Apparently I "bought" a Jeep that someone already ordered/bought

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
As others said, they can't expedite. If you are happy with the deal overall you could still do it. A lot of people did order so they could get exactly what they want. Why settle on a brand new vehicle.

YMMV and good luck!
Sponsored

flyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 370z, 2005 Dodge 2500 CTD, 2014 Impreza, 2008 Escape, 2003 Pathfinder
Ok, you quilted me into this, I confess. A late apology is better then none?

If you ordered a 1989 Wrangler, Blue, hardtop, a.c., 5sp, tilt, ps/pb from Broadway Jeep in Englewood CO and showed up to purchase and was told it was not there. I humbley apologise, i drove it home. The next day they called and told me it was a custom order and politely asked if they could swap me for something else.

I traded that Wrangler in for a 2000 TJ. It had 189k miles on it, original clutch.

Again, sorry. Hope they made it right.

Steamboat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Volvo XC90
Just think how the other guy would have felt after waiting weeks or months for his order only to have it sold out from under him. Oh, we don't have to imagine, just review the other thread referenced.

It's not fraud, just a mega stupid mistake. Stuff happens. What interests me most is what they'll do for you to redeem themselves.
So I am the guy who had this happen to me. As upset as you are, imagine this happening if you’d waited 3 months with daily conversations with Jeep cares about the status and it being moved phases and moved BACK phases a few times, only for it to be sold underneath you... That was my scenario.

I did give my dealer a chance to make it right and they definitely did so reach out to me if you want to know what I got and how the steps unfolded, OP. @shacdaddy

Sponsored

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Ask for a JL loaner to drive until they source an identical JL to the one you ordered.
I know they are the ones that are in the position to un-fuck this situation, but I feel like they would laugh if I asked for a new JL to drive around for weeks on end.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I know they are the ones that are in the position to un-fuck this situation, but I feel like they would laugh if I asked for a new JL to drive around for weeks on end.
I have seen a lot of unreasonable suggestions throughout this forum on various issues. I do not however feel that this would be an unreasonable request. Had they caught their mistake before taking your trade in it may have been unreasonable. They took the deal way too far before catching their mistake.

One step to making this right would be to provide you with a JL loaner until they can get in what you already bought. You should not be put out in any way due to their incompetence.

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I have seen a lot of unreasonable suggestions throughout this forum on various issues. I do not however feel that this would be an unreasonable request. Had they caught their mistake before taking your trade in it may have been unreasonable. They took the deal way too far before catching their mistake.

One step to making this right would be to provide you with a JL loaner until they can get in what you already bought. You should not be put out in any way due to their incompetence.
Just to be clear, I still have the Denali in my physical possession, but I already signed the title over to them and paid the difference between the trade-in value and the Jeep cost.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Just to be clear, I still have the Denali in my physical possession, but I already signed the title over to them and paid the difference between the trade-in value and the Jeep cost.
Ahh OK that is a bit different but honestly I still don't think it is out of line to request a JL loaner. Sales people take cars from dealerships home all the time. Yes they would be down a dealer plate while you use it but it would be a lesson for them to not let this happen to another customer and go a long way to prevent damage to their reputation.

A happy customer may tell a few people of their experience and it generally is not relayed to a third party. An unhappy customer will tell many people of their experience and that will be relayed to many others through word of mouth.

Bottom line they need to work with you to make sure you are satisfied with the way they are making up for their mistake whatever that may be.

Sting_Rubi

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
OOOOOK, so first, a dealer can have an order expedited. They don't do it for everyone, but the dealer rep can have it done for times just like this.

Second, there isn't some magical thing where a dealer will just give you a JL to take as a loaner or demo. If they don't have one registered as a loner, or a demo.. then they don't have one! Not as easy to just throw a dealer plate on and go (though i'm sure that varies stat to state).

Third, when you have a vehicle ordered, it don't just pop up on a screen saying it was a custom order. Sure a little research (typing the vin into dealer connect) would show that it was a custom order. Plus there are, at the very least, a couple of people who know about the order. They dropped the ball on this one for sure.

