Apparently I "bought" a Jeep that someone already ordered/bought

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Yep, you read that correctly. I saw a JLUR listed as inbound to my local dealer and it had every option I wanted. I went by the other day and signed all of the paperwork, signed the title to my Denali over to them, and paid the ~$4,000 in taxes/fees. Yesterday, I got the call that the Jeep was in and made arrangements to pick it up this morning.

I got to the the dealer about 2 hours ago, met w/ my salesman, saw the Jeep (gorgeous), took the plates off the Denali, and then he pulled the Jeep around and parked it. He walked up to me and said "Just a second..." and then I didn't see him for 20-30 minutes.

He and a manager I had spoken to before finally came back holding the window sticker. It said "This Jeep was custom made for John Doe". Needless to say, there was some cursing and a raised voice on my part. How does that even happen? Are you fucking kidding me? I already bought it (apparently so had the other guy).

They're (allegedly) now looking into the system to find a near-exact match and then arranging transport to get it here. I told them I wanted the same Jeep or better, and I'm not paying a single penny more.

Seriously? :mad:
Sponsored

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Yep, you read that correctly. I saw a JLUR listed as inbound to my local dealer and it had every option I wanted. I went by the other day and signed all of the paperwork, signed the title to my Denali over to them, and paid the ~$4,000 in taxes/fees. Yesterday, I got the call that the Jeep was in and made arrangements to pick it up this morning.

I got to the the dealer about 2 hours ago, met w/ my salesman, saw the Jeep (gorgeous), took the plates off the Denali, and then he pulled the Jeep around and parked it. He walked up to me and said "Just a second..." and then I didn't see him for 20-30 minutes.

He and a manager I had spoken to before finally came back holding the window sticker. It said "This Jeep was custom made for John Doe". Needless to say, there was some cursing and a raised voice on my part. How does that even happen? Are you fucking kidding me? I already bought it (apparently so had the other guy).

They're (allegedly) now looking into the system to find a near-exact match and then arranging transport to get it here. I told them I wanted the same Jeep or better, and I'm not paying a single penny more.

Wow, pretty crappy! Hope you find one that you want without having to wait very long.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392

This isn't right by the dealer and they have a duty to do right by you for their mistake. That said, it seems it was nothing more than that - a mistake. Did you really curse and raise your voice over that?

Sponsored

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
This isn't right by the dealer and they have a duty to do right by you for their mistake. That said, it seems it was nothing more than that - a mistake. Did you really curse and raise your voice over that?
Not really, probably an over-exaggeration. I said "This is bullshit" and "Are you fucking kidding me?"

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Use it to your advantage. If anything had the vin on it when you paid the 4000, you can almost claim bait and switch. Have them get what you want, plus extended warranty or something.
Oh the VIN was all over the paperwork

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation

Man I would say that is not common, but there is a thread on this site with the same exact thing that happened to someone elses JL. In fact, it was quite the opposite. He ordered his and come to find out, the stealership gave it away before he got there.

I guess whoever is first with the money at the door, wins. (or whomever has more money).

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
The vin being on the paperwork is your bargaining point. Mistakes happen, but that proves you were putting a deposit on THAT Jeep, and not just A Jeep. It will be aggravating, but I think you can come out ahead.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
That is rough. I am sure the guy who ordered it months ago is glad they didn't sell it to you, but I hope the dealership finds a way to make you happy.

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
That is rough. I am sure the guy who ordered it months ago is glad they didn't sell it to you, but I hope the dealership finds a way to make you happy.
Right. Either way someone is going to be very disappointed. They did do the right thing after realizing the error, but still.

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Right. Either way someone is going to be very disappointed. They did do the right thing after realizing the error, but still.
Honestly, I get it. After seeing the story about someone having their Jeep sold out from under them, I checked to make sure there was no name on my window sticker. I impulse bought a Rubicon off the lot at a time when many people on here were talking about waiting months for their order so...

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
The vin being on the paperwork is your bargaining point. Mistakes happen, but that proves you were putting a deposit on THAT Jeep, and not just A Jeep. It will be aggravating, but I think you can come out ahead.
I'm 100% with Bill on this one. This isn't about a fraud case or anything like that. You should call them (or physically go there if you're close enough) and demand your money back, along with making them sign the title to your previous vehicle back to you. Tell them you don't want to do business with somebody being this dishonest. Then let them try to make it right. Equal vehicle doesn't make it right. Either they throw in some free options, they drop the price, or you walk (with your old truck and your deposit).

And don't be afraid to tell them you've refrained from flaying them on the Jeep forums for being dishonest so far, but that you'll post the name of the dealership as a "keep away" if they don't make it right. Most dealerships have learned to fear social media.
Sponsored