Sponsored

Are Jeep manuals better than they were 25+ years ago?

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Okay, so I drove a manual Charger throughout HS and GF's Dad Jeep alot. I have opted for autos since that time. I've had several jeepers in JK's tell me recently that their manuals sort of act like an auto now, basically not what I was used to.

Do the JK manuals and general manuals of today not roll back when on a hill at a light or etc?

Do they really have tech in them that makes a manual "nearly" stall-proof? I didn't ever have much of a issue with stalling but the feel of the "sweet spot" would fade for me at times with older Jeep. Please chime in if you have/had a JK manual. Thank you.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The JK manual drives like a truck manual. I don't know what you mean about tech to keep it from rolling back. It works just like every other manual I've ever had. If you don't know what you are doing, you'll roll back on a hill start.

OP
OP

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
The JK manual drives like a truck manual. I don't know what you mean about tech to keep it from rolling back. It works just like every other manual I've ever had. If you don't know what you are doing, you'll roll back on a hill start.
Okay. I was told they added tech in the JK's manual that keep it from rolling back. Hill start help it might have been called? I can't recall really. I was just very surprised to hear a manual being compared to an auto and thought to myself I did like driving a stick most the time and if they've come a long way in JK's and now JL's that I might have to try it. I guess you're saying no such tech exists so oh well, worth asking.

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
If youā€™re not in gear you roll. There isnā€™t magical technology that can prevent that. Clutches are easier than the old truck clutches of ages gone by. My secret to not rolling back is using the e-brake. Typically only use on a steep driveway. Not sure if there are other stall preventer things so you can clutch out with a foot still on the brake and do the transition without killing the engine.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
If youā€™re not in gear you roll. There isnā€™t magical technology that can prevent that. Clutches are easier than the old truck clutches of ages gone by. My secret to not rolling back is using the e-brake. Typically only use on a steep driveway. Not sure if there are other stall preventer things so you can clutch out with a foot still on the brake and do the transition without killing the engine.
Thanks. I thought is sounded too good to be true but Jeeps have come such a long way I'm always amazed. Loving the JL.

OP
OP

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
This is Hill Start Assist and is explained in the owners manual under safety fearures. It's standard on JK and JL. It can be turned off.
Thanks. Could you explain how this works injunction with the manual? That sounds a lot like what I was told. Very neat.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The older JK's don't have it. Newer ones might, but my 08 does not. However, it does have a hand brake, which Europeans know how to use for just that purpose.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Thanks. Could you explain how this works injunction with the manual? That sounds a lot like what I was told. Very neat.
From the manual:

The HSA system is designed to mitigate roll back from a complete stop while on an incline. If the driver releases the brake while stopped on an incline, HSA will continue to hold the brake pressure for a short period. If the driver does not apply the throttle before this time expires, the system will release brake pressure and the vehicle will roll down the hill as normal.

The following conditions must be met in order for HSA to activate:

• The feature must be enabled.

• The vehicle must be stopped.

• Park brake must be off.

• Driver door must be closed. (If the doors are attached, then the door must be closed. If the doors are detached then the driverā€™s seatbelt must be buckled.)

• The vehicle must be on a sufficient grade.

• The gear selection must match vehicle uphill direction (i.e., vehicle facing uphill is in forward gear; vehicle backing uphill is in REVERSE gear).

• HSA will work in REVERSE gear and all forward gears. The system will not activate if the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL. For vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, if the clutch is pressed, HSA will remain active

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is Hill Start Assist and is explained in the owners manual under safety fearures. It's standard on JK and JL. It can be turned off.
I've got to find this. I'm guessing it keeps the brakes engaged until the clutch starts to slip?

Edit...answered before I finished typing. Thanks!

Sponsored

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I'm torn: I dislike the idea of something like this surprising me, especially on a trail, but I also for a few months had some severe stalling problems (and a less-than-robust e-brake) that would have made for a nightmare had they bitten me while off-roading.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I'm torn: I dislike the idea of something like this surprising me, especially on a trail, but I also for a few months had some severe stalling problems (and a less-than-robust e-brake) that would have made for a nightmare had they bitten me while off-roading.
Some people on the JK forums hate it. Fortunately HSA can be disabled.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What year did the JK get this? My wife and I don't need it, but I could see it being useful as a learning tool for our 16yo daughter, who will be learning very soon.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR
When I bought my ā€˜12 JKR the very first thing I did was turn off the hill holder feature. Not trying to be a smart ass, if you truly need this feature; donā€™t buy a manual. Better yet, if you really want a manual; take some time and learn how to drive with a stick, but turn this ridiculous feature off.

Something else I experienced with the hill holder feature, it was actually operating slightly 100% of the time. As soon as the required steps were taken to disable this feature; my vehicle began to roll by itself. I was stopped, in neutral, no clutch depression, on a very slight inclined parking lot when I disabled it. Canā€™t say if this technology has been improved in the past 5 years.

OP
OP

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
From the manual:

The HSA system is designed to mitigate roll back from a complete stop while on an incline. If the driver releases the brake while stopped on an incline, HSA will continue to hold the brake pressure for a short period. If the driver does not apply the throttle before this time expires, the system will release brake pressure and the vehicle will roll down the hill as normal.

The following conditions must be met in order for HSA to activate:

• The feature must be enabled.

• The vehicle must be stopped.

• Park brake must be off.

• Driver door must be closed. (If the doors are attached, then the door must be closed. If the doors are detached then the driverā€™s seatbelt must be buckled.)

• The vehicle must be on a sufficient grade.

• The gear selection must match vehicle uphill direction (i.e., vehicle facing uphill is in forward gear; vehicle backing uphill is in REVERSE gear).

• HSA will work in REVERSE gear and all forward gears. The system will not activate if the transmission is in PARK or NEUTRAL. For vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, if the clutch is pressed, HSA will remain active
Thanks. Very cool tech. I haven't had a manual in so long but I think I'll have to at least try one out in the JL.
Sponsored