First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR 3.6L 6-Speed
Occupation
Web Developer
I bought the ARB under seat mount kit from Innovative JK Products and am sort of flustered by the instructions (or lack of). The instructions say to run the wiring harness up through the drain plug in the floor. That seems like a really bad idea as my floor mat will no longer sit flat and there won't be a seal anymore to keep water out.

Has anyone done that method and had it work well? Has anyone run the harness out the passenger side firewall grommet?
Sponsored

Oversized

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For fusion
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the ARB under seat mount kit from Innovative JK Products and am sort of flustered by the instructions (or lack of). The instructions say to run the wiring harness up through the drain plug in the floor. That seems like a really bad idea as my floor mat will no longer sit flat and there won't be a seal anymore to keep water out.

Has anyone done that method and had it work well? Has anyone run the harness out the passenger side firewall grommet?

I did this mount. I just cut a hole in the side of the drain plug and fished the wire through. I have the Mopar Mats so you can't tell wires are underneath. Unfortunately it wont make it easy to take the drain plug out but so far I haven't needed to.

OP
OP
MUD-H2O

MUD-H2O

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Web Developer
I did this mount. I just cut a hole in the side of the drain plug and fished the wire through. I have the Mopar Mats so you can't tell wires are underneath. Unfortunately it wont make it easy to take the drain plug out but so far I haven't needed to.
If I can't figure out a way to run it through the firewall grommet, I think I may just drill a new hole in the floor pan, instead of using the drain hole.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
How did you make out? I just got mine installed and went through the firewall

OP
OP
MUD-H2O

MUD-H2O

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Web Developer
How did you make out? I just got mine installed and went through the firewall
I have not gotten it figured out yet. I tried going through the firewall grommet on the passenger side with no luck. Is there a trick to getting through there? Did you cut a new hole or wedge it into where the existing cable bundle goes through?

Sponsored

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have not gotten it figured out yet. I tried going through the firewall grommet on the passenger side with no luck. Is there a trick to getting through there? Did you cut a new hole or wedge it into where the existing cable bundle goes through?
So right under that thick wire harness I made a little slit. Then I tapped up the wires to a metal coat hanger I that I cut. Cut a point on the end and pulled it through. It’s a pain but but it works.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
I'm dealing with this issue now. Going through the drain plug in the floor is a bad idea IMHO as this perforates the water tight integrity of the lowest part of the body...

The mount itself is GREAT, but that wiring routing they suggest is clearly a shortcut based on limitations in the ARB wiring harness. It's not long enough to route through the OEM firewall plug on the drivers side (the one you can see and get to, everything on the passenger side is buried behind the glove box and I'm not digging into that for this).

My solution is I'm going to extend the ARB harness so that ALL of my aftermarket wiring, which at this point will be my sPOD HD control panel cable and this ARB compressor harness, will go through ONE point in the firewall. Sealed properly and as high as possible to avoid future ingress of moisture.

OP
OP
MUD-H2O

MUD-H2O

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Web Developer
I'm dealing with this issue now. Going through the drain plug in the floor is a bad idea IMHO as this perforates the water tight integrity of the lowest part of the body...
This is exactly why I didn't follow through with the instructions and came here for some real world expertise. I plan to try the passenger firewall grommet again this weekend.

American Adventurist

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 StingGray JLUR
Gathering tools and materials. By extending 10 gauge power and 8 gauge ground wires, I won’t have to compromise on routing the harness. I’ll use heat shrink to cover the splices, and armor the whole thing with split loom mesh. I’ve already removed the plug and marked the wires as that end is where I’ll splice in at, keeping the connectors for the plug and adding them after the spliced in extension.

If you do this, make sure you put those 40 amp fuses AT the battery end, not the compressor.

