Sponsored

Are Dealerships Still Pricing Under Invoice?

Granada

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
I know you guys are wanting to stay local, but I'd recommend that you do some math, as well.

Depending on the overall value of your build, the difference in 1% below invoice and 7% below invoice could be $6-8K - that's a lot of money.

A flight to Nashville from Boston would be ~$400, less depending on how hard you shop it. It's a 17 hour drive, so maybe plan on 3 days so you can take it slow on backroads to break the engine in. You're looking at ~$1K in travel costs (gas, food, hotel, etc)

So if you've got the flexibility in your life to take 3 days off (or time it on a weekend) then you could easily save a net of $5-7K. For me that's a huge amount of money, and gives allowance for some of the "nice to have" packages that I wanted.
On a $50k build wouldn't the difference between 1% and 7% be $3000? I'm also trading in a vehicle and MA allows you to reduce the sales tax liability by the value of your trade ($1250 for my case). By the time I factor travel costs, sales tax, and taking time off from work/parenting, I don't think it adds up for me. A few years ago, absolutely.

Is my math off?
Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

On a $50k build wouldn't the difference between 1% and 7% be $3000? I'm also trading in a vehicle and MA allows you to reduce the sales tax liability by the value of your trade ($1250 for my case). By the time I factor travel costs, sales tax, and taking time off from work/parenting, I don't think it adds up for me. A few years ago, absolutely.

Is my math off?
I ordered from Gupton on Tuesday. My build is $53,690 MSRP, I'm paying $46,642. Nearly $7K.

I'm not trading, so not looking at any trade value.

Everyone's math will be different, and obviously if you really want to buy it local, then do. Just pointing out that a little flexibility can save you A LOT of money, potentially. You may also be in a position where $6-7K isn't enough to go through the hassle of ordering out of state. For me, it absolutely is.

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
If buying out of state, in NH all you need to do is apply for a 20-day TEMP plate using the paperwork you get from the dealer. Bring that plate with you and enjoy your road trip. No sales tax issues in NH (unlike Mass).

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It's different for everyone.

Even today, most people should easily be able to get 2%-3% under invoice with a Affiliate or Tread Lightly. The best deals in the country are 6%-8% under invoice with Affiliate or TL and depending on if you use the dealer's financing for the extra 1%. Then you need to take into consideration any DOC fees. A $499 DOC fee is probably equal to 1% of invoice on average for a well equipped JL. DOC fees are regulated by each State so there can be a HUGE difference. Almost a $1K difference between some States. For example FL has the highest DOC fees in the nation which can equal as much as 2% of the invoice. Then you have to consider if there are any other add-ons or stipulations.

"The states with very high doc fees are generally the ones where there are no cap rules. The states of Florida, Colorado, Georgia, Alabama, and North Carolina have the highest doc fees. The states of California, Oregon, New York, South Dakota, and Arizona have the lowest doc fees."

jcrewboy

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Wrangler Sport 2dr
You can ship a Wrangler if you don't have the time to take time off and still be thousands ahead. Easily.

Gupton is located in a fun part of the country. TN is beautiful, lots of fun roads, great restaurants, and things to do. Personally I would make a adventure out of the trip. I have traveled for 5-6 cars before. Most recently a month ago for a new car. I plan on ordering from Gupton if none of my local dealers are competitive. I see traveling to TN as a free road trip.
I like the shipping idea - who have you used before that worked well for you?

Sponsored

93civEJ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
I ordered from Gupton on Tuesday. My build is $53,690 MSRP, I'm paying $46,642. Nearly $7K.

I'm not trading, so not looking at any trade value.

Everyone's math will be different, and obviously if you really want to buy it local, then do. Just pointing out that a little flexibility can save you A LOT of money, potentially. You may also be in a position where $6-7K isn't enough to go through the hassle of ordering out of state. For me, it absolutely is.
If you go through gupton, you more than likely wont get tax benefits by trading anyway. They prefer you to sell first before ordering because their trade values are sooo low compared to other dealers. Their reasoning, is they can sell new orders for much less than a used vehicle on the lot, so they cant give as much for trades. They offered me about 10k less than KBB instant cash offer dealers.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

If you go through gupton, you more than likely wont get tax benefits by trading anyway. They prefer you to sell first before ordering because their trade values are sooo low compared to other dealers. Their reasoning, is they can sell new orders for much less than a used vehicle on the lot, so they cant give as much for trades. They offered me about 10k less than KBB instant cash offer dealers.
Yeah I'm planning on selling so that I have the cash for my first set of mods vs savings on my overall amount financed. I've gotten quotes from Carvana, Carmax, Vroom, etc, so that's my budget. When I get home with my new Jeep, I'll call whoever gives me the most and sell it that week. Then I plan to drive it for a month stock before I actually purchase any mods.

