ARB fridge 37 or 50 quart in JLU

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
As others have noted, the 37qt fits just fine on either side, and it's primarily due to the overall height of the unit versus the slant of the seat backs. The 50qt has the same outline size, but is taller so the angled seat back works against you there. Regardless, I mounted my fridge on the passenger side so that I could make better use of the storage space while utilizing the 12V power port, which they relocated to the driver side for some reason?? Just works better for me.

XsRq5vX.jpg
how or where do you connected yours? I don't see it plugged to the rear 12V - Or was it not powered n this picture?
Sponsored

RMC2

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 JKUR waiting on an 18 JLUR
Th
I started with a cheap Harbor Freight cargo rack, cut it down to fit between the rollbar, and welded it back together. Made some simple spanners that engage the hard top mounting bolts out of some light gauge 1-1/4" box tube I had on the rack, and slapped some black paint on it. Easy-peasy. :like:

PVLdqud.jpg

8nNthaX.jpg
is is an awesome idea. I would have to go taller because I have the 50. But I have been stuck on a basket idea.

As the photos from Heavymetal show, the ARB 50 does fit on the drivers side. You can pinch it with the tailgate or move it over slightly or at a slight angle. Iā€™m seriously thinking of going drivers side. Plenty of room passenger side. A little more than the JKU.

As far as electrical goes, I wouldnā€™t run the fridge off the factory 12v. The wires arenā€™t big enough and you loose a lot of efficiency due to heat. Yes, it will work, but spend the $40 and get the ARB receptacle and heavy gauge wire and run direct to the battery.

HeavyMetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4dr Rubicon
Th

is is an awesome idea. I would have to go taller because I have the 50. But I have been stuck on a basket idea.

As the photos from Heavymetal show, the ARB 50 does fit on the drivers side. You can pinch it with the tailgate or move it over slightly or at a slight angle. Iā€™m seriously thinking of going drivers side. As far as electrical goes, I wouldnā€™t run the fridge off the factory 12v. The wires arenā€™t big enough and you loose a lot of efficiency due to heat. Yes, it will work, but spend the $40 and get the ARB receptacle and heavy gauge wire and run direct to the battery.
I have left my 50qt in our JK for weeks at a time for a couple years now just doing its thing on the factory 12v port, and now same with my JL...doesnt seem to be a big concern or issue.

RMC2

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 JKUR waiting on an 18 JLUR
I have left my 50qt in our JK for weeks at a time for a couple years now just doing its thing on the factory 12v port, and now same with my JL...doesnt seem to be a big concern or issue.
Thanks, Good to know.

Overheated wires scare me. The size of the JK wires are small. Not sure if they upgraded the JL. I read that the compressor is more efficient on proper sized wires as well.

I am going to use your cargo rack idea (already have one in the garage) and the plywood floor. Iā€™m going to carpet the plywood and cut it in half. That way I can access the cubby with the fridge in. Did you pull the factory lid? That will be part of my plan. Then I can swap back and forth.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
I want to take a sec and thank everyone who posted info to this thread - it's hugely appreciated on my end.

First Jeep; setting up (slowly) for an expedition-style config. I've done a number of smaller things, including a Vector GBB in the back, with the intent (until now) of putting an ARB-50 on a slide in the back on the driver's side. The reason for the driver's side is a couple things - one being I prefer the fridge there for cooking on a tailgate-table, but the larger reason is if sleeping in the Jeep I want to sleep on the passenger side (the "60" of the 60/40 seat is that side).

so from the above, if the ARB is shifted about (eyeball-math) 2" toward center, it fits and clears the door-bump (but not by much). if a slide is installed, which raises it higher (contending with the back seat) it might shift even more back.

guess it's time to look at other fridges - I know other models (mentioned in this thread) make some comparable ones.

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
guess it's time to look at other fridges - I know other models (mentioned in this thread) make some comparable ones.
@RisingEagle Your situation is almost identical to mine: 1st Jeep, Vector GGB installed, Trailgater tailgate table caused me to look at driver side options for fridge. I went with a Dometic CFX 50W - mainly because the ARB looked like it was going to be a tight fit. DFG Offroad fridge slide is en route to me. Iā€™ll be sure to post up some pics when itā€™s all installed. Likely next weekend.

