Sponsored

Are rubicon axels interchangeable with sahara axels?

OP
OP

Moerocco

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Sounds to me like you have a great plan for you.
Shouldn’t need Rubicon axles to accomplish what you seek, I’m thinking.
Carry on!

Might consider 1.75” (Spidertrax) spacers instead of 1.5” though. Unless you want to cut off your studs.
Thanks for the “great plan” feedback.
Btw the rubicon wheels have pockets in between the stud holes so i wont be cutting any studs. Also, i just want my tires to slightly stick out of the fenders i dont want the look to be very aggressive.
Sponsored

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m a new jeep owner and at first i didn’t care much for off road capabilities because I’m 95% pavement driver. However, lately i’ve been more interested in modifying my sahara and i was disappointed when i found out that i didnt get the $600 option that would’ve gave me that dana 44s in the back.

I believe my question is obvious, are Rubicon axles interchangeable with the ones the sahara has? And if not, can you guys give me suggestions about how can i make my sahara jl more capable as close as a rubicon.
I've done a lot of upgrading my 2018 Sahara and love every minute of it. I did replace my front axle with a Dana Ultimate 44 but I still run the stock D35 rear axle. Both have been regeared to 4.88 since I have 37" tires. So far after 15,000 miles and some wheelin adventures everything is great.

If your not going to push it you should be fine. The reason I replaced the front axle is it takes the most pounding when off road and I did not think the D30 would last. I know some people whom pushed their rigs pretty hard with a D30 Front and D35 Rear and and never had issues, thou they did replace their front axles to RCV chrome molly ones. I guess it all depends on how hard you want to push yours.

I'd like to put a D60 rear axle in mine but then I would have to replace the rear wheels to either a 6 or 8 bolt pattern and no longer be able to rotate my tires so I'm holding off for now.

54517899_2188173001497295_8012685953715929088_n.jpg

OP
OP

Moerocco

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Youre going all out on that sahara it must have been the tough beautiful leather dash, its mismerizing when that darkness comes out with the top off. Anyways enough drooling about the dash.
Im trying to go for 35s + lift without losing any power. As far as pushing it, i wont push it as often as most off road freaks i just want to pish it hard the fee times i go off roading and not be disapointed.

Do you on your setup miss lockers if you dont have them already and what else did you upgrade on it.

I've done a lot of upgrading my 2018 Sahara and love every minute of it. I did replace my front axle with a Dana Ultimate 44 but I still run the stock D35 rear axle. Both have been regeared to 4.88 since I have 37" tires. So far after 15,000 miles and some wheelin adventures everything is great.

If your not going to push it you should be fine. The reason I replaced the front axle is it takes the most pounding when off road and I did not think the D30 would last. I know some people whom pushed their rigs pretty hard with a D30 Front and D35 Rear and and never had issues, thou they did replace their front axles to RCV chrome molly ones. I guess it all depends on how hard you want to push yours.

I'd like to put a D60 rear axle in mine but then I would have to replace the rear wheels to either a 6 or 8 bolt pattern and no longer be able to rotate my tires so I'm holding off for now.

54517899_2188173001497295_8012685953715929088_n.jpg

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Youre going all out on that sahara it must have been the tough beautiful leather dash, its mismerizing when that darkness comes out with the top off. Anyways enough drooling about the dash.
Im trying to go for 35s + lift without losing any power. As far as pushing it, i wont push it as often as most off road freaks i just want to pish it hard the fee times i go off roading and not be disapointed.

Do you on your setup miss lockers if you dont have them already and what else did you upgrade on it.
My Dana Ultimate 44 Front Axle has E-Lockers, the stock M200 does not have lockers. When I replace the rear axle I'm adding E-Lockers to it. I ran 35's with a 2.5" Sky Jacker lift and did not have any problems with power. I did add a 'iDrive' that made the throttle response quicker. Once I went to 37" and the 3.5" Rock Krawler lift I regeared to 4.88's.

OP
OP

Moerocco

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
My Dana Ultimate 44 Front Axle has E-Lockers, the stock M200 does not have lockers. When I replace the rear axle I'm adding E-Lockers to it. I ran 35's with a 2.5" Sky Jacker lift and did not have any problems with power. I did add a 'iDrive' that made the throttle response quicker. Once I went to 37" and the 3.5" Rock Krawler lift I regeared to 4.88's.
Can you provide me a website for the actual axle that you bought for the front.

