Are Jeep Service Departments that bad?

macolle

First Name
Ang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara / Unlimited
Found a less than fun (very strong) death wobble @ 75mph while driving a newer 2019 Jeep home from a neighboring state. Couldn't drive over 60 without it happening again & again. We obviously called the dealer we purchased from and it was suggested we find a dealership that was close to our current location and try to get it in before finishing the 900 mile trip home. So we looked up the dealers we could find on the way back into our state...

1ST dealer / service team: "4 day back-up for service." Suggested we call a larger dealer in another city.

2ND "larger" dealer / service team: Put on hold for 8 min. Comes back and says they are too busy in the moment and instructed to leave a message for a service writer. We leave a detailed message about our predicament, and no call back. That was 5 days ago. Still no call to date.

3RD even "larger" dealer / service team: Same. Too busy to take a call. Left another detailed message about our predicament, and no call back. That was 4 days ago. Still no call to date.

4TH dealer / service team [in our town]: Says the issue is related the the v41 service bulletin. Offers us an appointment 1 week out. We take it as they are seeming the only FCA service team we found that was even picking up the phone.

Anyhow, we drive the remaining 800 miles under 60. Not exactly fun with trucks/cars going 70-80 all around us. So we divert to smaller alternate routes. Upside, amazing gas milage and great small town visits... On the down side, bad 1st impression from the FCA / Jeep brand. We felt this issue wasn't something that should have been dismissed so casually considering we just purchased the vehicle. FCA is aware of this issue, the Jeep was sold to us without the service being done, and depending on the situation, it felt dangerous at times. Especially on freeways with high speed limits. The fact a few Jeep team(s) didn't seem concerned enough to even pick up a phone let alone do much to help was kind load of sh8t. I can't imagine the FCA / Jeep PR team would be all that thrilled about these types of experiences playing out in market. Bad for a major brand like FCA. Or at least one would think.

Anyhow. Rant done. Appointment next week. Fingers crossed.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
We had the V41 done and luckily our local dealer Richland Auto Group, got us in & out in 30 minutes and it was installed correctly. Hopefully it will be an improvement in your case but our 2dr never had any steering issues (especially wobble) so hard to say if you'll have a cure for your problem, might also consider the longer Mopar LCAs to increase your caster if you're finding any wander off center as you drive @ highway speeds.
G'luck!

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I like the service I receive at Meador and my service advisor is very knowledgeable about Jeeps.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Found a less than fun (very strong) death wobble @ 75mph while driving a newer 2019 Jeep home from a neighboring state. Couldn't drive over 60 without it happening again & again. We obviously called the dealer we purchased from and it was suggested we find a dealership that was close to our current location and try to get it in before finishing the 900 mile trip home. So we looked up the dealers we could find on the way back into our state...

1ST dealer / service team: "4 day back-up for service." Suggested we call a larger dealer in another city.

2ND "larger" dealer / service team: Put on hold for 8 min. Comes back and says they are too busy in the moment and instructed to leave a message for a service writer. We leave a detailed message about our predicament, and no call back. That was 5 days ago. Still no call to date.

3RD even "larger" dealer / service team: Same. Too busy to take a call. Left another detailed message about our predicament, and no call back. That was 4 days ago. Still no call to date.

4TH dealer / service team [in our town]: Says the issue is related the the v41 service bulletin. Offers us an appointment 1 week out. We take it as they are seeming the only FCA service team we found that was even picking up the phone.

Anyhow, we drive the remaining 800 miles under 60. Not exactly fun with trucks/cars going 70-80 all around us. So we divert to smaller alternate routes. Upside, amazing gas milage and great small town visits... On the down side, bad 1st impression from the FCA / Jeep brand. We felt this issue wasn't something that should have been dismissed so casually considering we just purchased the vehicle. FCA is aware of this issue, the Jeep was sold to us without the service being done, and depending on the situation, it felt dangerous at times. Especially on freeways with high speed limits. The fact a few Jeep team(s) didn't seem concerned enough to even pick up a phone let alone do much to help was kind load of sh8t. I can't imagine the FCA / Jeep PR team would be all that thrilled about these types of experiences playing out in market. Bad for a major brand like FCA. Or at least one would think.