Having the hardest time figuring out lift vs tires. Currently leaning towards a Rubicon take-off from FB and then 33s, but wtf knows, lol.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I like the shipping idea - who have you used before that worked well for you?
I have always flown one-way or rented a car one-way and driven back. I did that as recently as last month. Rented a car one-way for $200. Drove it 600 miles to buy a new car. Dropped off the rental there and drove my new car 10 hours back home. I plan on renting a car one-way to TN if I buy from Gupton. I have been to the area a few times and love it. I will probably spend a few days vacationing in TN before heading home.

I plan on ordering a C8 and taking Museum Delivery so I will be back in that part of the country a couple of times for cars soon. On the way back from Gupton I will definitely stop in Bowling Green KY to visit the National Corvette Museum and Corvette Factory on the way home. Hopefully everything is open by the time I pick up my JL. I HIGHLY recommend the NCM and Corvette Factory to anyone who is going to Gupton for a Jeep! It is well worth the 1 hour drive from Gupton! The Smokey Pig BBQ alone is worth the trip!

Dealers usually have a transport company they use. I would ask Guption or whoever you buy from about transport.

A friend has used Ready Logistics for car purchases and is happy with them. I believe Ready Logistics is one of the largest automobile transport companies. They are owned by Cox Automotive who I also believe owns Manheim Auctions. They are the largest automobile auction in the country.

https://www.readylogistics.com

Smokey Pig BBQ
https://www.manicamerican.com/kentucky-barbecue-monroe-county-shoulder-smokey-pig-bowling-green/

National Corvette Museum
https://www.corvettemuseum.org/visit/

Corvette Factory Tour
https://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant.com/

Last edited:

Olga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2010 Ford Fusion
Build Thread
Link
with a Affiliate or Tread Lightly
To clarify, there's no "or" here. When you donate $100+ to Tread Lightly they enroll you to the affiliate rewards program 1% below factory invoice. Basically, it's your way in if you don't qualify otherwise.

Olga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2010 Ford Fusion
Build Thread
Link
I’m checking out the Tread Lightly Membership and was wondering if it only applies to Jeeps that are ordered. Can you get one off the lot and have your affiliate number applied to that sale and drive it home for 1% under invoice?
Yes, you can get one off the lot as long as it's new.

Sponsored

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Then you need to take into consideration any DOC fees. A $499 DOC fee is probably equal to 1% of invoice on average for a well equipped JL. DOC fees are regulated by each State so there can be a HUGE difference. Almost a $1K difference between some States. For example FL has the highest DOC fees in the nation which can equal as much as 2% of the invoice.

"The states with very high doc fees are generally the ones where there are no cap rules. The states of Florida, Colorado, Georgia, Alabama, and North Carolina have the highest doc fees. The states of California, Oregon, New York, South Dakota, and Arizona have the lowest doc fees."
I wanted to comment on the above, as someone who lives in Florida. From your quote above, it almost sounds like Florida has a mandated $1000 doc fee - that's not true. The actual cost to register a new car in Florida is reasonable, on the order of $200-500 depending on whether or not you need a new license plate - the remainder of those fees is just another profit center for the dealership.

As noted above, some states CAP doc fees, (Florida does not) which IMO is great as it prevents dealerships from inserting fake profit items that aren't obvious to consumers.

Locally I have dealers who charge $850 and some who charge $1300. I have bought vehicles out of state, they did all my FL paperwork, and I paid less than $650.

amajoh

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab, 2014 JK Willys
To clarify, there's no "or" here. When you donate $100+ to Tread Lightly they enroll you to the affiliate rewards program 1% below factory invoice. Basically, it's your way in if you don't qualify otherwise.
What if you do qualify through one of those other ways? Is it still the 1% off invoice?

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Thank you for sharing this! I didn't even realize my company was in the Affiliate Program. I even tried to check when I started last month.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
For those in thre Boston area, try Central Jeep in Raynham. Ask for the GM Adam Silver and mention this forum. They were in the 3-4% range with tread lightly. (they did the discount as a dollar amount below FFP/tread lightly pricing) I am not sure if they are still doing that deal but they were doing it earlier this year.
Sponsored