Sponsored

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
I can vouch for @harleypap57 that rig can wheel! I was one of the ones he referred to about wheeling on the Dana 30 and I did it with 37s lol
I have since upgraded my sport by buying a set of rubicon axles and building them up with trusses, rcv, and 5.13 gears.
For your application I would think a set of rcvs would be fine with 35s also because it retains the CV joint design which is included on the Sahara's because of the 4auto capability.
If you want to go further a set of Rubi axles with brakes can be found in the 3k range and would include the 4.10 and lockers. If you have an auto trans that would be a great setup for light to moderate wheeling. I went with 5.13 mainly because mine is a 6 speed.

FB_IMG_1553011789040.jpg

IMG_20190607_163822232.jpg

IMG_20190607_173551059.jpg

IMG_20190607_173532696.jpg

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I can vouch for @harleypap57 that rig can wheel! I was one of the ones he referred to about wheeling on the Dana 30 and I did it with 37s lol
I have since upgraded my sport by buying a set of rubicon axles and building them up with trusses, rcv, and 5.13 gears.
For your application I would think a set of rcvs would be fine with 35s also because it retains the CV joint design which is included on the Sahara's because of the 4auto capability.
If you want to go further a set of Rubi axles with brakes can be found in the 3k range and would include the 4.10 and lockers. If you have an auto trans that would be a great setup for light to moderate wheeling. I went with 5.13 mainly because mine is a 6 speed.

FB_IMG_1553011789040.jpg

IMG_20190607_163822232.jpg

IMG_20190607_173551059.jpg

IMG_20190607_173532696.jpg
Guess it's time to go with a Rubicon 44 rear axle. Still no issues with my stock M200 but I would love to have lockers in the rear to go with the front. Your rig looks pretty dang great since the last time I saw it.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Save your $$
Put on 285/70/17 tires, no need for a lift, your sahara axles can handle the 285s fine.
Aluminum bumpers and a winch, I say aluminum because you won't be spending money on a lift, so may as well get aluminum for the weight.
Instead of Rubi wheels, get a better wheel with +18ish offset or less if you like more poke, and forget the spacer idea.

Light to Moderate off roading needs nothing more than that. 4wd Hi and 4lo with the traction control and hill assist can do light to moderate with ease

Now, in a few years, when you are an experienced off roader and you want to do things like MOAB, or serious off roading, trade it for a Rubicon.

Just my .02

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
So I’m a new jeep owner and at first i didn’t care much for off road capabilities because I’m 95% pavement driver. However, lately i’ve been more interested in modifying my sahara and i was disappointed when i found out that i didnt get the $600 option that would’ve gave me that dana 44s in the back.

I believe my question is obvious, are Rubicon axles interchangeable with the ones the sahara has? And if not, can you guys give me suggestions about how can i make my sahara jl more capable as close as a rubicon.
The folks who say it might be easiest and most cost effective to just trade it in for a Rubicon probably have a prety good point - there are a lot of small but important differences that make a Rubicon a Rubicon - lots of small but meaningful upgrades in capability and durability. That said, in this post here I make the argument that by simply adding a locker (elocker or air locker) to your FRONT differential on a Sahara, you could have a solution that approached the best of both worlds (cheap but capable). Definitely not as rugged/durable, not quite as capable, but pretty darn good. Front locker plus rear limited slip is one hell of a lot of traction for all but the most extreme situations. I personally am damn glad I went Rubicon for the way I wheel, but just sayin'.

Sponsored

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Looking into dynatrac but ill wait till in certain these stock axels cant handle the 35s
Rule of thumb is; drive it till you break something. Then replace what broke and anything else while you are there with the beefier stuff. Squirrel away some loot every pay check. You will be fine. Now go have some fun.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
With all of that being said. The original question hasn’t been answered. Lets go down this rabbit hole. What are those differences. What should he be looking for. Lets say he finds both front and rear axels complete all the way out to the disc brakes and suspension for $4K. From my limited knowledge (not a mechanic by any stretch of reality) it is pretty much a swap. Pictures, unbolt, unconnected, make notes. Slide out, slide in, bolt up, connect, done. I think you will need the electric disconnect harness though. As previously stated, not a mechanic, am I missing anything. Beside a turn by turn? I actually am curious. I have considered this very thing. Plus I’m bored on deployment and need information to make the best decision. To much time on my hands really. Educate me with knowledge.

2018 JLU Sahara

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
@Northridge4x4 sells them with free shipping.

Just make sure you order the JL version because harley linked you the JK version.
Found it, thank you!! Does anyone know if it’s possible to wire up the electronic locker to one of the accessory switches that came on my Moab? That would be sweet if I can just buy the locker harness and direct wire it.
Sponsored