Sponsored

Are Dealerships Still Pricing Under Invoice?

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
I’ve been dreaming of getting a hybrid Wrangler since they were first hinted at years ago. I spoke to one member who got 4% under invoice when he ordered his 4xe Rubicon in January from a dealership near me in Fort Walton Beach, FL.

I’ve been casually texting a salesperson about what they have coming in and they suggested ordering one since I don’t want every bell and whistle there is. When I mentioned that other member’s deal, their response was, “Who was it? Lol.”

Granted, the new car market is crazy right now, but I keep reading about members getting great deals still. Is this just a salesman being a salesman or is it unrealistic to ask for pricing that low now? Do I need to adjust my expectations?
Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I’ve been dreaming of getting a hybrid Wrangler since they were first hinted at years ago. I spoke to one member who got 4% under invoice when he ordered his 4xe Rubicon in January from a dealership near me in Fort Walton Beach, FL.

I’ve been casually texting a salesperson about what they have coming in and they suggested ordering one since I don’t want every bell and whistle there is. When I mentioned that other member’s deal, their response was, “Who was it? Lol.”

Granted, the new car market is crazy right now, but I keep reading about members getting great deals still. Is this just a salesman being a salesman or is it unrealistic to ask for pricing that low now? Do I need to adjust my expectations?
There are people getting decent purchase prices in certain states, at specific dealerships. Just know, most dealerships aren't just axing under invoice discounts, they are charging above MSRP.

syismaster1

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys

If you are up for a drive Daniel and Rene at Gupton Motors in Tennessee will absolutely give you the best deal compared to FL dealers. I have talked to more than 10 FL dealers and none will deal more than 1% under invoice even pre pandemic except Lakeland but because of the shortage he stopped with that deal so Gupton motors it was. I'm from Tampa and we are making the trip as we are saving more than 5k on the car purchase so great deals are absolutely possible; don't feel pressured into anything especially if its not what you want these Jeeps are not cheap.

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
but I keep reading about members getting great deals
On 4Xe’s? “Great” deals are all subjective. What’s “great” to one buyer may not be so great to you.

My advice? Don’t be so unreasonable and unrelenting towards pricing expectations that you miss out in getting the Jeep that you want. If that hot deal that someone else is bragging about sounds too good to be true… it probably is.

At the same time, don’t walk into the dealership with an open hole in the rear of your pants.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Before all these recent shortages, many dealers also did not discount the 4Xe as much as the other Wranglers.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Obispo325

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
Before all these recent shortages, many dealers also did not discount the 4Xe as much as the other Wranglers.
I’m not really opposed to the 2.0 either, I just have a short commute and the instant torque seems awesome. Just wondering how much of a discount I could get on either by ordering.

MyBandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, 2014 Chevy SS, 2015 Chevy SS
If you are up for a drive Daniel and Rene at Gupton Motors in Tennessee will absolutely give you the best deal compared to FL dealers. I have talked to more than 10 FL dealers and none will deal more than 1% under invoice even pre pandemic except Lakeland but because of the shortage he stopped with that deal so Gupton motors it was. I'm from Tampa and we are making the trip as we are saving more than 5k on the car purchase so great deals are absolutely possible; don't feel pressured into anything especially if its not what you want these Jeeps are not cheap.
Lakeland stopped the Tread Lightly deal?

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I was under the impression that dealerships had to accept Tread Lightly?
I asked a few dealers here in SoCal. Not accepting tread lightly on orders right now. Whether they’re supposed to be doing that or not I’m unsure.

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
Lakeland gave me a good price (will be saving about $5k as well) when I ordered in early May. I should be picking it up soon, and when I do and have all the final numbers and deal done I'll give an update.

Sponsored

syismaster1

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Lakeland stopped the Tread Lightly deal?
No I guess I did not word that correctly. At first he was offering 7% below invoice with Tread Lightly but after Criswell and some other dealers lowered their % he did the same thing so it was thousands more than Gupton motors quoted me (8% below on May 18th). I waited too long to order I wish I ordered sooner

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I was under the impression that dealerships had to accept Tread Lightly?
Dealers aren't required to accept FCA Affiliate Control Numbers (like Tread Lightly), although depending upon the kickbacks to the dealer, it would be stupid not to.

I believe with Tread Lightly, there's a total of a 2% discount, split between the dealer and buyer.

kglassic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.criswellchryslerjeepdodge.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Occupation
Jeep Sales Manager

Criswell Jeep 10 day special offer:

Factory orders 5% below invoice now through Friday, June 18, 2021 @ 6:00 pm EST.

2021 Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited factory orders – 5% below factory invoice (2% Jeep Forum member + 1% AR + 2% conventional financing/leasing).

Our forum pricing does not include your state and local tax, tag/title fees and dealer processing of $500.

No additional fees, equipment or accessories added to your price. Wheel locks are included at no charge (can’t change company policy but we can give them away!)

All trade-in appraisal values are guaranteed until time of delivery of your new Jeep.

Please contact us at [email protected].

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Dealers aren't required to accept FCA Affiliate Control Numbers (like Tread Lightly), although depending upon the kickbacks to the dealer, it would be stupid not to.

I believe with Tread Lightly, there's a total of a 2% discount, split between the dealer and buyer.
It's a total freebee for the dealer. A lot of dealers are not familiar with Affiliate or Tread lightly. I have delt with a couple of dealers who knew nothing about it. Or they are too lazy to have someone at the dealership do the paperwork for it.

Luvwine

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I am not sure if I am supposed to tell the public who the dealer was that I just ordered from. However, a NC dealer just sold me a Rubicon 4XE for 5% under invoice, 6% with tread lightly and 7% if financing at least 50% of purchase price. I am not going to finance. Just placed the order so it will be a while before it comes in I suspect. Just letting folks know deals are still out there. If someone is interested, feel free to PM and i will pass along my contact at the dealer.
Sponsored