Sponsored

Are stubby front bumpers needed for rock crawling?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
i am looking to buy one of two front bumpers. The smittybilt xrc or the smittybilt src. The src being the full width and the xrc being the stubby. Legally I’m not supposed to be running a stubby bumper so I was leaning towards the src but worry that will limit me when rock crawling. I’m running a 2.5” lift with 35s on my four door Rubicon if that matters. There are a log of guys running stubby front bumpers around here so I would probably be fine.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A lot of people crawl with full width bumpers. The stubby lets you get a tire onto a rock right in front the tire that a full width may otherwise prevent. You also may save some weight with a stubby vs a full width (probably very minimal SRC vs XRC). I've heard people argue that the full width offers more protection but seems to me that you're just protecting your tire and fender. Seems silly to me. But no, a stubby is certainly not necessary. For what it's worth I would do the stubby, but I'm pretty comfortable with the risk. Here that would be a minimal fine, if that, most likely just a notice to fix it.
Thanks. I ended up ordering the SRC full width. I don't commute to work so I'm not too worried about the extra weight over the XRC. I probably would never get hassled with the stubby bumper but for piece of mind I went with the full width.