Sponsored

Are Mopar Vechicle Protection plans worth i?

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Received the "TIME IS RUNNING OUT" letter regarding our Jeep's extended warranty. Not sure it's worth the cost. They quoted me the following to extend the warranty to these years (original warranty + new):

100k / 7 years for $3785 ($0 deductible)
100k / 7 years for $3130 ($100 deductible)
60k / 5 years for $1300 ($100 deductible)
60k / 5 years for $1860 ($0 deductible)

My thoughts are that if something breaks, then I can replace said part with something better, and most likely cheaper.

Thoughts?

Blake
Sponsored

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
yes, in my opinion. I defiantly got my moneys worth. I would say it would have cost me in the 9k range for what they have replaced on my 2011 JKU.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Received the "TIME IS RUNNING OUT" letter regarding our Jeep's extended warranty. Not sure it's worth the cost. They quoted me the following to extend the warranty to these years (original warranty + new):

100k / 7 years for $3785 ($0 deductible)
100k / 7 years for $3130 ($100 deductible)
60k / 5 years for $1300 ($100 deductible)
60k / 5 years for $1860 ($0 deductible)

My thoughts are that if something breaks, then I can replace said part with something better, and most likely cheaper.

Thoughts?

Blake
You can get the exact same plans, better pricing from Clay Robbins

[email protected]

785-789-3940

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
Yes. You don't have to purchase the warranty from the dealer you bought your Jeep. I purchased a 100k/8 yr plan from Ziegler Chrysler online for about $2500 earlier this year. They tied it into my Jeep and the warranty is listed when I go onto the Mopar site.

Broccoli2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2011 JK 1946CJ2-A
Agreed with above. The prices you were quoted are pretty steep. You can also haggle those down.

Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I just did 7 years unlimited miles for just over $2,400
It was online and the dealer matched.
After my first JL and it's electrical goblins, I want about to go without on its replacement.

OP
OP

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks folks! I dropped an email to clay at robbins motors. Hopefully I can get a much lower price...

-Blake

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Don't forget to ask your Insurance company. I know Mercury underwrites Extended warranties for the Auto Companies.

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
Just got off the phone with an FCA rep. They quoted me $3600 for the 7 year unlimited mileage plan. I have the Mopar Lift Kit on my Jeep and the guy said "oh that's another $495 surcharge." WTF?? The whole reason I got that kit was because it's literally designed by mopar and should not impact any warranty. Seems like a lot of BS to me. I told the guy forget it and hung up.

jack0351

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2013 Ram 3500, 2000 HD FXST,
While I don't have my jeep yet, I got the MaxCare warranty for my Ram 3500, because with the newer "radios,"(at least the 7" and 8.4") they are tied into EVERYTHING. Having so many things tied into that "CPU" made me nervous, and I splurged. I also did not pay quite what the OP was quoted, and highly recommend other dealerships. Reidman Motors hooked me up for both my Ram, and my wife's Fiat.

I have every intention of getting the 7yr/Unlimited Mileage warranty when I get my Jeep.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Generally no they are huge money makers for dealerships and not worth it at all. That said if FCA brought back the lifetime warranty i may buy that since i plan on keeping my Jeep 10+ years.

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd
Occupation
Construction Manager
I got one the last day before they stopped selling lifetime. Now I am reading that a dealer could void it if I put 35s on my sport. That seems messed up and making me think of returning the mopar max care. Anyone else deal with this yet?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
To @BrntWS6 's point, insurance is NEVER worth it by virtue of "strict financial calculation of risk." Actuaries figure out the likelihood of incidents, and what they'll cost, and make sure that insurers charge more than adequately for policies so that they not only remain financially solvent, but profitable.

But is insurance worth it nevertheless to the individual consumer on things otherwise not legally or contractually required to be covered, like State mandated comprehensive vehicle insurance or a mortgagee's requirement that a mortgagor maintain property insurance....?

The OP's point about other companies offering more competitive rates aside, individuals need to gauge their own aversion to risk of repair expensive, the way they drive, their belief in the reliability of the brand, and their ability to tolerate possible significant repair cost outlays in their budget.

Some prefer to know that their costs will be upfront. A company may more expensively lease rather than own equipment so costs are known up front. And a very well funded person or entity that can afford the cost would be smart to self insure as insurance company profit, by its very nature, is the overcharging for risk.

This is in no way to bash the need for insurance or insurance companies right to fair profit in many situations. But no pay for warranty coverage is offered as a service, rather, a money making business.
Sponsored