Sponsored

ARB Air Hose Coupling Does Not Hold Hose?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the ARB pump up kit which contains the ARB coupling. I can easily pull the ARB hose out of it versus when I connect the ARB hose into itself, the hose cannot be pulled out of the end.

I have to assume this is not proper operation for this as the hose will likely blow off during use. Anyone else have this issue?

51by5-HuabL._AC_SL1000_[1].jpg
Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I bought the ARB pump up kit which contains the ARB coupling. I can easily pull the ARB hose out of it versus when I connect the ARB hose into itself, the hose cannot be pulled out of the end.

I have to assume this is not proper operation for this as the hose will likely blow off during use. Anyone else have this issue?

Jeep Wrangler JL ARB Air Hose Coupling Does Not Hold Hose? 51by5-HuabL._AC_SL1000_[1]
what you're saying doesn't make sense to me. I'm guessing the terms you're using are painting a different picture to me than you're intending. Can you post up pictures of what you have and what is pulling out of what to make sure you've got the right stuff. Video would work too.

I'm hoping you have an ARB hose w/ a fitting on the end and trying to connect that to the coupler (rubber part). The coupler has an easy release mechanism and if you're holding it in your hand it might release easily (accidentally) when you're trying to test things.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
what you're saying doesn't make sense to me. I'm guessing the terms you're using are painting a different picture to me than you're intending. Can you post up pictures of what you have and what is pulling out of what to make sure you've got the right stuff. Video would work too.

I'm hoping you have an ARB hose w/ a fitting on the end and trying to connect that to the coupler (rubber part). The coupler has an easy release mechanism and if you're holding it in your hand it might release easily (accidentally) when you're trying to test things.
I am connecting the ARB hose into the ARB fitting that I posted. Once done, I can pull it out with minimal resistance.

If I take the same ARB hose and connect it to itself (male to female), I cannot pull the hose out of itself. This leads me to assume the ARB fitting is defective because it will not hold the hose securely.

So I wanted to confirm what others have experienced with this fitting before I send the whole kit back for a replacement.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I am connecting the ARB hose into the ARB fitting that I posted. Once done, I can pull it out with minimal resistance.

If I take the same ARB hose and connect it to itself (male to female), I cannot pull the hose out of itself. This leads me to assume the ARB fitting is defective because it will not hold the hose securely.

So I wanted to confirm what others have experienced with this fitting before I send the whole kit back for a replacement.
I have no clue how you're holding the fitting, this is one reason I asked if you have pics to make sure you're not creating the problem. If you're holding the black rubber it is designed to release with minimal effort by the user. If you're holding the coupler (black rubber part) by the threads and not the rubber, then it shouldn't release w/o sliding the rubber down towards the threads. Or you might be holding it in a way that won't let it latch so it is never locking to the fitting on the hose.

Those ARB couplers are super nice and very easy to connect and disconnect when you want them to, but stay secure when connected right.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have no clue how you're holding the fitting, this is one reason I asked if you have pics to make sure you're not creating the problem. If you're holding the black rubber it is designed to release with minimal effort by the user. If you're holding the coupler (black rubber part) by the threads and not the rubber, then it shouldn't release w/o sliding the rubber down towards the threads. Or you might be holding it in a way that won't let it latch so it is never locking to the fitting on the hose.

Those ARB couplers are super nice and very easy to connect and disconnect when you want them to, but stay secure when connected right.
The coupling is mounted so I am not touching it when trying to pull the hose out. No matter, sounds like I have a defective one and already processed an exchange with Amazon.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BruceA78

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 6-Speed
I wasn't too impressed with the arb hose coupling, mine started leaking after the 2nd or 3rd use, granted it was mounted on the bumper in the elements. After about 5 months the black part was deteriorating and the spring mechanism was bound up so I could no longer attach anything to it. Probably should have bought their "dust cover" but not sure how much that would help.

I went to my local Tomkins industries and bought a coupler from them with a rubber boot meant to cover a hydraulic coupling to keep it protected from the elements so I am hoping it will fare better.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't too impressed with the arb hose coupling, mine started leaking after the 2nd or 3rd use, granted it was mounted on the bumper in the elements. After about 5 months the black part was deteriorating and the spring mechanism was bound up so I could no longer attach anything to it. Probably should have bought their "dust cover" but not sure how much that would help.

I went to my local Tomkins industries and bought a coupler from them with a rubber boot meant to cover a hydraulic coupling to keep it protected from the elements so I am hoping it will fare better.
Although mine is under the hood, that does not sound very promising from a longevity point of view. The ARB hose is pretty nice, so I'll have to decide if it's worth it or not.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel

like you said you didn't use a dust cap. If you have a QR coupler exposed to the elements they're going to get ruined no matter how nice they are. If you are mudding and doing that kind of offroading they will have an even shorter life. I do water crossings, lost of dusty trails (see profile pic) and live in the PNW and have no issues with ARB coupler w/ a ARB dust cap exposed for connections at wheels. I do not have them in my wheel wells, that is not a good place. Most couplers are normally closed when disconnected from a QR male fitting, and I don't recommend having something that mimics a QR male fitting as a plug because it will allow stuff to get into your air line if anything gets around the plug. QR couplers use bearings to function, bearings don't like grit and grim... so keep that stuff out of them and the coupler will last.
Sponsored