Are paddle shifters too much to ask?

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
I owned a VW GTI with the electronic two clutch 7 gear transmission. It had paddle shifters expertly placed on the steering wheel so that you could shift through the gears even while turning.

My Jeep doesn't have paddle shifters.

Why am I bringing this up as a topic? Statistically, our Jeeps are pounding way more pavement then they are rocks, sand or or none paved mediums. During our times on the pavement we are much safer when we are driving with both hands firmly affixed to the wheel (sorry for you 6 shifter thingy fans!). If we don't have to reach WAY down to grab that over sized knob, pull it to the left, and then fumble with remembering is it up for lower or down for less(?), and make our gear selection and then move our hand back onto the steering wheel, we are much safer. I think we are beyond the days of thinking paddle shifting is only for high end performance cars or the F1 circuit.

My GTI would "burp" when I pressed the shifter going into the next gear. You knew right where you were in your power band based on the sound of the engine and the response of the vehicle.

I would like that in my next Jeep if I don't drive this one for a quarter of a million miles like I did my last truck.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

its just a paddle shifting is not any safer than a full auto nor manual trans when you have teenagers and adults that think they can text and drive safely. Plus jeeps are not really meant to be driving 100 mph where you need to have both hands on the wheel at every second they are not sports cars by any means.. but as you can see. manual transmission is the only way to get a jeep in my book. more control and less electronics the better!

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
I have no need to manually shift my auto and definitely don't need paddle shifters.
With the RS5, I had 450hp at my beck and call with an 8500 RPM redline. I drove it like i stole it most of the time (hence my current ownership of a Jeep at the behest of NC state troopers....) and always drove in sport manual to fully utilize the power band. The 7-speed DSG was a thing of beauty and a joy to shift.
With the Jeep, there's no point. It gets me where I want to go in a leisurely and enjoyable fashion. Top down and Zeppelin cranked, I'm not getting any audible feedback from the 3.6 anyway, so there's that.
And that "burp" you referenced was the momentary fuel cut when upshifting, but it was nothing compared to the glorious rev matching when downshifting aggressively. Now - back to work.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
It ain't the stick that's preventing drivers from keeping both hands on the wheel. It's the lattes & mobile devices. A stick is no less safer than an automatic.

And anyone who can't remember which way to shift and when should settle on an Uber.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
It ain't the stick that's preventing drivers from keeping both hands on the wheel. It's the lattes & mobile devices. A stick is no less safer than an automatic.

And anyone who can't remember which way to shift and when should settle on an Uber.
:rock:

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I owned a VW GTI with the electronic two clutch 7 gear transmission. It had paddle shifters expertly placed on the steering wheel so that you could shift through the gears even while turning.

Why am I bringing this up as a topic? Statistically, our Jeeps are pounding way more pavement then they are rocks, sand or or none paved mediums. During our times on the pavement we are much safer when we are driving with both hands firmly affixed to the wheel (sorry for you 6 shifter thingy fans!). If we don't have to reach WAY down to grab that over sized knob, pull it to the left, and then fumble with remembering is it up for lower or down for less(?), and make our gear selection and then move our hand back onto the steering wheel, we are much safer. I think we are beyond the days of thinking paddle shifting is only for high end performance cars or the F1 circuit.

My GTI would "burp" when I pressed the shifter going into the next gear. You knew right where you were in your power band based on the sound of the engine and the response of the vehicle.

I would like that in my next Jeep if I don't drive this one for a quarter of a million miles like I did my last truck.
Your GTI farting when shifting is because it had a performace DSG transmission. Jeep doesn't have anything close to that, maybe in the SRT / Trackhawk I don't know. I think you're in the wrong vehicle.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I for one would be quite happy with paddles on the steering wheel for off-road use. When in 4L, I keep the transmission in manual mode so I can keep better control of what gear it's in. On-road, I let the automatic do its thing.

Is it a deal breaker for me? Nope. I am happy with what I have, but I would pay for the option of paddle shifters if it were available.

flyingmonkey

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (SOLD), RAM 1500 LARAMIE
I have no need to manually shift my auto and definitely don't need paddle shifters.
With the RS5, I had 450hp at my beck and call with an 8500 RPM redline. I drove it like i stole it most of the time (hence my current ownership of a Jeep at the behest of NC state troopers....) and always drove in sport manual to fully utilize the power band. The 7-speed DSG was a thing of beauty and a joy to shift.
With the Jeep, there's no point. It gets me where I want to go in a leisurely and enjoyable fashion. Top down and Zeppelin cranked, I'm not getting any audible feedback from the 3.6 anyway, so there's that.
And that "burp" you referenced was the momentary fuel cut when upshifting, but it was nothing compared to the glorious rev matching when downshifting aggressively. Now - back to work.
Key word: Zeppelin.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re going to make a comparison between Jeeps and other vehicles, at least make it a cool vehicle not some lame-ass VW.

I can’t think of anything less Jeepy than paddle shifters.

ClaytonW

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Lexus LX570
I have paddle shifters on my LX 570. Not bad but I could easily live without it. Sometimes, you need manual shifting while offroading, sometimes on steep slopes, especially in winter. Although I do not miss paddle shifters on my JLUR, I hate that the shifting is reversed compared to most other cars (+ gear back, -gear towards front). I'd be happy if this could be changed, maybe it's just switching two wires but never heard about anyone who did it.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse

7C80D7ED-23CE-4495-AB34-28D716AAC95D.gif

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
The 3.6 and 8-speed does a pretty nice fuel cut burp/fart when I'm manually shifting. Not as much as my DSG Audi S5 but it's an awesome sounding engine/trans combo nonetheless, especially with doors and roof off. I like the sound and response of my JL as much as my Audi so much so that I don't miss the Audi one bit now that it's gone.

As for the paddles, I feel you. I like to control what gear I'm in most of the time both on and off trail as I'm used to either driving stick or DSG cars in my past where I'd never let it decide. I'd even take a software tweak that lets us reverse the shifter's up/down direction. I miss the paddles for easy access to gear changes, but it's not the end of the world considering it's an off road machine.
Sponsored