Are cars becoming unserviceable?

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I hope he is wrong. Because if he is right then only the Camry and F150 owners have any hope in a future of unreliable supply chains.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
He’s got some good point’s. The increase of electronics will make it harder to get repair parts long term. Like they are going to a disposable vehicle but the prices keep going up.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
He’s got some good point’s. The increase of electronics will make it harder to get repair parts long term. Like they are going to a disposable vehicle but the prices keep going up.
This is why leasing is starting to become a more popular option. Despite the fact you’ll always have a payment (and potentially miles could be an issue); the vehicle is more or less under warranty, some will include maintenance plans, and you’ll always upgrade every few years for newer tech enhancements - just look cell phones.

I’m keeping the Jeep (especially with as much I’ve done to it), but I’m starting to debate the next vehicle and whether it should be a lease or not…

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
This is why leasing is starting to become a more popular option. Despite the fact you’ll always have a payment (and potentially miles could be an issue); the vehicle is more or less under warranty, some will include maintenance plans, and you’ll always upgrade every few years for newer tech enhancements - just look cell phones.

I’m keeping the Jeep (especially with as much I’ve done to it), but I’m starting to debate the next vehicle and whether it should be a lease or not…
I'm sure that is a contributing factor but I can see a day when it's the only realistic option for the majority of people. It may even get to be like cable TV with a fixed monthly rate and no end date. If something breaks they just swap it out for you...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
That is the "Subscription" , Own Nothing and Be Happy

Asset light, cash flow heavy seems to be the direction that the corporations would like to push.

Remember folks, wealth is what you keep, not what you earn.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Its like living in an apartment. You pay $1500 a month, and don't have small intermittent repair bills. After 20 years of this, you will have spent $336,000 dollars, and you own nothing.
If you lease a car for $500 a month, after 20 years, you still own nothing, and will have paid $120,000 for this option of a never ending warranty. That is 3 vehicles you could have paid off at $40,000 each.
It is called fiscal responsibility, and equity. Look to the future, don't live for the present.
Sponsored