Sponsored

Are JL paint issues really such a big deal?

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
In preparing to place an order for my first Wrangler, I discovered there are years of the posts in this forum about JL paint issues (bubbles, specks under the clear, robots missed a sport, corroding aluminum, etc). It appears that these threads are making some new Wrangler shoppers hesitant, thinking maybe more expensive items are being skimped on as well??. There are a bunch of pissed-off JL owners who think they should be!

I placed my order because I see it a little differently; All manufacturers have limited funds to spend on the production process, so Jeep has decided that for Wrangler assembly, they will allocate more precision and quality to the drivetrain and suspension components over paint finish. Its a deliberate management decision, thinking that if the paint quality got more attention, the Wrangler would cost (even) more. Besides, they figure the traditional off-road buyer doesn't care since they get pinstripes on their JLs as soon as they wheel for the first time. The Grand Cherokee has great paint which proves Jeep can do it if they really wanted, at least in competitive segments.

And then came Ford competition... Lets see how that goes as more Broncos are hurriedly shoved out the door but regardless, I expect Wrangler paint to improve from 2022 and beyond. Also the growing portion of Wrangler buyers who are road-only users, while bored of their Highlanders, will expect at least a Toyota-quality finish.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
In preparing to place an order for my first Wrangler, I discovered there are years of the posts in this forum about JL paint issues (bubbles, specks under the clear, robots missed a sport, corroding aluminum, etc). It appears that these threads are making some new Wrangler shoppers hesitant, thinking maybe more expensive items are being skimped on as well??. There are a bunch of pissed-off JL owners who think they should be!

I placed my order because I see it a little differently; All manufacturers have limited funds to spend on the production process, so Jeep has decided that for Wrangler assembly, they will allocate more precision and quality to the drivetrain and suspension components over paint finish. Its a deliberate management decision, thinking that if the paint quality got more attention, the Wrangler would cost (even) more. Besides, they figure the traditional off-road buyer doesn't care since they get pinstripes on their JLs as soon as they wheel for the first time. The Grand Cherokee has great paint which proves Jeep can do it if they really wanted, at least in competitive segments.

And then came Ford competition... Lets see how that goes as more Broncos are hurriedly shoved out the door but regardless, I expect Wrangler paint to improve from 2022 and beyond. Also the growing portion of Wrangler buyers who are road-only users, while bored of their Highlanders, will expect at least a Toyota-quality finish.
You are correct - Most of these rigs are actually used a mall crawlers…and paint is indeed very important to these owners. Stellantis has made a decision not to address because warranty costs are less than the cost to fix the process…at this point….. Stay tuned!

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
  • Banned
I may be in the minority, but if I’m paying $60k+ for a vehicle I want the paint to be right. Whether I’m gonna pinstripe it the following weekend on the trails or not.
More than half of Wrangler buyers think that, so you are not in a minority. But remember....the same paint process is used on a $30K Sport. You are actually driving a $30K vehicle, one that you added on $30K worth of extra goodies.

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
I may be in the minority, but if I’m paying $60k+ for a vehicle I want the paint to be right. Whether I’m gonna pinstripe it the following weekend on the trails or not.
Definitely not in the minority. Any new vehicle I buy, I expect the paint to be correct. Especially considering how much vehicles cost now.

Sponsored

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
More than half of Wrangler buyers think that, so you are not in a minority. But remember....the same paint process is used on a $30K Sport. You are actually driving a $30K vehicle, one that you added on $30K worth of extra goodies.
I’d want the paint to be right on a $30k vehicle just the same.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
When I first started looking I was floored that Wranglers cost 30% more than I expected. I remember standing there with my mouth hanging open when the salesman finally meandered out to greet me. As I looked at the unfinished hardtop in disbelief I pointed to the sticker and said "Really?"

As mentioned above, it is that Jeep simply doesn't care. People will buy them anyway. This is why I hope the Bronco cuts into sales and makes them reevaluate their business model and step up their game.

It's been an eye opener for me. Over the past 10 years we have purchased 3 of the same model foreign made vehicles for our daily drivers, all MSRPing at less than $27K, all with perfect paint and honestly no problems at all.

I sit here reading about missing/thin paint, debris, bubbling, etc. and it seems almost unbelievable. Its like we are buying an American made vehicle from the 80s. If you don't remember those days, you are lucky.

Did I hesitate to buy after reading all the issues, yes, did I buy anyway, yup. 🤷‍♂️

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
ford has had bubbling and flaking hood paint since the early 2000s due to corrosion of the aluminum. all manufactures have issues. we sold our 2012 explorer to get the wrangler, guess which one has better paint. that explorer was a near $50k vehicle 10 years ago, no reason to have paint issues but it did.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Paint is paint, regardless of the cost of the vehicle. It needs to be 100% right from the factory.

Sponsored

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
It's been an eye opener for me. Over the past 10 years we have purchased 3 of the same model foreign made vehicles for our daily drivers, all MSRPing at less than $27K, all with perfect paint and honestly no problems at all.
Which is why my mental math wont work out for dumping my crv for a willys 2 door.

Excellent point 👍🏼👍🏼

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Which is why my mental math wont work out for dumping my crv for a willys 2 door.

Excellent point 👍🏼👍🏼
Until you just did, have those two vehicles ever been spoken in the same sentence - ever?

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Until you just did, have those two vehicles ever been spoken in the same sentence - ever?
Your point being theyre not in the same class?? Obviously not, different purposes.

but but, looking at it from the extremes of it being a lump of metal (a willys 2 door is actually smaller than a crv), and how much youre getting for the money car wise (a crv is more urban product for the money) it doesnt make sense.

OP
OP
FloridaLarry

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Your point being theyre not in the same class?? Obviously not, different purposes.

but but, looking at it from the extremes of it being a lump of metal (a willys 2 door is actually smaller than a crv), and how much youre getting for the money car wise (a crv is more urban product for the money) it doesnt make sense.
We mostly agree. But I'm saying in a crv's habitat, the wrangler looks like it has shit quality, but in a wranglers environment, you wouldn't even encounter a crv. The JL money was focused on off-road capability.

And besides, the JL paint is still better than a Lada. :p

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
My wife wanted black, the hardest to do well. Hers looks really good, I have hand washed it several times now and do not see any issues with the paint. I love the "Toyota quality" comment by the OP. I see more Toyota paint quality issues here in the high elevation sun than any other brand except maybe the 90's GM vehicles. The sun has burned the paint off of most of the Toyotas around here...

I really did not see that many paint complaints before we ordered. It didn't concern me much and ours turned out just fine. Any manufacturer can make mistakes, bad stuff slips though no matter who built it.
Sponsored