Sponsored

Apple just announced the next-gen CarPlay that goes beyond the infotainment screen. How long until we see this in the Wrangler?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I could honestly take it or leave it. Would I like the extra features? Probably. But I’m also perfectly happy with how CarPlay integrates right now. I haven’t found myself thinking “if only…” with it.
Apple makes their money convincing consumers that they *need* the new stuff.

Rince, lather, repeat, they just won't ever say their last year's stuff sucks.
Sponsored

MrGoodByte

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLURXR, '11 Challenger SE
Build Thread
Link
Apple makes their money convincing consumers that they *need* the new stuff.

Rince, lather, repeat, they just won't ever say their last year's stuff sucks.
I understand and agree with the sentiment, but did you see what the interface will be able to do? If you can tie in all the on board features like operating stereo and climate, I think this is a bit more than the ‘rinse, repeat’ you’re referring to. Then have the center cluster that’s tied to the infotainment system be seamless with CarPlay when you have that ‘mode’ on is going to be something consumers will want. Let’s be clear that I don’t want to beta test the first iteration so I’m fine with Stellantis letting other companies do that for now.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not against it. Apple has to eat too. I'm just done with Apple's over the edge marketing hype.

Apple's innovation amounts to glitter with dependancies. Brilliant strategy that drove them to a $2.41T market cap (as of today; I own a share or two).

Did you notice macOS Mammoth Ventura requires a 2017 or newer MacBook Pro?

Similar limitations on their other devices. I get it, can't support legacy stuff forever.

I just think Apple are masters of creating expensive solutions for problems that doesn't exist innovation.

In fairness, if it weren't for Apple, I wouldn't have a career.

Jeep Wrangler JL Apple just announced the next-gen CarPlay that goes beyond the infotainment screen. How long until we see this in the Wrangler? 1654692701680

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
They aren’t on the list because they haven’t fixed their CarPlay on USB port 2 disconnecting all the time
And here all this time I thought my cord was crapping out on me lol

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I mean it’s always good to test your cable and use a certified cable .. However this issue is pretty common in this community (just search for the threads).

There have been some work arounds, but nothing concrete that fixes the root of the issue .. I’ve had a part replaced but still didn’t fix it.

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been using my USB-A and USB-C ports on my dash WITH CarPlay and I’ve never had any issues. Curious if you mean the USB-A port in the armrest cubby hole?

NC31

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
They aren’t on the list because they haven’t fixed their CarPlay on USB port 2 disconnecting all the time
It's weird because I have had 2 Wranglers, used that port daily for CarPlay, and never had any issues.

RubiGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
It's weird because I have had 2 Wranglers, used that port daily for CarPlay, and never had any issues.
🤷‍♂️

Port 1 (dash) works fine, same cable, same iPhone 12 Pro Max .. Doesn’t seem like an end user issue to me.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Did you notice macOS Mammoth Ventura requires a 2017 or newer MacBook Pro?

Similar limitations on their other devices. I get it, can't support legacy stuff forever.

I just think Apple are masters of creating expensive solutions for problems that doesn't exist innovation.

In fairness, if it weren't for Apple, I wouldn't have a career.
Microsoft did the same with Windows 11 and the TPM v2 requirement. The old OS will still work just like Windows 10 is, this is just a whole lot of cheapskates crying. I do not have that but I understand the need to push newer hardware requirements because you don't want to handicap your software. They've been wanting to push everything further into their own ecosystem and cut out middle men. I have to make a choice soon on whether I want to build a new system or buy a Mac. I used to love building and running those benchmark competitions, but I do like parts of the Apple ecosystem.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
Eh, I don't use Apple products so hoping that Android Auto does something similar

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so Port 2 is in the cubby hole. I don’t remember Port 2 being ever being supported in any of the vehicles I ever owned or rented.

When I had a Jeep Sport and Sport S, I installed high end Panasonic and Alpine CarPlay systems, and they both required Port 1 (in back of the unit) to be used for CarPlay.

I think Jeep is being raked over the coals unfairly, where the issue is actually an Apple technical limitation or requirement.

If anyone here has an AppleCare Support contract foe iOS, a ticket can return the right answer. Our team manages Macs so it isn’t in our wheelhouse.

FA445D59-FE4C-42A7-8470-073D85A02691.jpeg

C354288E-D1EB-4463-8895-98FFD2A91AD9.jpeg

Jeepiner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jeepineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Ok so Port 2 is in the cubby hole. I don’t remember Port 2 being ever being supported in any of the vehicles I ever owned or rented.

When I had a Jeep Sport and Sport S, I installed high end Panasonic and Alpine CarPlay systems, and they both required Port 1 (in back of the unit) to be used for CarPlay.

I think Jeep is being raked over the coals unfairly, where the issue is actually an Apple technical limitation or requirement.

If anyone here has an AppleCare Support contract foe iOS, a ticket can return the right answer. Our team manages Macs so it isn’t in our wheelhouse.

Jeep Wrangler JL Apple just announced the next-gen CarPlay that goes beyond the infotainment screen. How long until we see this in the Wrangler? C354288E-D1EB-4463-8895-98FFD2A91AD9

Jeep Wrangler JL Apple just announced the next-gen CarPlay that goes beyond the infotainment screen. How long until we see this in the Wrangler? C354288E-D1EB-4463-8895-98FFD2A91AD9
This is great info!! Thank you so much for the input. Glad to hear it's not just a Jeep thing

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Wow, I do NOT want this software embedded in my vehicle, controlling every aspect of operation.
This is part of the Billion(s) of dollars that automakers are salivating over. A firehouse of information that advertisers will pay for, the information access is worth more than the vehicle, and people are not only giving it away, they are PAYING for the " privilege".
I hope there is a "Dinosaur " entry level, without any of this
Parasitic Symbiosis for Vehicles .
My 2018 Sport is looking like a Last Wrangler with every new "convenience " feature being touted.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Wow, I do NOT want this software embedded in my vehicle, controlling every aspect of operation.
This is part of the Billion(s) of dollars that automakers are salivating over. A firehouse of information that advertisers will pay for, the information access is worth more than the vehicle, and people are not only giving it away, they are PAYING for the " privilege".
I hope there is a "Dinosaur " entry level, without any of this
Parasitic Symbiosis for Vehicles .
My 2018 Sport is looking like a Last Wrangler with every new "convenience " feature being touted.
The bolded is hyperbole. It would be more like "integrating" with every aspect of operation. And then again, not every aspect of it. Calm down there buddy, this isn't the beginnings of Cyberdyne Systems.