Last edited:

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
how does the Dometic fit in there? without the slide I mean? I'll be very interested in the pics - appreciate it

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
how does the Dometic fit in there? without the slide I mean? I'll be very interested in the pics - appreciate it
Dometic fits well. Itā€™s longer and wider than the ARB, but not as tall. The height is an issue in the JL, as the rear seats have more of an angle than the JK, so the taller the fridge, the more it pushes the base (or the slide) toward the tailgate. Then when you factor in the height of the fridge slide, it pushes it toward tailgate even farther - then when you factor in the front of the slide that extends beyond the base footprint of the fridge, itā€™s going to be tight. Here are dimensions for both:

ARB 50 Dimensions: H20'' x W27.76" x D14.96"
Dometic CFX50W Dimensions: H18.5" x W28.5" x D17.9"

Right now, my Dometic is just strapped in the center of cargo area - turned sideways until the slide arrives. Based on my measurements, itā€™s going to be a very tight fit. Iā€™ll need to be far enough from the drivers side to clear the protrusion on the tailgate, but not so far toward the passenger side that the slide gets in the way of the tailgate table when itā€™s in the down position. HOPING it will work, but the real test comes when I get the slide.

Within the week, Iā€™ll post some pics of it in both directions - first on cargo floor, then on fridge slide.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Took some pics with the Dometic CFX-50W on the DFG slide, with Trailgater table installed. I just wanted to confirm all clearances before nailing it all down. I had to keep a good distance from the driver side because of the length of the slide, but if you donā€™t have a slide, youā€™ll be able to cheat it closer to the driver side for sure - which will give you more open cargo space on passenger side.

Also, the Vector GGB cargo basket is at its highest position. I can drop it down 1ā€ or 2ā€ from where itā€™s currently at. Iā€™ve got some Rotopax containers that will mount underneath - so not sure which height position I want yet.

BF3A2630-2AE4-43FB-B594-049D4C043018.jpeg

Tight clearances at the tailgate. This is with the fridge positioned in the most favorable spot on the slide: Just barely touching the back seats at the rear, and the front of fridge pushed as far forward in the slide tray as it will go:
B9C8564B-A59E-47C2-97BB-CCD791791AC7.jpeg

6C71FAD0-5338-49D8-BC60-ADDE2C0E7371.jpeg

11FB8A15-0DD7-4C55-B497-D9B7B833FA6F.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
A few more pics for your viewing pleasure:

Trailgater table depth when opened, measured from tailgate:
7FF2A92E-5872-419D-A228-9BBBD1187E47.jpeg

Clearance between fridge slide and Trailgater:
8D836658-5B67-4CE0-847B-34D0D325B2A8.jpeg

Roughly 14.5ā€ of remaining storage on passenger side:
7D6B27DE-05CE-4BE7-9977-E841A2E1B0F4.jpeg

Roughly 13ā€ storage at subwoofer:
0C882451-8DD2-4B04-B15C-7C01993EB025.jpeg

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
By the way, the Trailgater table is a work of art. And HEAVY. Wow, I shoulda weighed it. I might need to upgrade the suspension just based on that one mod alone!

I donā€™t know its weight capacity, but this thing is built. It will have no problem with my two-burner stove, and pots of boiling water, etc.

F12CD5CB-813D-4671-A43C-AB0A790DFF85.jpeg

28AA51DB-670F-4C08-827F-63D46CDBFDFE.jpeg

A519BA46-901C-403D-9455-6C17659A7C00.jpeg

35AFCE0E-4D78-4B1D-8578-DF68C4B8A27E.jpeg

Last edited:

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jeeperz Kreeperz thanks much for the details and the pics. I would definitely like more than 12" on the passenger side so I may have to check into other options.

I do like that table you have on there, I can see me getting that

thanks again - definitely appreciated.

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@Jeeperz Kreeperz thanks much for the details and the pics. I would definitely like more than 12" on the passenger side so I may have to check into other options.

I do like that table you have on there, I can see me getting that

thanks again - definitely appreciated.
Youā€™re welcome. I realized I never got a pic of the fridge directly on the carpet - so you can see how much farther you can move it toward driver side. Will get a shot of that for ya - but it probably wonā€™t be until tomorrow morning.

I musta got so ā€˜exslidedā€™ about my shiny new slide that I forgot all about snapping that pic fer ya!!

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@Jeeperz Kreeperz Off topic, but I dig that trailgater. what was the install like?
@stsdroog Install was very easy. Very little mechanical aptitude needed. And you only need two tools: Philips screwdriver, and pair of scissors for cutting the weatherstripping in a couple of spots.

Plastic panel on tailgate pops off with your bare hands in 10 seconds. Entire table comes assembled as you see it. Most time-consuming part is sticking some weatherstripping to the perimeter of the base that mounts to the tailgate. Needs to be cut to fit, and wrapped around some corners/curves. I gave that toughest part of the job to my wife ;)

Install 9 plastic inserts, where the others popped off with the plastic trim and youā€™re ready to mount. Install 9 small philips head screws, and one large philips head screw, and itā€™s time to have a beer :beer:

Probably a 15-minute job - including reading the directions (which you should do). Definitely helps to have a second set of hands when you get to the mounting part. Could be done as a one-man job though. But easier with two!
Sponsored