Sponsored

Applying Mopar Decals to the JL hood

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Does anyone have experience applying the hood decals that Mopar makes to their JL? Wanted an Islander back in 2019 but was not an option. Got a pair of 2021 Islander hood decals that I'd like to put on our JL 2-door, just wondering if there is a process I should follow to make them last as long as possible?

Jeep Wrangler JL Applying Mopar Decals to the JL hood Islander

Thanks for any input.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Does anyone have experience applying the hood decals that Mopar makes to their JL? Wanted an Islander back in 2019 but was not an option. Got a pair of 2021 Islander hood decals that I'd like to put on our JL 2-door, just wondering if there is a process I should follow to make them last as long as possible?

Thanks for any input.

Best,
-Tim
id watch a few videos on youtube on how to apply decals using the 'wet method'. it makes it so that you dont have any bubbles in the decals once applied. definitely takes some patience but thats probably the best way to do it, its easy to do!

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

Thanks for any input.

Best,
-Tim
@conFUcius

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Yes the wet method is what I use as well. Not very difficult to do just ensure the surface is exceptionally clean and there aren't any bubbles in your prep spray, this will ease the application process for a smooth finish.

OP
OP
Timmyjoe

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Thanks for the replies.

Is it recommended to wax the surface and polish it out before applying the decal, or should I use a grease and wax remover before applying the decal?

Best,
-Tim

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Clean the hood with Rapid Tac (Rapid Tac II Application Fluid for Vinyl Wraps Decals Stickers 32oz Sprayer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RUGPVU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_P05W2AFAZNRA78ZC3RA3). Spray more Rapid Tac on and keep the hood moist to move the decal around and position it where you want it to be. Use a squeegee (I used an old credit card) to push the fluid out get the bubbles out from underneath the hood decal.

Jeep Wrangler JL Applying Mopar Decals to the JL hood 3D02EF85-FAD7-47A5-B930-2C4BC91B561E

Jeep Wrangler JL Applying Mopar Decals to the JL hood 23A7EDAB-933E-46C6-B375-E510C02E1491

Jeep Wrangler JL Applying Mopar Decals to the JL hood 8B27AAB1-12F8-480D-9F87-E186FF4EF126

Unless your hood decal has cut outs for the nozzles, you’ll want to remove them first, then cut a small slit to push them through after your decal has set/cured. Go ahead and buy some extra clips along with a replacement hood insulation liner. It’ll disintegrate and get mauled when you take it off to access the nozzles. Also a good time to add under hood lighting and/or Redline gas hood struts while the liner is out.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
Thanks for the replies.

Is it recommended to wax the surface and polish it out before applying the decal, or should I use a grease and wax remover before applying the decal?

Best,
-Tim
definitely dont wax it, it wont stick well with wax on. polishing is a good idea tho because youll never be able to polish that area again with the decal on it. i just use isopropyl alcohol to prep the surface then a mix of a very little bit of J&J baby shampoo and distilled water for the application spray.