3975F5B6-0B16-4FA9-80E3-E5BB1D429A1F.jpeg

vsayler

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
I had someone install mine for me and it works great. I am very pleased.
Van Sayler
2019 JLUR

Sponsored

CO_Mojito

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Turbo Mojito
Occupation
IT Enterprise Systems Architect
Vehicle Showcase
Gathering tools and materials. By extending 10 gauge power and 8 gauge ground wires, I won’t have to compromise on routing the harness. I’ll use heat shrink to cover the splices, and armor the whole thing with split loom mesh. I’ve already removed the plug and marked the wires as that end is where I’ll splice in at, keeping the connectors for the plug and adding them after the spliced in extension.

If you do this, make sure you put those 40 amp fuses AT the battery end, not the compressor.

3975F5B6-0B16-4FA9-80E3-E5BB1D429A1F.jpeg

I don't have one yet to look at the harness, but I am assuming your cutting just before the fuse and extending the harness from there?

wrangler-rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I followed the instructions, my modifications were as follows:

Trimmed the underside of my mat to accommodate the cable harness
Leverage door insulation strips cut to size to form a seal around the cable without too much stress eventually severing or pinching excessively (introducing impedance & heat) to the cable under use. I did this both on the tub underneath the cable and then under the mat plug to form a seal around.
when NOT fording, I trimmed an outdoor sports tile to size to place around the drain plug to ensure my wife and kids aren't stepping directly on the cable for fear of the above

Now is this a perfect seal? NOPE but neither are the factory mat plugs and rubber plug atop it.
In the photo below both sides had the slightest amount of water but dried in a day and the ARB still functions 100%

If I had taken on more water in the below I might opt for a silicon bead, but candidly do not feel it warranted

photos below of all described above, hope these help others for ideas:

pic4.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic5.jpg

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
No no no there is another drain plug under the seat, use that one add a little silicon

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Nice that someone has finally figured this out. My last ARB install was under the hood so noise wasn't a factor. How is the noise in the cabin while airing up.

We have the aux switches so will just wire to under the dash.

Also, did any of you get the 4 tire inflate kit with your systems? If so, happy with it? At first glance am not happy with having to open both doors to inflate the tires but then again, with an interior mount, will have to open doors anyways.

TIA

wrangler-rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Nice that someone has finally figured this out. My last ARB install was under the hood so noise wasn't a factor. How is the noise in the cabin while airing up.

We have the aux switches so will just wire to under the dash.

Also, did any of you get the 4 tire inflate kit with your systems? If so, happy with it? At first glance am not happy with having to open both doors to inflate the tires but then again, with an interior mount, will have to open doors anyways.

TIA
I did go with the 4 tire air up, this time of the year open doors don’t bother me as I am either tube door or doorless. Even with doors on though, door stops on the JL make it a non issue. Might be different if they were just shaking in the wind. The system naturally equalizes amongst all 4 tires which is really cool for going up and down. Finally regarding noise, perhaps not completely deafening however would definitely becomes so after some time, I’d recommend getting out and socializing with folks while it is running as it is pretty loud. Now again, this time of the year I have my bestop trektop on which Allows for sound to just escape but I’d still have my passengers get out just in case. I just pop my head in every min or so to see what TPMS is registering to monitor pressure. Now TPMS seems to work best for all while in rotational motion however I find that at minimal two sensors will seem to pickup the change and I use those as my gauge for where all 4’are at (again equalization) and after driving a very small bit the other sensors “catch up” and I see pressure for all. PROS: great use of space, convenience is stellar, build quality of hose kit is solid, installation of mount is easy peasy. CONS: expensive (especially ARB), Power harness install is a pain as ARB harness is about an inch or 2 short for this mount, (can be made to work as I have without splicing but it ain’t easy,). Floor plug install requires “something” to keep it from becoming an issue later I suspect, rear OEM floor mat requires either trimming OR should be bent upward to protect the filters from being kicked to shreds by kids. IE it is tight underneath and rear passenger will toe poke the compressor if you don’t have something there. The OEM floor mat is good and creates a channel of sorts for air to pass in from right and left of intake manifold/filters and can be easily pulled back a bit further when in use to open up airflow further. WRT my floor plug comment above - that is if you install through passenger front footwell plug as I did because of harness cable length.
Sponsored