Are OEM Mopar LED Tail light plug & play? Quick Question before purchase

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I have the JLU sport non led and am about to purchase a set of the Mopar led tailights for 220. Are they plug and play?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know, but I doubt it. Nothing on these Jeep is plug-and-play any more.

I bought a pair of Mopar LED headlamps that were supposed to be plug-and-play. Turns out the headlights were, but not the halos. The halos require a separate wiring harness to be laid along the passenger-side fender, under the auxiliary battery, through the firewall to the kicker panel. And it took a special flash to activate them.

Most LED tail lights come with the blind spot monitor (BSM) sensors built into the housing. The Safety Package, which includes the BSM, holds the sensors inside the black panel on the side of the LED tail light housing.

Chances are the wiring harness is going to be different. I would not even know what to do with those wires.

Jeep Wrangler JL Are OEM Mopar LED Tail light plug & play? Quick Question before purchase 1608248433289

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I don't know, but I doubt it. Nothing on these Jeep is plug-and-play any more.

I bought a pair of Mopar LED headlamps that were supposed to be plug-and-play. Turns out the headlights were, but not the halos. The halos require a separate wiring harness to be laid along the passenger-side fender, under the auxiliary battery, through the firewall to the kicker panel. And it took a special flash to activate them.

Most LED tail lights come with the blind spot monitor (BSM) sensors built into the housing. The Safety Package, which includes the BSM, holds the sensors inside the black panel on the side of the LED tail light housing.

Chances are the wiring harness is going to be different. I would not even know what to do with those wires.

Jeep Wrangler JL Are OEM Mopar LED Tail light plug & play? Quick Question before purchase 1608248433289
The halos on the headlamps I think can be run through the heated seat fuse spot Assuming its empty. As for the tail lights they don’t have the BSM but I guess I’ll find out when I get home if they work. Picked up for $220. They were orig purchased from quadratec 9 months ago. They guy traded in for a 80th anniversary

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
They will fit physically (including the plug) but they do not draw enough current and will eventually go out and/or cause bulb out warnings on the dash unless you use a JSCAN or tazer to reset them to LED in the computer.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I know the Z Automotive Tazer has settings in there to switch between LED and incandescent. So I would think the parameter needs to be switched

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
yes as others have said they are plug and play, i installed the motobilt tail light kit and wired up my own harness for the factory plug

you will need to either have the dealer reflash the computer or get a jscan or tazer jl (i used tazer because i already have it) and change it to an LED tail light, this will correct the bulb out message and hyper flash for the turn signal

do not get tail lights with blind spot sensors in them as they will not work so you will be paying a lot extra for nothing

pin out
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/LAMP-ASSEMBLY-TAIL-RIGHT-connector-details.pdf

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I got the tail lights last night. Paid $220 for the set. Everything works fine. Does reflashing the computer help more as a diagnostic or a future down the road functionality. I know you have to reflash the headlights. I don’t have a flash tool.

265328BE-9DEA-40B5-B752-8F77FC75E16B.jpeg

27871214-F2DD-4DF0-98CB-CD071029D351.jpeg

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it will suppress bulb out messages, the turn signal dash indicator will not blink rapidly, on mine it seem the actual bulb blink rate seemed ok before the computer flash but your millage might vary

electrically nothing changes as the led pulls less current than the incandescent bulb and both run on 12 volts, you might see about changing the fuse if you really want to but the effort will be more or less point less

Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
it will suppress bulb out messages, the turn signal dash indicator will not blink rapidly, on mine it seem the actual bulb blink rate seemed ok before the computer flash but your millage might vary

electrically nothing changes as the led pulls less current than the incandescent bulb and both run on 12 volts, you might see about changing the fuse if you really want to but the effort will be more or less point less
What’s better to get as a flash. Eventually i have a lot planned. i want to get a nice flasher.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What’s better to get as a flash. Eventually i have a lot planned. i want to get a nice flasher.
I have a razer I like it and use it for my tire adjustment, tail lights, and psc steering. Got it before many of the other options were available and can't really speak of them.

Another option for the light blinker you can put some 6 ohm 50 watt resistors in series with the led and that should solve it to

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
yes as others have said they are plug and play, i installed the motobilt tail light kit and wired up my own harness for the factory plug

you will need to either have the dealer reflash the computer or get a jscan or tazer jl (i used tazer because i already have it) and change it to an LED tail light, this will correct the bulb out message and hyper flash for the turn signal

do not get tail lights with blind spot sensors in them as they will not work so you will be paying a lot extra for nothing

pin out
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/LAMP-ASSEMBLY-TAIL-RIGHT-connector-details.pdf
Can the tazer that my friend has be used for mine to flash LED and then give back his tazer

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase