Are ordered Jeeps sitting outside?

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Just curious if anyone knows for sure are Jeeps sitting outside somewhere like the Broncos are? All vehicle manufacturers are getting slammed because of the semiconductor shortage and a lot of vehicles get built but have to sit there unfinished until the micro chip shows up. And it's not getting any better!! An article I read says multiple manufacturers have thousands of vehicles just sitting around.

Makes me wonder if it's just better to wait to order a new vehicle until all of this gets fixed or at least better? I don't think any of us want our new Jeep sitting outside in the weather for 10 weeks+ waiting for a micro chip from Japan.
Sponsored

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
Just curious if anyone knows for sure are Jeeps sitting outside somewhere like the Broncos are? All vehicle manufacturers are getting slammed because of the semiconductor shortage and a lot of vehicles get built but have to sit there unfinished until the micro chip shows up. And it's not getting any better!! An article I read says multiple manufacturers have thousands of vehicles just sitting around.

Makes me wonder if it's just better to wait to order a new vehicle until all of this gets fixed or at least better? I don't think any of us want our new Jeep sitting outside in the weather for 10 weeks+ waiting for a micro chip from Japan.
so no but It's not like they need just a microchip to assemble your jeep.

At no point in time during the install is there a "Insert micro chips" step.

These 'chips' are sub components of components that go into some other component for your jeep. I very much doubt they build a jeep and leave it sitting somewhere because they do not have all the parts. They schedule their builds for efficiency.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
As my dealer explained the process, the vehicle is only scheduled for factory assembly when it can proceed from start to finish without unintended interruption. All components must be on hand before production can proceed. There are exceptions and kinks, of course, but express efforts are made to avoid them.

There's a photo floating around in the forum, of the well-populated vehicle storage yard at the Toledo facility. They are completed vehicles waiting for transport, meaning it represents logistics, not parts delays.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
and . . . . they're coming from China. They just closed the 3rd largest port for Covid.

G.
Yep. Not good. If they're not sitting now they will be. Or not made at all until parts come in.

Figures this sh$t happens when I need a new vehicle.

OP
OP
JeepViking13

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
As my dealer explained the process, the vehicle is only scheduled for factory assembly when it can proceed from start to finish without unintended interruption. All components must be on hand before production can proceed. There are exceptions and kinks, of course, but express efforts are made to avoid them.

There's a photo floating around in the forum, of the well-populated vehicle storage yard at the Toledo facility. They are completed vehicles waiting for transport, meaning it represents logistics, not parts delays.
I don't listen to dealers much since they are privately owned and don't really know what's going on behind the curtain. That's the unfortunate reality. Dealerships are car salesman they tell you what you want to hear.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

These 'chips' are sub components of components that go into some other component for your jeep. I very much doubt they build a jeep and leave it sitting somewhere because they do not have all the parts. They schedule their builds for efficiency.
Yes, it actually happens.

Gladiator production was stopped.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...ge-hits-jeep-gladiator-production/5422071001/

Ford Broncos are sitting by the thousands:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/08/11/ford-broncos-thousands-parked-at-michigan-assembly-plant/

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
so no but It's not like they need just a microchip to assemble your jeep.

At no point in time during the install is there a "Insert micro chips" step.

This has definitely happened many times. In 2018 for example they identified a production defect (can't remember which one) and they had thousands of Wranglers sitting on lots all over Toledo until they could get to them and get them fixed.

The good news is cars are generally designed to withstand being outside.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
The factory is capable of pumping out about 600 or so Wranglers per day and it is in their best interest to do so. Even with no COVID no fires no shortages and zero problems I would expected to see hundreds if not thousands of Wranglers on a lot while they wait to be loaded onto trains and trucks.

Sponsored

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The Broncos are sitting moutside because Fords top supplier can’t make a good top.
The point is, these types of things happen. Production of the Gladiator was stopped due to the chip shortage. GM also stopped production of the Camaro due to the chip shortage. Built Camaros were sitting in lots just waiting for chip components. Most vehicle vehicle manufacturers buy/order supplies as needed to keep production rolling, as opposed to buying for long term stock, and this chip shortage eventually bit them all in the ass.

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
The point is, these types of things happen. Production of the Gladiator was stopped due to the chip shortage. Vehicles are built and then can sit unfinished for numerous reasons.
I know, I always think it’s silly when people are concerned about them sitting outside. Pre-covid some vehicles would sit on the dealers lots for 6+ months.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

I bought my JL 3.5 years ago and it sits outside everyday.

MudHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon (Bright White)
I know, I always think it’s silly when people are concerned about them sitting outside. Pre-covid some vehicles would sit on the dealers lots for 6+ months.

Especially a Jeep Wrangler, of all things. I could see someone buying a Ferrari or some other high-end garage queen sportscar being upset about the vehicle sitting out, but a Wrangler? It's not like they're sitting out there topless with the insides exposed to the elements.

Here's a quick look at the Fords sitting at the Kentucky Speedway from the viral video back in May.
Sponsored