects simply make it quick and easy to get more articulation off road. I've noticed no difference in the on pavement behavior when their re-connected.