ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently my Jeep, Uconnect, and Apple Maps must all be communicating and it's freaking me out. I was on my way home from work last night and the low fuel warning light came on in the dash. A few minutes later I get a notification on my iphone via Apple Maps stating "Low Fuel - Find a Station". If you touch the notification it launches Apple Maps and wants to route you to a gas station.
WTH is that about? What kind of black magic is going on here that my iphone knows I'm low on gas. This was not through CarPlay. There was no physical USB connection between the iphone and the Uconnect system; just connected via Bluetooth.
Caught me by surprise so I thought I'd share.

5FEE7A0C-653C-40CC-AA7C-3BD1EA09F2FE.png
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently my Jeep, Uconnect, and Apple Maps must all be communicating and it's freaking me out. I was on my way home from work last night and the low fuel warning light came on in the dash. A few minutes later I get a notification on my iphone via Apple Maps stating "Low Fuel - Find a Station". If you touch the notification it launches Apple Maps and wants to route you to a gas station.
WTH is that about? What kind of black magic is going on here that my iphone knows I'm low on gas. This was not through CarPlay. There was no physical USB connection between the iphone and the Uconnect system; just connected via Bluetooth.

Do you have the Jeep Wave app? That's probably how its getting info on your Jeep. It looks like you've got just about everything else tied to your phone, even your garage door, so why not the Jeep?

OP
OP
ExitLeft

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the Jeep Wave app? That's probably how its getting info on your Jeep. It looks like you've got just about everything else tied to your phone, even your garage door, so why not the Jeep?
Didn't know there was a Jeep Wave app, so no. But I do have the Uconnect app installed that you can use to remote start with. It also gives vehicle health updates and a bunch of other things so I'm guessing this app pulled the health report and then told the Apple Maps app. Crazy. such wizardry.

...and who doesn't want to know when their garage door opens??

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't know there was a Jeep Wave app, so no. But I do have the Uconnect app installed that you can use to remote start with. It also gives vehicle health updates and a bunch of other things so I'm guessing this app pulled the health report and then told the Apple Maps app. Crazy. such wizardry.

...and who doesn't want to know when their garage door opens??
That'll be the App. I don't have the 8.4 but I do know there was an app in there somewhere. they talk to each other a lot and sometimes it gets creepy when is suggests destinations.

Sponsored

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday, my buddy and I went to pick up the soft top for my JL using his Gladiator since it wouldn't fit in my JL. He pops open a storage area under the back seats for tie downs I thought was really cool as I hadn't seen it before. I mentioned it was cool and he thought maybe mine had one which it doesn't of course but it was a pretty quick conversation. This morning, flicking through IG I get a Jeep advertisement showing Gladiator back seat storage I shit you not. At this point I am like oh hell no, screenshot it and text to my buddy about these damn phones listening to everything (iPhone XS Max here to hell with Google and their snooping). Short of my old S8+ recording in the middle of the night with Bixby when it was disabled the one last night was one of the worst. Of course this isn't the only instance by its annoying. I have never even so much as mentioned via phone anything Gladiator let a lone the storage compartment in one I had no idea existed until last night and that was verbal. No way that was coincidence.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Big brother is watching all!

Our jeeps are quietly watching and keeping tabs on us. If we choose bacon over sausage on our egg sandwich, the jeep logs it and updates our file at the fca before we even finish eating. I fear that once we get finished with payments and paying homage through parts and accessories, the jeep will rise out of its slumber and enslave us all. I hope it will be a kind god!

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
Man I think you all are crazy!!!!! There is no way that our phones are listening to us and directing our actions or thoughts!!!! Wait be right back my phone is txting me something be right back.....

Sorry it told me I should not have said you all are crazy. Sorry!!!

:)

Btw.... some people will not find this funny. They probably donā€™t drive a Jeep.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Yeah. Itā€™s pretty freakin invasive. I donā€™t like it. I think google and apple are the worst. I wonder if it varies from one carrier to another. No more privacy. So ponder this if it cAn listen in to your conversations. Why canā€™t it alert the authorities of mass shootings prior to them occurring ?
I donā€™t know if any of you all saw that piece on the ai where some guy in Japan invented a robot that basically said humans were inferior. Or some such. Think about that and Boston robotics ( maybe dynamics). And that equals the beginning of terminator.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Appleā€™s feature, not Jeepā€™s.

You can disable if you donā€™t like it, but honestly thereā€™s no escaping Bug Brother if you want to carry a smart phone.

See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207056

Sponsored

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Just have to sit back, relax, and trust your Jeep and iPhone to take good care of you. There is no fighting it.

OR...

You could ditch the smart phone, sell the Jeep and buy a 1977 Datsun B210.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Apple Maps also tells you how far the bar is at happy hour....
Sponsored