Sponsored

Are off-road LED lights allowed on the roads? Do I need a cover?

For100

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sienna 2015
Hey all,

I am fairly new to the off-road world, totally a newbie. We just got our JLU few weeks ago and started to make some External modifications to go camping. My wife liked some ZRoadZ LED lighting (A-Pillar Bolt-on 3" 2x20W Cube Flood Beam), but before I buy I want to make sure we don't get in trouble down the road. These don't have covers according to ZROADZ info and I have read that some states require you cover off-road lights if not in use. No having covers is going to be an issue? does the same logic applies to LED bars? like ZROADZ® - Rear Window Bolt-on 30" 150W Slim Combo Beam LED.

Appreciate the help

FOR100
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Unless they’re DOT approved, they cannot be illuminated while on the road. You would need to check your individual state’s laws because they may vary. When I had a JKU, I never had a problem leaving my 20” on the bumper and dual cowl spots uncovered. Naturally, I never used them on the road.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
+1 to @conFUcius advice above. Local and state can vary, but if your offroad lights are above your headlights then I'd suggest leaving the covers on if you have them. It's easy and will help avoid any issues.

As a recent example, a buddy of mine was pulled over for an uncovered led bar below his headlingts on the bumper. Not because it was turned on, but because it wasn't covered. No ticket, but a hassle nonetheless.

OP
OP

For100

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sienna 2015
Thank you both! These are cowl spot LED lights and DOT approved according to ZRoadZ, but they don’t have covers. I am curious as of why they don’t offer covers knowing that some state laws might require it. Anyways, i am on the fence to get these if I cannot have covers handy in case I need them.

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
Unless they’re DOT approved, they cannot be illuminated while on the road. You would need to check your individual state’s laws because they may vary. When I had a JKU, I never had a problem leaving my 20” on the bumper and dual cowl spots uncovered. Naturally, I never used them on the road.
Also keep in mind while traveling through other states you need to be aware of their laws too. While your state may not require covers another state might and can ticket you if you don't have them covered.

Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you both! These are cowl spot LED lights and DOT approved according to ZRoadZ, but they don’t have covers. I am curious as of why they don’t offer covers knowing that some state laws might require it. Anyways, i am on the fence to get these if I cannot have covers handy in case I need them.
I'd check your state laws and the types of fronts they have. It may be they are non-reflective, etc. I.e. they won't reflect back towards oncoming drivers...

Mine have transparent amber covers and I've been told that meets requirements... Now, if a cop wanted me to have a bad day, then they could ding me for that and likely 100 other things :)

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase

I'm in TX too and believe covers are not required here.

I have Baja Designs SAE-approved (road legal) fog lights on the bumper and Squadron Pros (not road legal) on the cowls. I went ahead and ordered covers for the cowl lights in case I travel to a state where they're required. They were $10 apiece and I just keep them in the glove box.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
As you are aware legality of the lights depends on what your state sees as legal.

Traveling interstate, the local laws of installation does not matter, all that matters is your vehicle fully registered in your state. Personal experience I live in MA driving in NH in my old lifted yj with tires sticking past the fenders. I was legal in MA but too tall and tire coverage not legal in NH. A town cop pulled me over, he spotted my MA plates didn't even bother to get out of the car and just peeled out of the breakdown lane. So if covers are not needed in your state you do not need them when in other states.

Use of the lights on road is a different story you are subject to local laws, because you are creating a unsafe driving conditions for others.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
  • Haha
Reactions: GtX

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
As you are aware legality of the lights depends on what your state sees as legal.

Traveling interstate, the local laws of installation does not matter, all that matters is your vehicle fully registered in your state. Personal experience I live in MA driving in NH in my old lifted yj with tires sticking past the fenders. I was legal in MA but too tall and tire coverage not legal in NH. A town cop pulled me over, he spotted my MA plates didn't even bother to get out of the car and just peeled out of the breakdown lane. So if covers are not needed in your state you do not need them when in other states.

Use of the lights on road is a different story you are subject to local laws, because you are creating a unsafe driving conditions for others.
I'm thinking the Cop got a more pressing call than you, and took off to deal with it.
Your last sentence, " creating a unsafe driving conditions for others " also applies to tires outside fenders, that can fling stones, break windshields, etc. That's unsafe for others too

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Some states also have laws limiting the actual number of forward-facing lights on passenger vehicles.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
This is why I removed my cowl lights and installed a pair of driving lights on my bumper.
Better illumination under severe weather and less glare and reflection off of particles and your hood. And best of all, it’s legal! Since it’s below the headlights.

Overall much better driving experience, less vision obstruction, less wind noise, I get to keep my night vision when wheeling at night and not be blinded by the bright spots reflecting off my hood etc. Generally, I find hood-mounted and roof mounted light-bars to be useless and serves as a decoration piece, more or less..

Before:
Jeep Wrangler JL Are off-road LED lights allowed on the roads?  Do I need a cover? WeChat Image_20210420103530

After:
Jeep Wrangler JL Are off-road LED lights allowed on the roads?  Do I need a cover? WeChat Image_20210420103514

Last edited:

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
This is why I removed my cowl lights and installed a pair of driving lights on my bumper.
Better illumination under severe weather and less glare and reflection off of particles and your hood. And best of all, it’s legal! Since it’s below the headlights.

Overall much better driving experience, less vision obstruction, less wind noise, I get to keep my night vision when wheeling at night and not be blinded by the bright spots reflecting off my hood etc. Generally, I find hood-mounted and roof mounted light-bars to be useless and serves as a decoration piece, more or less..

Before:
Jeep Wrangler JL Are off-road LED lights allowed on the roads?  Do I need a cover? WeChat Image_20210420103514

After:
specs on the piaa lights and any night pics please. they might be the same one i was looking at. i wish piaa had the amber color vs the yellow for bad weather driving.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@For100 i have the 3" cube light from rough country mounted on the a pillar. they came with covers. i never used them and never was bothered by the cops. i'm in ny. i've traveled. up and down on the east coast with no problems.
Sponsored