Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
see the /s?
Yeah, what does that mean? Pardon my ignorance... I don't do social media, own a smart phone or any of the crap so I tend to get a bit challenged with stuff like that. :)
Oh and btw... I make microchips for a living. People look at me like I have three heads when they piece all of that together.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yeah, what does that mean? Pardon my ignorance... I don't do social media, own a smart phone or any of the crap so I tend to get a bit challenged with stuff like that. :)
Oh and btw... I make microchips for a living. People look at me like I have three heads when they piece all of that together.
Probably short for /sarcasm would be my guess.

Sponsored

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase

3illy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Granite Crystal Metalic, 2013 Harley Davidson FXDF
OK, so can't these tow truck operators be held liable for incorrectly towing a 4x4 jeep? My manual says flatbed or flat towing only. I'm guessing the owner didn't jump in to put the transfer case in neutral. But if she had the right Jeep enthusiast lawyer - they might have a case. So now the tow operator repeating the $63 dollar line sounds kinda stupid; when in fact his incorrectly towing this vehicle could damage the transfer case and transmission. I don't know what it would cost to replace these items but I'm guessing it's a whole lot more than $63 dollars.

Reactions: TMP

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so can't these tow truck operators be held liable for incorrectly towing a 4x4 jeep? My manual says flatbed or flat towing only. I'm guessing the owner didn't jump in to put the transfer case in neutral. But if she had the right Jeep enthusiast lawyer - they might have a case. So now the tow operator repeating the $63 dollar line sounds kinda stupid; when in fact his incorrectly towing this vehicle could damage the transfer case and transmission. I don't know what it would cost to replace these items but I'm guessing it's a whole lot more than $63 dollars.
Finally some common sense has been injected into this thread :)
You are correct NEVER tow a jeep this way, it's flat bed or flat towing only. I told my wife if she ever breaks down and I'm not there that I want the tow truck guy on the phone with me to tell him how to do it.
Side note: don't ever take it to a car wash where they allow the Jeep to go through with no one in it. If the Jeep is in D, R or N and the driver's side door is opened it is put into park immediately and the "P" down on the shifter panel will flash. Some guy had his Jeep drug through the car wash in park because of this.
This lovely feature is because some dumba$$ got out of his Jeep (GC I think) and left it in drive and ran someone over.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Finally some common sense has been injected into this thread :)
You are correct NEVER tow a jeep this way, it's flat bed or flat towing only. I told my wife if she ever breaks down and I'm not there that I want the tow truck guy on the phone with me to tell him how to do it.
Side note: don't ever take it to a car wash where they allow the Jeep to go through with no one in it. If the Jeep is in D, R or N and the driver's side door is opened it is put into park immediately and the "P" down on the shifter panel will flash. Some guy had his Jeep drug through the car wash in park because of this.
This lovely feature is because some dumba$$ got out of his Jeep (GC I think) and left it in drive and ran someone over.
I'd like to clear some of this up.

https://variety.com/2016/film/news/jeep-recall-anton-yelchin-1201828785/

"The shifter in 2014 and 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokees operates like a joystick, returning to the same position no matter what gear the vehicle is in. Some drivers have become confused and exited the vehicle while it is still in gear, leading it to roll away. "

Anton Yelchin just happened to be an up and coming actor with a few Major roles in movies. Still, HUNDREDS of complaints about it caused the auto park recall to come into being before his unfortunate incident.

While I think it is less necessary now with a more traditional gear selector, FCA would probably get their hind ends handed to them on a silver platter in the courts of public opinion if they were to remove this "Key safety feature"

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Even with the Video....and the drivers testimony....this is NOT an easy case to win. There will be serious litigation and lawyers will make a lot of money here. And this is NOT about the insurance companies. This will be the Towing business vs the vehicle owner and of course an Accident Chasing attorney. If the Towing company loses....they stand to lose BIG ! More often than not, they will settle out of court....its going to be cheaper to settle than fight this in court....and without risk of losing. Sad but true.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The tow company has no liability in this. With the passenger side strapped down, it would imply he was in the process of properly securing the vehicle, when the owner got in it. He then steps away (as I'm sure his company policy requires) and she tries to drive it off the truck. Since one tire is secured, she rolls it over.
As for the Jeep enthusiast lawyer, they wouldn't have a case of her shifting the transfer case into neutral since you can clearly hear the accelerator and see the free tire spinning. That's not shifting to neutral, that's trying to drive away.
As for the towing method. No it's not on a flabed, nor a flat tow. However, we don't know if he intended to use a dolly on the front tires or not since she interrupted his process. More importantly, even if he was going to tow it like that (most likely) the only thing that changes is that the tow company would be responsible for transmission damage from improperly towing. It doesn't exempt her from wrecking her Jeep.