Sponsored

Are JL paint issues really such a big deal?

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
My wife wanted black, the hardest to do well. Hers looks really good, I have hand washed it several times now and do not see any issues with the paint. I love the "Toyota quality" comment by the OP. I see more Toyota paint quality issues here in the high elevation sun than any other brand except maybe the 90's GM vehicles. The sun has burned the paint off of most of the Toyotas around here...

I really did not see that many paint complaints before we ordered. It didn't concern me much and ours turned out just fine. Any manufacturer can make mistakes, bad stuff slips though no matter who built it.
Black may actually be a good color for wranglers. If they programmed the paint bots to spray for too short a time (just one of the problems), black will cover better than a lighter color.

BTW, maybe you see burned paint Toyotas because they last long enough in the world to get burned.
Sponsored

jeep-v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T
Mine is blue and I do not see any issues with paint that would concern me. I wish previous owner did not polish it as it left some circular fine scratches visible at some angles (typical mess left by a clueless), so I have to address it some time in the future.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
In preparing to place an order for my first Wrangler, I discovered there are years of the posts in this forum about JL paint issues (bubbles, specks under the clear, robots missed a sport, corroding aluminum, etc). It appears that these threads are making some new Wrangler shoppers hesitant, thinking maybe more expensive items are being skimped on as well??. There are a bunch of pissed-off JL owners who think they should be!

I placed my order because I see it a little differently; All manufacturers have limited funds to spend on the production process, so Jeep has decided that for Wrangler assembly, they will allocate more precision and quality to the drivetrain and suspension components over paint finish. Its a deliberate management decision, thinking that if the paint quality got more attention, the Wrangler would cost (even) more. Besides, they figure the traditional off-road buyer doesn't care since they get pinstripes on their JLs as soon as they wheel for the first time. The Grand Cherokee has great paint which proves Jeep can do it if they really wanted, at least in competitive segments.

And then came Ford competition... Lets see how that goes as more Broncos are hurriedly shoved out the door but regardless, I expect Wrangler paint to improve from 2022 and beyond. Also the growing portion of Wrangler buyers who are road-only users, while bored of their Highlanders, will expect at least a Toyota-quality finish.
In my opinion, from experience, the bubbles in the paint cost them more, in warranty work, than if they spent the extra couple of dollars per vehicle, to properly paint under the hinges.
Also, the poor paint jobs, and bad mouthing that comes along with it, costs Jeep a lot of money too..
Some around here claim they dont care about the way their Jeeps look, because they arent "Mall Crawlers". Brave words. Well, lets put you guys to the test. Take a Ball Peen Hammer, and put a few love taps(20-30 should do) in your Non-Mall Crawlers, and let's see how you feel about that.
BTW, mine isnt a Mall Crawler, but I do like to keep it looking nice.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Black may actually be a good color for wranglers. If they programmed the paint bots to spray for too short a time (just one of the problems), black will cover better than a lighter color.

BTW, maybe you see burned paint Toyotas because they last long enough in the world to get burned.
You know, I have owned over 100 vehicles in my days and never a single Toyota. Those are cars for people who hate cars, the most boring, ugly vehicles ever made... That and I am seeing 10 yr old ones with paint issues, not just the rusted smoking relics people tell me are so great...

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
You know, I have owned over 100 vehicles in my days and never a single Toyota. Those are cars for people who hate cars, the most boring, ugly vehicles ever made... That and I am seeing 10 yr old ones with paint issues, not just the rusted smoking relics people tell me are so great...
I thumbed your post up, and I own a Tundra. Toyotas are boring, but not as boring as the Hondas that I own. I commute the boring, and play with my Jeep. I knew getting into a Jeep that there will be much more wrench time on it than my Toyota or Hondas. I get more smiles per gallon out of the Wrangler!

Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
while it probably shouldn’t happen so quick, it’s in inevitable with galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals. I found one door hinge last time I washed the Jeep and one on the magnesium tailgate.

it happens on all vehicles where different metals come together, key to most is they are hidden inside, behind or under something. It’s a price we pay for the Jeep external hinges.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
There's literally hundreds of thousands of Asian vehicles(Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, Nissan) with failing clear coat around the United States. Many of which are only around 5 years of age. Toyota has crap paint as does every other Asian manufacturer. Talk to any professional detailer with actual experience if you disagree.
Sponsored