Sponsored

Are folks getting 6% under invoice on the Sport S 2door?

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hey,

I know there's a ton of people on here (I'm one of them) getting 6% under invoice on a 4dr Rubicon, Sahara, etc.

What about a 2dr Sport S (bare-bones)? Are folks getting 6% under invoice? I know there's less to mark-up, so probably less to discount.

Thanks
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Slightly off topic, but will you share what dealership sold to you at 6% below invoice and what fees or add ons there were? How was the buying experience overall? I’m in the Houston area and willing to travel some for a good deal if necessary.

Avl2294

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2014 JKU Sahara 2004 Dodge Viper
I just want to know how dealers can offer that much of a discount and still come out on top. Anyone know how they do it?

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'd also be interested in hearing from someone with an insiders perspective on how dealerships work. I've done some deconstruction of the KBB "fair market price," and it seems that they discount the base model at a lower rate than options (edit: meaning, less of a discount on the base model), but the deltas where quite small.

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I placed an order with @Travis@TriCityJeep and got 5% under invoice plus an additional 1% to make a full 6% with the tread lightly discount.

Sponsored

OP
OP
phatjoe

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Slightly off topic, but will you share what dealership sold to you at 6% below invoice and what fees or add ons there were? How was the buying experience overall? I’m in the Houston area and willing to travel some for a good deal if necessary.
"jeep noob", I sent you pm.

Thanks "abecker" for the lead. I'll keep it in mind. I'm hoping others will chime in as well...I hope closer to Austin. :)

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Bullheads1

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Healthcare Recruiter
Dealers offering 6% below invoice are getting you somewhere. Whether it’s through low balling your trade, with dealer add ons, not buying down your in house financing rate or tacking on a percentage or two to the back end.

I have yet to see somebody get a full 5 or 6% below invoice without dealer add ons or trading in a vehicle. Something where the dealer can move money. Dealer going to make something off everybody. Only way they take a loss on price into hold back is if they can make it up elsewhere. They are not in the business to lose money. They may take $500 mini deals to move volume and get bonus checks through Jeep but doubt seriously they make break even deals on a hot vehicle like the new JL.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Dealers offering 6% below invoice are getting you somewhere. Whether it’s through low balling your trade, with dealer add ons, not buying down your in house financing rate or tacking on a percentage or two to the back end.

I have yet to see somebody get a full 5 or 6% below invoice without dealer add ons or trading in a vehicle. Something where the dealer can move money. Dealer going to make something off everybody. Only way they take a loss on price into hold back is if they can make it up elsewhere. They are not in the business to lose money. They may take $500 mini deals to move volume and get bonus checks through Jeep but doubt seriously they make break even deals on a hot vehicle like the new JL.
Of course the dealers make money. The are not necessarily "Getting you". There are lot of variables in a dealer's fixed cost that may allow them to sell Sold Orders at aggressive prices. The margin is less perhaps than a lot vehicle but they have no carrying costs either.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how they make their money as long as it is a god deal for you.

Bullheads1

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Healthcare Recruiter
Of course the dealers make money. The are not necessarily "Getting you". There are lot of variables in a dealer's fixed cost that may allow them to sell Sold Orders at aggressive prices. The margin is less perhaps than a lot vehicle but they have no carrying costs either.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how they make their money as long as it is a god deal for you.
The same variables exist as well in a car deal. Not every customer shopping for a car is going to get the same deal. To many things can differ. Credit scores, trade-ins(equity versus upside down), financing rates...etc.

Just as when you see a loss leader on a car advertisement to get you on the lot and many times it isn’t there. Any promise of 5% under invoice across the board without knowing the qualifying of the customer is nothing more then a ploy to get you on the lot. Many will not get that deal unless they meet all the specific qualifications of stars aligning where the lot can spin the deal to still realize a profit.

No chance will the guy with a low 600 credit score go onto a lot with a trade that is upside down 4 or 5K and no additional money down get that premier deal and dictate terms. If they could even finance that guy he going to get taken for a ride. No way around it.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
The same variables exist as well in a car deal. Not every customer shopping for a car is going to get the same deal. To many things can differ. Credit scores, trade-ins(equity versus upside down), financing rates...etc.

Just as when you see a loss leader on a car advertisement to get you on the lot and many times it isn’t there. Any promise of 5% under invoice across the board without knowing the qualifying of the customer is nothing more then a ploy to get you on the lot. Many will not get that deal unless they meet all the specific qualifications of stars aligning where the lot can spin the deal to still realize a profit.

No chance will the guy with a low 600 credit score go onto a lot with a trade that is upside down 4 or 5K and no additional money down get that premier deal and dictate terms. If they could even finance that guy he going to get taken for a ride. No way around it.
You have to look closely at all these deals, but generally these are good dealers who have found a model that works for them and they are very transparent.

There are 3 parts to a vehicle deal -

1. Selling Price
2. Trade-In
3. Financing

These selling prices are legitimate. The other variables have to be worked also but the good news is you can do them separately.

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 04Chevy 2500HD/ duramax, Yamaha Royal Star Venture
I could not find this type of deal when I ordered my 2 door sport JL. The out the door price is what I look at. I called several dealers and each one was diffierent in what they could add on, registration fees, dock fees,etc. It all depends on what FCA is offering the dealers to move certain vehicles, they get bonuses on how many they sale of a certain model and I sure FCA is pushing the higher end jeeps. I had one dealer tell me I had to have a trade in, finance thru FCA and they had to do TT&L by the time he was thru the OTD price was almost back to MSRP. I went with my local dealer because the savings was not enough to travel somewhere for the sport. I got 2% below invoice so I'm happy with it and thats all that matters.

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I could not find this type of deal when I ordered my 2 door sport JL. The out the door price is what I look at. I called several dealers and each one was diffierent in what they could add on, registration fees, dock fees,etc. It all depends on what FCA is offering the dealers to move certain vehicles, they get bonuses on how many they sale of a certain model and I sure FCA is pushing the higher end jeeps. I had one dealer tell me I had to have a trade in, finance thru FCA and they had to do TT&L by the time he was thru the OTD price was almost back to MSRP. I went with my local dealer because the savings was not enough to travel somewhere for the sport. I got 2% below invoice so I'm happy with it and thats all that matters.
You should have visited with Kim at Superior in Conway...

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 04Chevy 2500HD/ duramax, Yamaha Royal Star Venture
You should have visited with Kim at Superior in Conway...
Like I said the savings was not there because Superior was one of the dealers I called.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting 6% below invoice at River Oaks Jeep in Houston on a JL "Sport", so it's even more bare bones than the "Sport S" model that you asked about. The only things I added to it were air-conditioning, LSD (w/ Bridgestone A/T tires), and a hard top. It is supposed to be ready for me to pick it up today. The cost was $29,622 +TT&L. I sold my previous vehicle elsewhere for over twice what the dealership would offer me. Had to get the TreadLightly package to get that additional discount, so $100 added to the cost. I'm paying cash, so there's no games they can play with financing. It should take very little time to do the paperwork today since I'm not going to be getting an extended warranty or anything. It should just consist of me writing out a check to them, signing the bill of sale, and them giving me the keys.

Assuming the JL was delivered to their lot last night like they *said* would happen.

Austin is pretty close to Houston, so it's definitely worth the drive if none of the dealerships around there are willing to deal with you.
Sponsored