Sponsored

Are rubicon axels interchangeable with sahara axels?

Moerocco

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
So I’m a new jeep owner and at first i didn’t care much for off road capabilities because I’m 95% pavement driver. However, lately i’ve been more interested in modifying my sahara and i was disappointed when i found out that i didnt get the $600 option that would’ve gave me that dana 44s in the back.

I believe my question is obvious, are Rubicon axles interchangeable with the ones the sahara has? And if not, can you guys give me suggestions about how can i make my sahara jl more capable as close as a rubicon.
Sponsored

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
So I’m a new jeep owner and at first i didn’t care much for off road capabilities because I’m 95% pavement driver. However, lately i’ve been more interested in modifying my sahara and i was disappointed when i found out that i didnt get the $600 option that would’ve gave me that dana 44s in the back.

I believe my question is obvious, are Rubicon axles interchangeable with the ones the sahara has? And if not, can you guys give me suggestions about how can i make my sahara jl more capable as close as a rubicon.
Trade it in for a Rubicon. It’ll save you a pile of cash, headache and you will still be under warranty.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Trade it in for a Rubicon. It’ll save you a pile of cash, headache and you will still be under warranty.
What he said. It makes little sense to "upgrade" to rubi parts from a cost / benefit perspective. Otherwise, just buy a stronger aftermarket setup.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's do-able, but kind of pricey and time consuming. If you have a good, trustworthy mechanic and could find someone's Rubicon take-off axles, then yes it's a bit more feasible. The prior two responses are the common response, since it's a pretty significant undertaking and a high cost endeavor.

You might be better off re-gearing your Sahara axles and upgrading the axle shafts. Unless you're planning to go big with off-roading/rock climbing, those two upgrades will get you through most of what you'll want to do.

Your Jeep is highly capable as is, so don't worry too much and enjoy it!

OP
OP

Moerocco

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
It's do-able, but kind of pricey and time consuming. If you have a good, trustworthy mechanic and could find someone's Rubicon take-off axles, then yes it's a bit more feasible. The prior two responses are the common response, since it's a pretty significant undertaking and a high cost endeavor.

You might be better off re-gearing your Sahara axles and upgrading the axle shafts. Unless you're planning to go big with off-roading/rock climbing, those two upgrades will get you through most of what you'll want to do.

Your Jeep is highly capable as is, so don't worry too much and enjoy it!
Thanks man. As far as going big, i plan on throwing 35s with rubi wheels, a 1 1/2 wheele spacer, mopar lift and call it a day. At this point, i will probably go on light to moderate off-roading maybe 3 times a months. I just want my axles to be able to back my tire-wheel setup.

Thats my dad loving the car after being effy about it at first lol

F49A2FEC-30B5-486D-827D-BEAB64A423CD.jpeg

835FFD7E-AA3A-4D82-B270-A6571238C95E.jpeg

E7324D2A-9327-49DE-BB83-3F6F1004D893.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Moerocco

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Bro im in love with the leather dash and the painted fenders. All though i greatly respect the rubicon and its off-road capabilities.

OP
OP

Moerocco

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
What he said. It makes little sense to "upgrade" to rubi parts from a cost / benefit perspective. Otherwise, just buy a stronger aftermarket setup.
Looking into dynatrac but ill wait till in certain these stock axels cant handle the 35s

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
Bro im in love with the leather dash and the painted fenders. All though i greatly respect the rubicon and its off-road capabilities.
No worries, your jeep and your pocket book.

But, a leather dash and painted fenders are cheap and easy to replace on a Rubicon as compared to replacing axles on a Sahara.

Either way, I’d just put the lift and tires on your Sahara. Wheel the hell out of it and if you break something, replace it with something stronger. I seriously doubt you’ll need anything stronger, especially if you’re just getting into it. By the time you’re snapping axles off-roading, you’ll find you’re probably better off with a purpose-built rig.

I wouldn’t spend ~$10k to get Rubi axles. As others mentioned, if you’re going to sink several thousands of dollars in labor, might as well get axles that are stronger than the Rubicon takeoffs.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Thanks man. As far as going big, i plan on throwing 35s with rubi wheels, a 1 1/2 wheele spacer, mopar lift and call it a day. At this point, i will probably go on light to moderate off-roading maybe 3 times a months. I just want my axles to be able to back my tire-wheel setup.

Sounds to me like you have a great plan for you.
Shouldn’t need Rubicon axles to accomplish what you seek, I’m thinking.
Carry on!

Might consider 1.75” (Spidertrax) spacers instead of 1.5” though. Unless you want to cut off your studs.

Last edited:

Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation

Perhaps you can get your hands on a set of European Rubicon axles. The fronts are also D44's, but they added CV joints to allow for full time 4x4.
The CVs are larger than what you have on the Sahara.
Personally, with what you describe your use-case to be, there isn't really a need for D44s. As long as you don't do anything too hardcore, you should be fine.
You may want to think of replacing your front axles shafts and CV joints with stronger aftermarket ones. That should give you a little more overhead when running 35's. The spine count will be the same, but the thickness should be ok.
On the other hand... those CV joints also operate as a fuse for your drive line. They are reasonably cheep and easy to replace.

Boothorp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I’ve wheeled my Sahara pretty damn hard with stock axles and 35s. I’ve been to Moab, and a handful of Midwest off road parks. I’m also heading to Rausch Creek in a few weeks. I agree with one of the above posts. Just wheel it. You don’t need to upgrade for light to moderate. If something breaks, then upgrade.

OP
OP

Moerocco

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Looking into dynatrac but ill wait a little cus i only saw them having front axels
Perhaps you can get your hands on a set of European Rubicon axles. The fronts are also D44's, but they added CV joints to allow for full time 4x4.
The CVs are larger than what you have on the Sahara.
Personally, with what you describe your use-case to be, there isn't really a need for D44s. As long as you don't do anything too hardcore, you should be fine.
You may want to think of replacing your front axles shafts and CV joints with stronger aftermarket ones. That should give you a little more overhead when running 35's. The spine count will be the same, but the thickness should be ok.
On the other hand... those CV joints also operate as a fuse for your drive line. They are reasonably cheep and easy to replace.
Can you point me towards some good aftermarket shafts and cv joints. It would be much appreciated.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Looking into dynatrac but ill wait a little cus i only saw them having front axels

Can you point me towards some good aftermarket shafts and cv joints. It would be much appreciated.
I guess rcvperformance.com is the main one. They run about 1300 bucks. It would be worth talking to them first though to see ensure you don't get something you don't want and that will work for you.

Dynatrac axles are for sure the way to go if money is no object. They are extremely expensive. Up to 20k for a set. Way overkill for your application though.
They also sell axles shaft upgrades, though I don't know if they have anything for the JL yet.