Call dealership and see if they will take the Jeep back as you will not be happy with the Jeep ownership experience.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a used JLU Sahara 3 weeks ago. Dealer had already done v41, but after I took delivery I experienced the wandering/loose steering thatā€™s common. I called, and the did the steering reconfiguration as well as replaced the track bar hassle free. I had to go back a second time for the track bar because they had to order it, but both times I was out in 2 hours after making the appointment the day before.

Not all service depts are bad, you just unfortunately may have to try a few before you find one willing to work with you and that knows what theyā€™re doing.

When you get the steering stabilizer done (v41), make sure they install it correctly. Some dealers have actually installed it backwards. Thereā€™s a sticker with an arrow on it that points to the front, so itā€™s easy and quick to check.

OP
OP

macolle

First Name
Ang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara / Unlimited
Call dealership and see if they will take the Jeep back as you will not be happy with the Jeep ownership experience.
I'm going to give them a shot to fix it. Just was questioning why they didn't seem all that concerned.

250brider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'm going to give them a shot to fix it. Just was questioning why they didn't seem all that concerned.
Are you in Colorado Springs? If so, be careful with Perkins, put mine in backwards (upside down). getting it back in for them to replace it and install it right has been a nightmarish joke. Numerous messages left, no calls returned, they pretty much suck. I am probably going to give up on them and just do a Fox on my own.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hi Ang,
We're sorry to hear about your experience and we certainly understand your frustration. Please keep us updated on your appointment next week. If any assistance is needed, please send our team a PM.
Alex
JeepCares

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
In general, I find that the less money you spend with an establishment, the less businesses are willing to help you. I try to avoid making a major purchase at one location, and seeking service at another.

Also, I see you are in Colorado, where the weather is turning cold this time of year. Many automotive service businesses are exceptionally busy with the increased number of winter tire changeovers that occur at this time of year. The volume of tire swaps alone back up schedules. Often other issues are discovered when doing a simple tire swap as well, such as worn brakes.

Sponsored

mreloc

First Name
ME
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Altitude; VWGTI
In general, I find that the less money you spend with an establishment, the less businesses are willing to help you. I try to avoid making a major purchase at one location, and seeking service at another.

Also, I see you are in Colorado, where the weather is turning cold this time of year. Many automotive service businesses are exceptionally busy with the increased number of winter tire changeovers that occur at this time of year. The volume of tire swaps alone back up schedules. Often other issues are discovered when doing a simple tire swap as well, such as worn brakes.
Although on the surface I can see why you say this, however, dealership bread and butter comes from service/repair revenue not so much on profits made on selling vehicles.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Although on the surface I can see why you say this, however, dealership bread and butter comes from service/repair revenue not so much on profits made on selling vehicles.
We have very poor dealerships in the U.K. too...thatā€™s across all makes not just FCA, Mercedes in particular are terrible these days.

I think this is partly because they no longer employ ā€˜time servedā€™ mechanics who in the past would have been able to self diagnose problems Instead they employ ā€˜fittersā€™ on low wages and with no experience or knowledge. This combined with consumer demands for ever more features and complexities has left us with the current situation.

Do we want to pay more for dealership services? No, so it is what it is.

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
E R docters take gunshot wounds with a grain of salt, if not life threatening, most dealerships absolutely positively could not give a f***

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Yah it sucks! My sister lives 2.5 miles from the Los Angeles dealership on Figueroa but they told her since she didnā€™t buy her challenger there they wouldnā€™t service it. This was before I got my Jeep and I had never heard of a dealership turning people away before so I was really surprised. These dealerships are all privately owned so guess they do whatever they want.

I called my dealership where I bought my Jeep to take it in for some minor warranty issues but they didnā€™t have a rental available for me for two weeks. So I called the Buena Park dealership and they welcomed me with open arms thank goodness. No rental but they called an Uber for me. I think I got lucky with them because theyā€™re a new dealership and probably looking for new business. Iā€™m taking my Jeep there from now on. They were all really nice and I was so happy with their service.

Huskywrangler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If it makes you feel any better my jeep has been at the dealership since 11/4 just to get the door hinges repainted....
Sponsored