Sponsored

ARB compressor on/off switch in engine bay, no factory AUX

• Thread starter Deleted member 59098
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Deleted member 59098

I’m installing a new single ARB compressor utilizing the engine cover bracket trick. Is there a way to avoid running wires through the firewall and figuring out a way to mount the ARB switch in the engine bay? I have no factory AUX switches. In the interior I have a splice harness that allows power to my CB. I guess I could run wires from the spice through the firewall out to the engine bay. It would be nice to just power the switch from the fuse box or something and keep the whole mess in the engine bay.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 59098

What I have so far:
FFFAA23D-E3A6-4839-87A3-4B30A3D2ADDF.jpeg

Compressor mounted to engine cover bracket.

B2261345-5135-4448-8685-2B029232560A.jpeg

ARB switch wiring run down firewall and tucked behind heat shielding. Routed through hole in floor of passenger side.

699807E2-9B02-4A79-A98E-AFBDE0D41820.jpeg

Will tap to aftermarket power splice (share with CB).

B98A65FF-213E-4D7F-B786-DB607B0DDF00.jpeg

Rest of wiring pretty clean behind fuse box.
Only concerned about exhaust heat, but the wire is pretty far away and tucked under the heat shielding. Water fording may be a concern with the wire running to floor level, but it’s pretty water proofed.

Need to figure out a place to mount the switch. I guess it’s going inside now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59098

Maybe Jeep engineering had us base model customers in their thoughts for these switches.
2F590A39-E2CB-4621-96E3-2C836E2CF9D2.jpeg

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I recommend you use the wiring and switch that comes with the ARB compressor and mount it somewhere near where your compressor is, or if you relocate the hose connector, put the switch next to it (but somewhere where not just anyone can switch it on).

Those of us who used the factory Aux switches for our on-board compressors have to connect the hose and then go inside the jeep to turn it on and then when we’re done inflating we have to go back inside the jeep to turn it back off.
Plus we still have to use the ARB fuse and relay because the compressor needs much more current than the max 40amp that aux1 and aux2 provide. So it’s kind of redundant having two fuses and two relays in the circuit when you can just use the circuit that comes with the compressor and leave the factory aux circuits alone, especially when all the factory circuit does is activate the ARB relay which then activates the compressor.

So for a compressor, it’s more convenient to have the switch where you will plug in your air hose so you don’t go in and out of the jeep every time to turn it on and off.

As an added bonus, you save the Aux switch for something else.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 59098

Took out center console and drilled a hole in the cubby. Ran switch wires through to glovebox. Had to move the switch to the center of cubby because of a little lip under the window switch obstructs the switch action.
Jeep Wrangler JL ARB compressor on/off switch in engine bay, no factory AUX 0CB82DF6-4CC5-4601-9ADF-D3E5FAD71768

Had to make a Home Depot run for wire and connectors to make the 4 wire line about 2’ longer to run up through the glove box.

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB compressor on/off switch in engine bay, no factory AUX 1A99DE8F-B775-4C61-8DE2-F0289A9DCFD0
Need to put something dark in the cubby to fill the voids, but not really noticeable. The switch fits in there absolutely perfectly top to bottom. Very snug.

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB compressor on/off switch in engine bay, no factory AUX E7D287E2-7771-4BF0-A5BA-ABB27C37CAB0

shit fired right up. I’m waiting on the other inflator kit to finish it off.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59098

I recommend you use the wiring and switch that comes with the ARB compressor and mount it somewhere near where your compressor is, or if you relocate the hose connector, put the switch next to it (but somewhere where not just anyone can switch it on).

Those of us who used the factory Aux switches for our on-board compressors have to connect the hose and then go inside the jeep to turn it on and then when we’re done inflating we have to go back inside the jeep to turn it back off.
Plus we still have to use the ARB fuse and relay because the compressor needs much more current than the max 40amp that aux1 and aux2 provide. So it’s kind of redundant having two fuses and two relays in the circuit when you can just use the circuit that comes with the compressor and leave the factory aux circuits alone, especially when all the factory circuit does is activate the ARB relay which then activates the compressor.

So for a compressor, it’s more convenient to have the switch where you will plug in your air hose so you don’t go in and out of the jeep every time to turn it on and off.

As an added bonus, you save the Aux switch for something else.
I originally wanted the switch outside, but the wiring and tap made that kind of a pain. I’m happy with the cubby switch outcome. I think with a tiny bit of dremel touch up on the top of these switches, you can easy fit 3 or maybe 4 in the cubby.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
On a prior jeep I installed my compressor switch inside and it was a pain. Ever since I always mount the switch near the port for connecting the hose. It is much more convenient to have the switch right there where you connect/disconnect your air hose.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59098

On a prior jeep I installed my compressor switch inside and it was a pain. Ever since I always mount the switch near the port for connecting the hose. It is much more convenient to have the switch right there where you connect/disconnect your air hose.
I’m going to run the coupler to the bumper anyway. I think the inside switch is fine. I can reach it without jumping in the seat.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I’m going to run the coupler to the bumper anyway. I think the inside switch is fine. I can reach it without jumping in the seat.
I could reach mine without getting into the jeep on my jeep too. But when you are already holding the air tools/hose(s) you could just turn it off and let the air of the line while you're there. If not where the coupler is, then you set the stuff down walk over, open the door to turn the compressor off, walk back and then do your disconnecting. Or you do relatively the same for connecting ready to use the compressor. While it isn't that much time, it feels poorly thought out and unnecessary steps to do this. I ended up moving that jeep's switch to the engine bay where my compressor and hose connector were. Made it feel much smoother for airing up.
Sponsored