First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Beside the obvious difference in cost. Which option would you go with and why? Also, I know something like the ARB is just for recovery or replacing a tire and not for repairs, while a bottle jack can be used for actual reapirs. Does anyone know if I ended purchasing the ARB where the mounting points of recomendation would be on a Rubicon's steel bumpers?

I’ll be ordering a bottle jack soon to replace my OE scissor jack. If I were to go serious off roading I’d get meself one of those hi lift jacks (more for recovery than anything else as I simply don’t trust them doing repairs) as well as a bottle jack (to do repairs).

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I bought two individual pieces from safe jack and the 6 ton husky jack from Home Depot.

Fits my needs perfectly for <$100 vs $250+ for safe jacks kits.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

$1,000 for the jack and the base? Wow, they are proud of this. I think I will stick with my super dangerous Hi-lift that when operated correctly, is very safe and can be used as a come-along or weapon against Zombies. Zombies would laugh at the ARB Jack and bite the shit out of you for spending that much.

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
Funny enough I was just looking the ARB Jack and the reviews. I have been given actual lessons on my hi lift and I’m still scared of that damn thing. However I crushed a wheel on John Bull last year and tried to repair in some very soft dirt. My bottle Jack wouldn’t get high enough even with the extension. Unfortunately the reviews on the ARB are pretty bad with the handle breaking off in many of them. So a bottle Jack and recovery boards it is!

Sponsored

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
It doesn't seem like a good comparison. You can't get the ARB under your axle, which is the safest way to lift if you're changing a tire.

Before I got my Jeep I assumed I'd need to get a HiLift. After having had my Jeep for a couple of months I have decided I really don't need one at all for the things I am doing. I would, however, like to get a US Jack.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Sad to hear about the quality issues with the ARB. Do you all bring a impact drill with you for quickly release the wheel lugs?

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
Do you all bring a impact drill with you for quickly release the wheel lugs?
That would be slick, but for me I'm sure the battery would be dead when I really needed it. I do, however, carry a breaker bar with the appropriately sized socket for my wheel lugs. I have always hated those stock lug wrenches.

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
interesting thread. I was considering a floor jack for the garage and a bottle jack for off-road repair, but now i am wondering if the bottle jack would just do it (with jack stands to work in the garage) and not get the floor jack at all? safe jack have definitely jacked up their prices

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
That would be slick, but for me I'm sure the battery would be dead when I really needed it. I do, however, carry a breaker bar with the appropriately sized socket for my wheel lugs. I have always hated those stock lug wrenches.
I bring a drill anyways to level my Turtleback and the Dewalt batteries are interchable so it would work for me. I think I would want the kit listed below as well in case all my spare betteries were dead. Agreed on the stock lug wrenches.
interesting thread. I was considering a floor jack for the garage and a bottle jack for off-road repair, but now i am wondering if the bottle jack would just do it (with jack stands to work in the garage) and not get the floor jack at all? safe jack have definitely jacked up their prices
Yeah I don't hear it talked about too much. Plugging a tire is brought up but not always the other ways of quickly swapping out a tire with the spare. Yeah, I think a bottle jack with jack stands should be sufficient. Let me know what you choose.
I have an impact drill, but prefer carrying a tire change kit that i bought from HD - https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...h-Tire-Change-Kit-8-Piece-DWMT82839/314629459
has everything i need to change tires and torque. just need a bottle jack to pair it with
Great find! Nice kit, I am going to pick one up. Thanks!

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
IMO a quality bottle jack/case and a good jack base (2x4 or 4x4 depending on your vehicle height) will be plenty. Save the ARB Jack $$$ for other mods.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
IMO a quality bottle jack/case and a good jack base (2x4 or 4x4 depending on your vehicle height) will be plenty. Save the ARB Jack $$$ for other mods.
Exactly what I am going to do :)

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
That ARB jack is a solution in search of a problem. A hi-lift will do everything that the ARB will and more, for much less coin. Plus it’ll never puke hydraulic fluid all over the place.

I’d invest in a decent bottle jack. One that works vertically AND horizontally. Some of the cheap ones will only work standing up, which won’t help if you need to move something sideways. It’d be even better if you could build or buy an adapter to saddle axle tubes and/frames for more stability.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I keep a Tekton 1/2" drive 25-250 ft/lb torque wrench in my cargo area at all times, along with the socket and center cap removal tools.

As far as jacks, I prefer bottle jack with an integrated threaded extension in the ram that is designed to be used both vertically and horizontally. I've found them to store better lying on their side. A short piece of creosote-treated railroad tie can be used as a spacer in situations where jacking under the frame is preferred. Both of those would still take up less space than the ARB hydraulic jack, while costing a fraction and offering more capabilities.
Sponsored