Are coilovers overkill?

xray

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I have been looking over some JK sites and some sweet looking EVO "bolt" on coilovers with Kings. Are all these kits completely overkill? I mean the price for the medium and long arm kits is not that far off from a coilover kit. F+R ~= $3500 vs $2200 for similar kings and all the suspension arm stuff.

Do coilovers behave nicely on-road? I.e. is there more lean and such? What's the longevity of coilovers vs just having the bucket spring + a shock?

I did notice that the kit recommended a lift and a new driveshaft, so that will raise cost significantly.
Sponsored

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
I currently run King 12" 2.0's on my 2012 and I love them. I had wished I had made the switch much earlier but it is definitely not a cheap option. The coil-over's themselves I got as refurbished and still cost about $3500, this does not include the new control arms, driveshafts, exhaust system, completely revamped steering system, brake lines, wheels, tires, and a host of other add ons that will come with running coil-overs. In addition to all that regular maintenance is not cheap, 150-300 per corner to have the coil-overs serviced every 3-5 years, another 300-400 for the control arms, driveshafts need to be checked every 3000 miles, and so on and so forth.

As far as with the JL, I'll most likely just swap to King air shocks when the stock ones bite the dust. The ride is on par with the coil overs and I honestly don't plan on wanting something as extreme as I went with my 2012. Something else to consider give Rebel Offroad and EVO some time to look at the JL and who knows with the JL having a better suspension than the JK, coil-overs could be much easier to get on the JL's without all the extra required parts.