Apparently a New TSB came out today for Loose Steering

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I had this done this morning. They did it in 15 minutes while I waited. There’s definitely an improvement.
Sponsored

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR, ‘06 LX 100-series
I had this done this morning. They did it in 15 minutes while I waited. There’s definitely an improvement.
What did they do in 15 min? The flash?

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
What did they do in 15 min? The flash?
Yes. I watched them do it. They used the device that plugs in under the dash. It communicated wireless from their computer. I saw them pull up the TSB on their screen and it matched what I showed them. They did a few clicks and it said update complete.

The dead zone that I experienced feels much firmer now. I can feel the road at center.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
I had this done last week....when I brought my JLUR in because ESS stopped working for 6 weeks. I looked at the TSB number and was like WTF....never heard or read anything about this one. They also replaced my main battery and I did notice that my steering afterwards was a little tighter but I had zero steering issues before. So now my ESS is working again, I have a new main battery and a little tighter steering. So uh, thank you Jeep I guess? Maybe this TSB took care of other electrical issues like the increase in customers like me with a Jeep around 1- 1.5 years old and the ESS system is failing - or the batteries suck too.

Jaym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just to add, I had an AD box put in last summer replacing my factory AC. I also have the updated track bar and a falcon dampener.

Sponsored

Go Outside

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
I have a March 2019 JLUR, had AD box replaced with AE which took dead in steering wheel from 3 to 4 inches play down to 1.25 inches play. Then added adjustable LCA’s and brought caster to over 6, this got rid of wandering. Just did this TSB this morning, minimal improvement in steering wheel play. Slowly getting better - at least it’s tolerable now to drive but not what it should be
regarding the caster, is your JL lifted? Northridge talked me out of adding caster and into a trackbar/sector brace saying that adding caster would make a stock jeep darty.

Birdman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
I just took my Jeep in for the ESS issues. They replaced the Aux and then the main battery. ESS problem fixed and they said the did some flash updates not sure what. My 1-2 inch deadspot is gone steering is tight and a little stiffer much better than before.

Vezfly

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I just took my Jeep in for the ESS issues. They replaced the Aux and then the main battery. ESS problem fixed and they said the did some flash updates not sure what. My 1-2 inch deadspot is gone steering is tight and a little stiffer much better than before.
Any chance what flash number they accomplished is on work order ?

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have the AD box but I’m waiting for the AF version.
When I purchased my JLUR, unbeknownst to me, I had the AFU steering system version. When I drove it on the winding 101 highway, my reaction version was WTF. Then I learned here that FCA FUBAR'd this and they're still chasing their tail. So, I fixed it myself and it's ABN (all better now).

pigpen

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MB GLE 450 AMG Coupe, 2005 BMW 330CiC ZHP
Folks, I’m knew to the forum. I have been considering buying a Jeep for many years and liked many of the changes that were made with the JL release, so I finally hopped off of the sofa this past October and went to a local dealer to test drive one. I had driven a Jeep back in 2000 for part of a year that was owned by a girl I was dating, but it was a 4 cyl. no frills model and pretty much sucked. That stated, I hadn’t done any research yet on reported problems with the JL prior to the test drive. At the dealer, I selected a lifted unlimited that was out front and as I drove it off the curb, I immediately noticed a lot of steering play, but wanted to see if it was simply tire size, etc., at a crawl. As I drove down the street, I found that the play in the steering continued on the flat, uncrowned road. When I eventually drove down a narrow, backwoods two-lane road, I found myself in a very tense state as I fought to keep it from veering into the opposite lane or off the edge of the road where tree trunks were very close to the edge. I went home and researched the issue and found all of the complaints. I check back occasionally to see whether or not the issue has been resolved post-investigation. I found a video on YouTube in December where a guy who sounded as though he was from the Jersey Shore show described each of the part replacements he had performed by the dealer with FCA upgraded/fixed parts to eventually have the problem resolved. After reading the posts in this and another thread in this forum, I’m still waiting for the JL to arrive at a state where the steering issue is flatly resolved in builds that are shipped from the factory. If my scan of the posts here was done well enough, it sounds as though I should continue to wait. Is that an accurate assessment if I am in no hurry?

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Folks, I’m knew to the forum. I have been considering buying a Jeep for many years and liked many of the changes that were made with the JL release, so I finally hopped off of the sofa this past October and went to a local dealer to test drive one. I had driven a Jeep back in 2000 for part of a year that was owned by a girl I was dating, but it was a 4 cyl. no frills model and pretty much sucked. That stated, I hadn’t done any research yet on reported problems with the JL prior to the test drive. At the dealer, I selected a lifted unlimited that was out front and as I drove it off the curb, I immediately noticed a lot of steering play, but wanted to see if it was simply tire size, etc., at a crawl. As I drove down the street, I found that the play in the steering continued on the flat, uncrowned road. When I eventually drove down a narrow, backwoods two-lane road, I found myself in a very tense state as I fought to keep it from veering into the opposite lane or off the edge of the road where tree trunks were very close to the edge. I went home and researched the issue and found all of the complaints. I check back occasionally to see whether or not the issue has been resolved post-investigation. I found a video on YouTube in December where a guy who sounded as though he was from the Jersey Shore show described each of the part replacements he had performed by the dealer with FCA upgraded/fixed parts to eventually have the problem resolved. After reading the posts in this and another thread in this forum, I’m still waiting for the JL to arrive at a state where the steering issue is flatly resolved in builds that are shipped from the factory. If my scan of the posts here was done well enough, it sounds as though I should continue to wait. Is that an accurate assessment if I am in no hurry?
did you read the big steering thread? there are still 2020s coming off the line with problems. it's impossible to know what percentage of units are impacted, but it does appear to be less than recent years. definitely test drive to be sure, sounds like you know exactly what to look for.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/

pigpen

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MB GLE 450 AMG Coupe, 2005 BMW 330CiC ZHP
did you read the big steering thread? there are still 2020s coming off the line with problems. it's impossible to know what percentage of units are impacted, but it does appear to be less than recent years. definitely test drive to be sure, sounds like you know exactly what to look for.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/
I did see that thread and went to the last page to work my way back from there. I then read this one as a shorter more focused thread. Your reply is what I was seeking. Thank you. I’ll keep waiting. I have a rule to buy vehicles with as many fixes as possible applied at the factory.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I did see that thread and went to the last page to work my way back from there. I then read this one as a shorter more focused thread. Your reply is what I was seeking. Thank you. I’ll keep waiting. I have a rule to buy vehicles with as many fixes as possible applied at the factory.
Wait will be long. If they have been throwing all these parts and revisions and software at it with no fix after 3 years, writing is on the wall.
Sponsored