Fourth, you can look for similar vehicle through dealer connect and do a swap. This isn't always easy, especially for Wranglers. In my area, certain models are tough to get from other dealers. Some will want the dealer looking to get it to pay MSRP.. that is insane. Some will want a rare vehicle in exchange for that. some are just custom ordered. Its as simple as find it, trade for it, done. TRUST ME lol It sucks and it's a shitty situation you have. The best thing you can do is make sure that they will give you the SAME EXACT AMOUNT for your trade when you get the new one. I would have that in writing. Then, just sit back and drive yourself crazy waiting for it to come in! :cwl:

Sponsored

Sting_Rubi

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
oh, and it isn't fraud lol Not even close. They also don't owe you anything, they can void the deal and be done with it, but it looks like you are in a good spot. Try and get freebies!

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
OOOOOK, so first, a dealer can have an order expedited. They don't do it for everyone, but the dealer rep can have it done for times just like this.

Second, there isn't some magical thing where a dealer will just give you a JL to take as a loaner or demo. If they don't have one registered as a loner, or a demo.. then they don't have one! Not as easy to just throw a dealer plate on and go (though i'm sure that varies stat to state).

Third, when you have a vehicle ordered, it don't just pop up on a screen saying it was a custom order. Sure a little research (typing the vin into dealer connect) would show that it was a custom order. Plus there are, at the very least, a couple of people who know about the order. They dropped the ball on this one for sure.

Fourth, you can look for similar vehicle through dealer connect and do a swap. This isn't always easy, especially for Wranglers. In my area, certain models are tough to get from other dealers. Some will want the dealer looking to get it to pay MSRP.. that is insane. Some will want a rare vehicle in exchange for that. some are just custom ordered. Its as simple as find it, trade for it, done. TRUST ME lol It sucks and it's a shitty situation you have. The best thing you can do is make sure that they will give you the SAME EXACT AMOUNT for your trade when you get the new one. I would have that in writing. Then, just sit back and drive yourself crazy waiting for it to come in! :cwl:
Right. I mentioned the loaner and he said "whoa that's above my pay grade". I told him to check and explain the situation. Why let me drive around my Denali and rack up mileage when it will sell in about 2 weeks? I also emailed the general manager about the whole thing, so I'll see what he says. My guy did do the dealer connect/swap option, but came up with nothing (or so he says), so I put in the custom order this afternoon and got a VON about 10 minutes later.

I reiterated to him, prior to the loaner discussion, that I will *not* accept anything less on the trade in-value because this was basically a key swap, minus taxes and fees. He said (summarizing, not quoting): "Welllll unless you put 1000s of miles on it or damage it, it should hold its value." Pfft. THAT was the point where they could have made this 100% right and gone above-and-beyond.

Sting_Rubi

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Right. I mentioned the loaner and he said "whoa that's above my pay grade". I told him to check and explain the situation. Why let me drive around my Denali and rack up mileage when it will sell in about 2 weeks? I also emailed the general manager about the whole thing, so I'll see what he says. My guy did do the dealer connect/swap option, but came up with nothing (or so he says), so I put in the custom order this afternoon and got a VON about 10 minutes later.

I reiterated to him, prior to the loaner discussion, that I will *not* accept anything less on the trade in-value because this was basically a key swap, minus taxes and fees. He said (summarizing, not quoting): "Welllll unless you put 1000s of miles on it or damage it, it should hold its value." Pfft. THAT was the point where they could have made this 100% right and gone above-and-beyond.
Try to do what you can to get that in writing. At this point, I don't think they would try and screw you.. but it could happen. they can put on there contingent on vehicle condition and under how ever many extra miles if they feel so inclined. They could have offered you a loaner, that would have been the right thing to do. Obviously, its not going the be a JL... they are a hot commodity right now.

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Try to do what you can to get that in writing. At this point, I don't think they would try and screw you.. but it could happen. they can put on there contingent on vehicle condition and under how ever many extra miles if they feel so inclined. They could have offered you a loaner, that would have been the right thing to do. Obviously, its not going the be a JL... they are a hot commodity right now.
Oh yeah I wasn't asking for anything fancy, all I said was loaner. Not a Rubi, not a JL, nothing specific. Just show me you are doing something to make this right, not just ordering me a Rubi. Anyone can do that!

Sting_Rubi

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh yeah I wasn't asking for anything fancy, all I said was loaner. Not a Rubi, not a JL, nothing specific. Just show me you are doing something to make this right, not just ordering me a Rubi. Anyone can do that!
Yeah, they should have at least offered it. But again, they really don't need owe it to you so it's just one of those things. Something like that would help a lot.
Sponsored