Sponsored

Are Dealerships Still Pricing Under Invoice?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Dumb question for the forum. I'm wrapping up negotiation among some local TX dealers. I've gotten acceptable verbal terms from one (new order, 6% below invoice, $400 Title/doc, no dealer adds, use TL, use dealer financing, dangled trade-in potential).

However, I've run into a roadblock in advancing this to the order stage. The dealer is unwilling to provide written documentation of terms (E.g. invoice before tax & trade, written terms sheet, etc.).

I'm reluctant to place an order (and $500 deposit) without these items documented. Am I being unreasonable?... my leaning is to just say f-it and go with Gupton or the like.
Personally, if the dealer isn't willing to put the offer in writing, it's not a real offer, and thus, they should be removed from consideration.

Gupton has been refreshingly upfront and transparent throughout my whole process. Picking it up Saturday. It's stupid cheap to get up to Nashville via Southwest.
Sponsored

ResGuy68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner, 16 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Personally, if the dealer isn't willing to put the offer in writing, it's not a real offer, and thus, they should be removed from consideration.

Gupton has been refreshingly upfront and transparent throughout my whole process. Picking it up Saturday. It's stupid cheap to get up to Nashville via Southwest.
Thanks! This is the affirmation I needed to hear. My leaning was to go with Gupton from the get-go, but I thought I'd give the local shops a try. They've been... painful... and I'll be tabling any further discussions.

Fortunately, I've been looking for an excuse to get out to Nashville. Spent my undergrad years out there and may just have to visit a few old buddies.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Thanks! This is the affirmation I needed to hear. My leaning was to go with Gupton from the get-go, but I thought I'd give the local shops a try. They've been... painful... and I'll be tabling any further discussions.

Fortunately, I've been looking for an excuse to get out to Nashville. Spent my undergrad years out there and may just have to visit a few old buddies.
If you've got the time, you could definitely make a sweet trip out of it. Nashville is an awesome town, but you've got the Great Smokey Mountains right there, too - just a few hours away.

Unfortunately, my pickup trip is going to be quick - flying up there and driving straight back.

JLUAltitude

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Unlimited Sport Altitude
Kevin and Patrick at Criswell were amazing to deal with. They got back to me immediately with any information I needed. They were polite and professional. You owe it to yourself to give them a try before you buy or order from anyone else. You will be happy you did.

t.i.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler buying soon
Kevin and Patrick at Criswell were amazing to deal with. They got back to me immediately with any information I needed. They were polite and professional. You owe it to yourself to give them a try before you buy or order from anyone else. You will be happy you did.
How much did discount off MSRP did you end up getting?

Sponsored

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Built my Jeep on 7/10 with deposit. Is it abnormal to have not received confirmation of your order or VON 5 days later? Could the plant being shutdown this week put a hold on this?

Last edited:

barometer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
Not a dumb question. I went with DeMontrond in Conroe, for a killer deal, and my salesman was Neil Carpenter. DM me and I'll share his mobile number.

He was no BS and I got paperwork on everything.
I have tried to contact Neil via text, phone, email but absolutely no response. I'm going ahead with Gupton due to that. Let me know if you have received a better response.

ResGuy68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner, 16 Jeep Wrangler Sport
I have tried to contact Neil via text, phone, email but absolutely no response. I'm going ahead with Gupton due to that. Let me know if you have received a better response.
I'd mirror your experience. Wasn't able to contact Neil. He may have left the game. Hope he's doing alright.

Just pulled the trigger today for the 7-8% below invoice with Gupton. Had a god awful time trying to get my local outfits to document agreed upon pricing. Love the tidy, honest approach of Gupton.

gd3mats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2o21 willys sport unlimited
We just picked this up from @RobTrachtman this morning.
Jeep Wrangler JL Are Dealerships Still Pricing Under Invoice? IMG_20210716_114713_2
Ordered on June 16. Was notified of delivery on Monday July 12. Got it for under invoice without all the haggling.
I truly enjoyed this experience. Might the easiest purchase ever, even with the 1 hour commute down to get there and 90 minutes back.

2o21 willys sport
2.0l
hard top
tow package

Nothing more, nothing less.

THANKS AGAIN ROB!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Are Dealerships Still Pricing Under Invoice? IMG_20210716_114713_2

Sponsored

702Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner
I'm very surprised to hear that people are even able to buy below MSRP, let alone below invoice! If I decide to pull the trigger, I wonder if I'll be able to get a Las Vegas area dealer to give me a good deal. I'd rather buy closer to home.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I'm very surprised to hear that people are even able to buy below MSRP, let alone below invoice! If I decide to pull the trigger, I wonder if I'll be able to get a Las Vegas area dealer to give me a good deal. I'd rather buy closer to home.
I am more surprised by the price increases than I am people being able to buy below invoice. The greedy will ultimately be punished. A car isn't a rare item.

702Rubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner
I am more surprised by the price increases than I am people being able to buy below invoice. The greedy will ultimately be punished. A car isn't a rare item.
Some makes/models are rare items right now.

I'm still undecided between trading in my 4Runner for another one, or trading it in on a Rubi, or just keeping it.

I've found that 4Runners are often already sold before they reach a dealer. I drove past the local Toyota dealer today, and was amazed how empty their lot is.

Having said all that, a year from now the pendulum may have swung the other direction, with dealer lots overflowing and discounts galore.

t.i.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler buying soon
Has anyone dealt with Kent at Peterson Jeep in Idaho. Took down mine info a couple days ago and haven’t heard from him again. Even after following up with an email and a call this morning, nothing.

Olga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2010 Ford Fusion
Build Thread
Link
Has anyone dealt with Kent at Peterson Jeep in Idaho. Took down mine info a couple days ago and haven’t heard from him again. Even after following up with an email and a call this morning, nothing.
My husband and I dealt with Kent. And yes, it does take some determination to reach him, unfortunately. The longest he didn't respond was two days. But in the end, we got our jeep.
Sponsored