Apparently a New TSB came out today for Loose Steering

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I dropped mine off at the dealership with TSB in hand. The guy I originally talked to said he was getting a lot of people complaining and showing him the TSB recently. He said they would check it out but if they found nothing wrong with it they wouldn't do any work. Came back the next day and the TSB was not performed. Talked to the service manager shortly after that and he will be ordering the parts and giving me a call when he has an ETA.
Good on you!! In not a demeaning way, the TSB needs to be highlighted where itā€™s says if customer states the following , not have technician drive or diagnose it
Sponsored

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I realize this is an old thread but I have a 2020 with a 2.5" (I think) Teraflex lift, with 35s and it has "loose" steering. It bothers my wife but I'm used to it and it doesn't really bother me as much anymore. I chalked it up to being a Jeep thing..

Where and how can I find out if there's a TBS that might improve the steering?

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I realize this is an old thread but I have a 2020 with a 2.5" (I think) Teraflex lift, with 35s and it has "loose" steering. It bothers my wife but I'm used to it and it doesn't really bother me as much anymore. I chalked it up to being a Jeep thing..

Call the dealer and let them run the VIN to see if yours is affected.

I have one of the first JLā€™s (nov/dec 2017 build date). Mine has always had vagueness on center and has been a bit darty on the highway. I never took it in for it, and just lived with it. Now that Iā€™ve bought it out of the lease, Iā€™m just going to deal with it myself. Adding a fox stabilizer masked the issue (still vague, but since steering is firmed itā€™s less pronounced).Steps are adjustable LCAā€™s to get castor to 6Ā° from the factory/ Mopar lift setting of 4Ā°. A Synergy sector shaft brace is on the way too to eliminate steering box movement.

Granted, these are band aids to an underlying problem, but itā€™s the solution Iā€™m going with since the LCAā€™s and sector shaft brace/ track bar bracket adds a good bit of strength over stock. My steering symptoms, while pronounced, arenā€™t severe when taking into account the type of vehicle it is. If I had the same symptoms in my Challenger, it would be entirely unacceptableā€¦.but for me, considering itā€™s a high ground clearance 4x4 with a steering system design going on 100 years old now, itā€™s part of the game. Unacceptable to some considering itā€™s a new $35,000-$75,000 vehicle, but I personally accept this as ā€œa Jeep thingā€. And no, my JK did not do this. My wifeā€™s 2020 JT does thoughā€¦.and itā€™s new enough to have the current steering box.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Look at your steering box - if it's silver you need the TSB. If black you have the iron case.

It is a very big improvement and fixed my same issue with my wife tolerating the jeep.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Main Thread: New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel")

Latest TSB for the steering issue attached.

Wandering or a excessive play (dead spot) in the steering are the normal complaints.

Attachments

Sponsored

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Look at your steering box - if it's silver you need the TSB. If black you have the iron case.

It is a very big improvement and fixed my same issue with my wife tolerating the jeep.
Thanks. Looking at it from the bottom it appears to be black.

While I was looking around at the steering box I noticed the adjustable setting for the TeraFlex steering stabilizer. I've never adjusted it since it's been installed. Would this adjustment help or potentially just mask a more fundamental problem?
Jeep Wrangler JL Apparently a New TSB came out today for Loose Steering IMG_3410D.JPG

Also, is this set to medium or firm?

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Main Thread: New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel")

Latest TSB for the steering issue attached.

Wandering or a excessive play (dead spot) in the steering are the normal complaints.
Thanks.

It didn't take long to get used to driving it this way. Other Jeep owners who have added suspension and larger tires have told me it comes with the territory. I'm concerned that if I took it in for the TBS that somehow the dealer might make things worse.

Probably not a fair statement about the dealer since I've never had it serviced their.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks.

It didn't take long to get used to driving it this way. Other Jeep owners who have added suspension and larger tires have told me it comes with the territory. I'm concerned that if I took it in for the TBS that somehow the dealer might make things worse.

Probably not a fair statement about the dealer since I've never had it serviced their.
You are correct about the dealer... when I had my steering gear box replaced, the mechanic took a hammer to my track bar bracket and flipped my draglink up 90 degrees. Plus got steering fluid all over the frame/axle/fad... Needless to say I had to clean all that crap, touch-up the powder coat, correct the draglink, and re-center the steering wheel. šŸ˜Ž šŸ‘Ž

A 2020 should already have the updated trackbar and you have already replaced the steering stabilizer. You could flip it over to firm and see how it acts. If you do have the new black steering box I would say to take a look at tire pressure.

Jeep Wrangler JL Apparently a New TSB came out today for Loose Steering Falcon Nexus EF 2.2

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Pull up the inner fender liner on the drivers side, take a picture of the #'s on the steering box, and post it here.

How many miles are on the Jeep, what size tires, and how many mile have you been running them?
Sponsored