Sponsored

ARB awning and room installed on JLUR - Better than a RTT?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Sold my M416 RTT expedition trailer because I was not using it enough for it to warrant a space in the garage. We have a full size camper that we tow behind my SRT for longer trips, but wanted something for quick weekend getaways. We had two ARB awnings on the RTT, one with the older version of the add a room that the kids slept in. Figured I would give that a shot on the JLUR...

Fairly easy set up, found some Thule Aero cross bars on craigslist and bought the lock set for them off of Amazon. While on Amazon I found some bolts with square heads that slide into the top channel of the cross bars. Had a couple of the old thick ARB angle mounts laying around that I spray painted black. They attached perfectly to the cross bars. Snugged them up tight to the body of the Jeep and threw on our cargo box on top. Still plenty of room for a couple of bikes or kayaks.

This is a cheap alternative to a RTT. I have had both, the only advantage to the RTT was the view and you were off the ground. This is bigger, sets up quicker (than most RTT's), 1/3 the price, allows me to use the roof for the cargo box or storage, does not effect the ride/top heavy, and I don't have to climb a ladder to get in. Plus I can take the entire thing off the Jeep by myself in minutes for storage. Although it is nice having it on there for using the shade on day trips. Just my opinion after owning both.

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB awning and room installed on JLUR - Better than a RTT? IMG_2427[1].JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB awning and room installed on JLUR - Better than a RTT? IMG_2428.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB awning and room installed on JLUR - Better than a RTT? IMG_2432.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB awning and room installed on JLUR - Better than a RTT? IMG_2430.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB awning and room installed on JLUR - Better than a RTT? IMG_2429.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB awning and room installed on JLUR - Better than a RTT? IMG_2434.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB awning and room installed on JLUR - Better than a RTT? IMG_2431.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB awning and room installed on JLUR - Better than a RTT? IMG_2098.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB awning and room installed on JLUR - Better than a RTT? IMG_3858.JPG

IMG_2427[1].JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great, how much does the awning weigh?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Great idea, it could also freestand if you wanted to use the Jeep too. Does it have a ridge pole so no ponding in heavy rain ?

thejljourney

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL rubicon
It’s great till it rains... I tried the deluxe room as a tent before going for the ikamper. It worked well in dry weather but the zips allow a lot of water in.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Sold my M416 RTT expedition trailer because I was not using it enough for it to warrant a space in the garage. We have a full size camper that we tow behind my SRT for longer trips, but wanted something for quick weekend getaways. We had two ARB awnings on the RTT, one with the older version of the add a room that the kids slept in. Figured I would give that a shot on the JLUR...

Fairly easy set up, found some Thule Aero cross bars on craigslist and bought the lock set for them off of Amazon. While on Amazon I found some bolts with square heads that slide into the top channel of the cross bars. Had a couple of the old thick ARB angle mounts laying around that I spray painted black. They attached perfectly to the cross bars. Snugged them up tight to the body of the Jeep and threw on our cargo box on top. Still plenty of room for a couple of bikes or kayaks.

This is a cheap alternative to a RTT. I have had both, the only advantage to the RTT was the view and you were off the ground. This is bigger, sets up quicker (than most RTT's), 1/3 the price, allows me to use the roof for the cargo box or storage, does not effect the ride/top heavy, and I don't have to climb a ladder to get in. Plus I can take the entire thing off the Jeep by myself in minutes for storage. Although it is nice having it on there for using the shade on day trips. Just my opinion after owning both.

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB awning and room installed on JLUR - Better than a RTT? IMG_2427[1].JPG

Is that the 6 or 8 feet awning?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

It’s great till it rains... I tried the deluxe room as a tent before going for the ikamper. It worked well in dry weather but the zips allow a lot of water in.
We don't get a ton of rain here in Colorado. Most of our trips lately have been to Moab, Rubicon Trail, AZ and other fairly dry areas. The few times we had rain with my old setup, I just lowered one end of the pole and let the rain run off. I can imagine with a downpour and side wind that the room could get wet through the zippers. The newer model we have seems to have done a better job with that. I will put out an update if we ever get caught in the rain! Most of the time we plan our weekend trips on short notice and around the weather. If it is really going to be bad, I drive the GC with our trailer and my wife follows with the Jeep.

IMG_0560[1].JPG

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Is that the 6 or 8 feet awning?
6'6" The 8' one needs three attachment points and was a bit longer than the Jeep. You would have to have one attachment point across the freedom panels to make it work and I wanted to be able to still take them off.

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Great idea, it could also freestand if you wanted to use the Jeep too. Does it have a ridge pole so no ponding in heavy rain ?
It would be difficult to freestand. I am guessing you could do it somehow with a few extra poles. The Jeep is the anchor point to keep it from swaying. It does not have a center ridge pole. The few times I have had it in the rain, I just lower one end and the water will follow gravity to that corner.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I figured 2 more vertical poles, and tent pegs/ line. Quick Disconnects on the ends of the roof racks. Thanks for sharing this, it's a great option

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I figured 2 more vertical poles, and tent pegs/ line. Quick Disconnects on the ends of the roof racks. Thanks for sharing this, it's a great option
Yes, if you were in a place that you could stake it out it could work freestanding with additional poles. Would also work under one of those quick pop up shade things. ARB makes quick disconnects for the awning.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I have a new never used ARB 8ftx8ft aluminum encased awning for sale. Box is still closed.
PM if interested.

MILT

First Name
Milt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Honda technician
I’ve wondered if you could add a stove jack to the awning and use a small wood stove inside

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I did this same thing a while back and love it. The only time it's been a pain is when I can't find a big enough space to set up while off grid. Pretty rare, but smaller sites sometimes make deployment of the room a chore.

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Two completely different things IMO. Cool awning but a RTT serves a completely different purpose with different pros... and perhaps cons
Sponsored