Sponsored

Are paddle shifters too much to ask?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Uconnect screens don't show gear now
I was wrong... Uconnect's SRT performance pages can show the gear.

Jeep Wrangler JL Are paddle shifters too much to ask? aventura-performance-pages-g-force-500x371

Side note: It would be cool to see the current gear ratio in real-time. Totally not useful, but interesting.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I was wrong... Uconnect performance pages can show the gear.

Jeep Wrangler JL Are paddle shifters too much to ask? aventura-performance-pages-g-force-500x371

Side note: It would be cool to see the current gear ratio in real-time. Totally not useful, but interesting.
@AnnDee4444 - how do you access those pages?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
No, I'm not.

U mad bro?

If the existing steering wheel controls are over CANbus, there would literally be zero additional wires & no updated wiring harness. The PCM, gauge cluster, and whatever other computer systems already know how to deal with an up/down shift command sent from... the regular shifter. Uconnect screens don't show gear now, so I'm not sure why they would need to be updated at all. For an OEM, this change is probably about as easy as changing the seatbelt color.
Not mad, just think it's stupid to want paddle shifters in this sort of vehicle.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
lol @ flappy paddles in a Wrangler. I have them in my other car but they are only really used on a track day. Won't be doing any track days in my Wrangler.

Jeep Wrangler JL Are paddle shifters too much to ask? 4U8A0596.JPG

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I owned a VW GTI with the electronic two clutch 7 gear transmission. It had paddle shifters expertly placed on the steering wheel so that you could shift through the gears even while turning.

My Jeep doesn't have paddle shifters.

Why am I bringing this up as a topic? Statistically, our Jeeps are pounding way more pavement then they are rocks, sand or or none paved mediums. During our times on the pavement we are much safer when we are driving with both hands firmly affixed to the wheel (sorry for you 6 shifter thingy fans!). If we don't have to reach WAY down to grab that over sized knob, pull it to the left, and then fumble with remembering is it up for lower or down for less(?), and make our gear selection and then move our hand back onto the steering wheel, we are much safer. I think we are beyond the days of thinking paddle shifting is only for high end performance cars or the F1 circuit.

My GTI would "burp" when I pressed the shifter going into the next gear. You knew right where you were in your power band based on the sound of the engine and the response of the vehicle.

I would like that in my next Jeep if I don't drive this one for a quarter of a million miles like I did my last truck.
Even though "statistically" there are more mall crawlers than rock crawlers that doesn't change the fact that the Jeep is designed and built for off roading. The reality is the Jeep isn't a performance car like your GTI (and I am using the term performance loosely regarding a VW) so one wouldn't expect to see paddle shifters on it.
You must have like T-Rex length arms if you consider the shifter knob to be "WAY" down there... lol.
It's a Jeep, adjust your expectations to what a Jeep is and I think you'll be OK. If you want it to be like a Ferrari then it may not be the vehicle for you.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you really want to shift, get a manual transmission.

I learned that automatic transmissions are not the best if you really want to have that level of control. The “sequential” aspect of the automatic makes manual shifting pointless to a great extent.

Automatic transmissions have come a long way from the slush boxes that we used to get. New automatics, this 8-speed included, are quick, smart and trouble free.

Manual transmissions still have a time and place. But IMO the trail is not one of them.

I have a 6-speed manual on my Fiat Spider; I wouldn’t have that car any other way.

Luckily, for those who want to shift gears, you can still get a Wrangler with a manual transmission,

bboyk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR,16 Siverado; 61 & 02 Vettes, 67 Camaro
Occupation
Finally retired! Futures industry executive
You knew the shifter was floor mounted when you bought it. It's part of the experience and separates you from 98% of the population who won't/can't drive a floor stick. I wanted the floor mount as I have always enjoyed the foot/hand coordination and the feeling of greater control of the vehicle's performance.

If everyone was required to drive stick, there wouldn't be texting accidents.

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
No on can see how cool I look rowing through gears if it's just dinky little paddles on the wheel :idea:

Manual ftw! Wouldn't trade mine for anything.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
JP021_437WRtm31qlfkafojreefumshhv5b57.jpg

Geared for Performance
A high-torque capacity TorqueFlite 8HP75 eight-speed automatic transmission delivers quick, crisp gear changes during both normal and performance driving conditions. This transmission also enables the driver to change gears via the new steering wheel-mounted aluminum paddle shifters, a first for the Jeep Wrangler, or the Electronic Range Select shifter.

The leather-appointed interior includes unique bronze stitching. The leather seats with Rubicon 392 nomenclature keep drivers comfortable with performance-inspired, integrated upper bolsters to hold occupants in place. To accommodate new engine specs, the gauge cluster receives all-new numbering and design. Available on the Jeep Wrangler for the first time, the leather-wrapped, performance steering wheel features wheel-mounted paddle shifters for fast access to the eight-speed transmission and management of 470 lb.-ft. of torque.

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I had three GTIs, one with the DSG.

My take on it: if i'm off-roading, I want my steering wheel to be as free as possible of random buttons to hit.

I think i'd curse those paddle shifters after 6 months.
Sponsored