CDwest7254

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Moab Edition
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 Wrangler JL and just installed an ARB single compressor. I had to extend the wires to the battery because I installed under the seat. The issue I am having is I was able to get the compressor to run 2x for about 2 seconds each time. I have power at the auxiliary connection in the engine compartment but am not getting it at the compressor now. Any ideas on potential causes?
Sponsored

OP
OP
CDwest7254

CDwest7254

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a good solid and reliable ground?
I believe I do...when I get back to the house, I plan on running a hot and ground directly from battery to the compressor just to rule out the compressor. What is the best way to check the ground (electrical is not my forte)?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I believe I do...when I get back to the house, I plan on running a hot and ground directly from battery to the compressor just to rule out the compressor. What is the best way to check the ground (electrical is not my forte)?
With a test light, you'd attach the alligator clip to your current ground point, than touch a known hot spot with the probe. If it lights, the ground is good. If not, it's not grounded.

With a meter, black prove to your current ground point and red on a known hot. If it's a good ground, it'll read battery voltage.

What's your current ground point?

OP
OP
CDwest7254

CDwest7254

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With a test light, you'd attach the alligator clip to your current ground point, than touch a known hot spot with the probe. If it lights, the ground is good. If not, it's not grounded.

With a meter, black prove to your current ground point and red on a known hot. If it's a good ground, it'll read battery voltage.

What's your current ground point?
Current ground point is at the battery ground.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Current ground point is at the battery ground.
Damn, running out of ideas.

Can't imagine it's a fuse because you had it going 2x, but still worth checking it.

I'm no electrical genius myself, but am wondering if it's possible you have the leads reversed? Not sure if it's like an led and polarity sensitive, or if it would briefly make noise trying to run in reverse?

Paging Dr Proton!

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not familiar with the single, but the ARB twin compressor has a pressure switch that turns the compressor off when the air hose builds up pressure. If I just run mine without the inflator hooked up to a tire it stops once the hose fills with air and it gets to like 90 or 100 psi or so. Once the air in the hose is released the compressor kicks back on.
maybe that’s your issue?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
First thing to consider, do you have an air hose hooked up so that air pressure doesn't spike at start up? I don't know which ARB compressor you have but some have an auto shut off switch when you are not actually using air. An air line, and or optional tank, will act as a small reservoir which slows down the auto shut off response time. If you are not actually airing something up, you may be observing normal behavior.

Having said that, the phrase "extend the wires" applied to an installation with a relatively high current power supply, raises all sorts of red flags that you might want to re visit.

-Are the wires an appropriate gauge for the length used?

-Any splices are regrettable, but if you must have splice connections you want to make sure they are not introducing any more resistance than necessary.

-Direct wiring to the battery is preferable, and the switch should be capable of the current draw, including any amperage drawn in excess of the appliance's ratings, which may occur when undue resistance in a wiring scheme causes a drop in nominal voltage.

-Is the AUX switch wiring block rated at a comfortable margin above the rating for this particular compressor?

Good luck getting it figured out!

Last edited:
OP
OP
CDwest7254

CDwest7254

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wha
I’m not familiar with the single, but the ARB twin compressor has a pressure switch that turns the compressor off when the air hose builds up pressure. If I just run mine without the inflator hooked up to a tire it stops once the hose fills with air and it gets to like 90 or 100 psi or so. Once the air in the hose is released the compressor kicks back on.
maybe that’s your issue?
What’s interesting though is when I disconnect the power after it shuts off, there is no power at the connection. It’s almost as if there is a bad connection somewhere, but doesn’t make sense that it will work again after setting for a while

OP
OP
CDwest7254

CDwest7254

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great comments...I will look into these. Appreciate the alternative views
First thing to consider, do you have an air hose hooked up so that air pressure doesn't spike at start up? I don't know which ARB compressor you have but some have an auto shut off switch when you are not actually using air. An air line, and or optional tank, will act as a small reservoir which slows down the auto shut off response time. If you are not actually airing something up, you may be observing normal behavior.

Having said that, the phrase "extend the wires" applied to an installation with a relatively high current power supply, raises all sorts of red flags that you might want to re visit.

-Any splices are regrettable, but if you must have you want to make sure they are not introducing any more resistance than necessary.

-Direct wiring to the battery is preferable, and the switch should be capable of the current draw, including any excess that occurs because of undue resistance in the wiring scheme.

-Is the AUX switch wiring block rated at a comfortable margin above the rating for this particular compressor?

OP
OP
CDwest7254

CDwest7254

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

-Any splices are regrettable, but if you must have you want to make sure they are not introducing any more resistance than necessary.

-Direct wiring to the battery is preferable, and the switch should be capable of the current draw, including any excess that occurs because of undue resistance in the wiring scheme.

Problem solved! Pressure switch...officially have on board air
Sponsored