Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

The only time i manually shift my jeeps trans is when im using downhill control over sketchy terrain.

Had an explorer sport. That suv hauled ass (for a stock suv) and had paddle shifters. Used them maybe twice. They werent that great. They usually arent in an auto trans vehicle. More of a gimmick.

Ive driven the gti with dsg. Its great. But a completely different animal.

Last thing wrangler needs is a dsg lol. Cost and long term reliability wise.
Sponsored

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Well thatā€™s it. Weā€™ve hit rock bottom on new topics.
Letā€™s not get the cart before the horse buddy, I think this may just be the beginning of a long downward spiral. Someone will be asking if we could get IFS because Jeeps are ā€œtoo bumpyā€. Or they should remove 4 WD because the wheels chirp when attempting a turn on dry pavement.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the internet.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Meh.. Our Honda Odyssey actually has a 10 speed auto and paddle shifters. Itā€™s a complete waste, Iā€™ve used it like twice in 2+ years and my wife has never used it.

I have a dedicated sports car with a proper 6 speed manual and get my fix when I want to go fast and feel more engaged with the vehicle.

I really canā€™t imagine using this in my Jeep.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Letā€™s not get the cart before the horse buddy, I think this may just be the beginning of a long downward spiral. Someone will be asking if we could get IFS because Jeeps are ā€œtoo bumpyā€. Or they should remove 4 WD because the wheels chirp when attempting a turn on dry pavement.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the internet.
2WD & IFS like a trophy truck? That could actually be pretty cool.

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Saturday we took the Jeep on a moderately hard ride. Not much over 6 mph. I played with all the various knobs, buttons and shifters to show my wife how the stuff works. I put the automatic transmission in the select a gear option on the way down the mountain. It worked as advertised. Hill descent was disappointing. I set it to 4.3 mph. When we had a 14 degree down angle and a 19 degree roll the Jeep crept along at 2 mph sometimes it would indicate 1 mph. I guess the computer recognizes all aspects of the Jeeps environment. A little to self aware for me. Turned off hill descent and just drove the Jeep. Way more fun when I was doing the thinking.
I did manage to get stuck in the river. We stopped to let Ted our Golden Retriever splash around a bit. I put the Jeep in 2WD and there I sat. A little rocking and a healthy tromp on the gas peddle out we came. It was a fun day.

1D2169DD-24C4-40BA-BE15-68F8055F2D34.jpeg

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Saturday we took the Jeep on a moderately hard ride. Not much over 6 mph. I played with all the various knobs, buttons and shifters to show my wife how the stuff works. I put the automatic transmission in the select a gear option on the way down the mountain. It worked as advertised. Hill descent was disappointing. I set it to 4.3 mph. When we had a 14 degree down angle and a 19 degree roll the Jeep crept along at 2 mph sometimes it would indicate 1 mph. I guess the computer recognizes all aspects of the Jeeps environment. A little to self aware for me. Turned off hill descent and just drove the Jeep. Way more fun when I was doing the thinking.
I did manage to get stuck in the river. We stopped to let Ted our Golden Retriever splash around a bit. I put the Jeep in 2WD and there I sat. A little rocking and a healthy tromp on the gas peddle out we came. It was a fun day.

1D2169DD-24C4-40BA-BE15-68F8055F2D34.jpeg
Nice looking pup!

Sponsored

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
I had a 2011 BMW X3 with the so called M Package that included paddle shifters. I used them 3 or 4 times in 6 years of ownership. My 2018 JLUR is much less sporty or performance oriented than the BMW. Bottom line for me, they wouldnā€™t get used.

N5lp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and 2019 2 door Wrangler Rubicon
I have a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with paddle shifters. I tried using them for quite a while and no longer do that. The shifter paddles move with the steering wheel. I found it difficult to figure out where the appropriate paddle was as I steered.

Now I only use the center console stick for controlling the gear selection in that vehicle as well as in my Wrangler. I drive off pavement a lot and use manual great selection a lot. For me, the center console stick is far superior. I always know where to find it.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I owned a VW GTI with the electronic two clutch 7 gear transmission. It had paddle shifters expertly placed on the steering wheel so that you could shift through the gears even while turning.

My Jeep doesn't have paddle shifters.

Why am I bringing this up as a topic? Statistically, our Jeeps are pounding way more pavement then they are rocks, sand or or none paved mediums. During our times on the pavement we are much safer when we are driving with both hands firmly affixed to the wheel (sorry for you 6 shifter thingy fans!). If we don't have to reach WAY down to grab that over sized knob, pull it to the left, and then fumble with remembering is it up for lower or down for less(?), and make our gear selection and then move our hand back onto the steering wheel, we are much safer. I think we are beyond the days of thinking paddle shifting is only for high end performance cars or the F1 circuit.

My GTI would "burp" when I pressed the shifter going into the next gear. You knew right where you were in your power band based on the sound of the engine and the response of the vehicle.

I would like that in my next Jeep if I don't drive this one for a quarter of a million miles like I did my last truck.
giphy.gif