Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
This is my 8th or 9th update to my 2 door Rubicon build...I was putting all of the build links in these updates. If that is value added, please let me know and I'll add them here and continue the practice.

I am not sure how many of my fellow JL/JT owners have experienced the power steering pump shutting off while riding trails but is isn't fun. Loosing power steering while working Jeep hard presents like the tires are jammed in one position with limited or no ability to turn them...on or off the throttle. Even less fun is loosing boost at speed like when running a wash.

The loss of power steering is due to the system getting hot enough for the pump to turn off, saving itself and the fluid from getting too hot.

I got the Apex Power Steering Cooler to eliminate/reduce the number of pump shut downs. Not only will the cooler help to dissipate heat, the added volume of fluid will be harder to heat soak. I am not sure about the stock capacity but this cooler easily doubles and maybe triples it. It took almost a full liter of new fluid to fill the system.

Now the pictures (and less words!):

Unboxing the cooler was gratifying. It sucks to buy a mod and box it to find something that feels unsubstantial. The cooler has a nice mass, the hardware is carefully packed, the brackets feel solid and the anno is deep. The part has a lux feel to it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0412

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0413

The install instructions were thorough and suggested mounting the cooler between the frame rails, just under the grill. I chose to mount the cooler in my bumper. I've rotated my sway bar disconnect and had a perfect spot or mount the cooler...the only questions was to hang it from the top of the bumper:
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0420

or mount it to the angled lower face of the bumper (Where Ace is cut out):
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0419

I went with the later. I liked the routing of the inlet and outlet ports more with this way. I did have to trim an unused frame bracket off to keep the hose routing free of hard touches to prevent rubbing:
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0421

Mounting here was simple. I did have to use my own hardware to mount it here but I have enough spare 10.9 flange head bolts to make it easy.

A couple pics of the angle of the input and output ports:
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0424
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0425

If I am adding a cooler to an existing system, I like to mount the cooler then resolve the connections. So now that the cooler is mounted I started disconnecting the stock low pressure return line. The pump side is easy...remove the air box, disconnect the spring clamp and pull the hose off of the nipple. Use an new clamp, new hose and make the pump to cooler connection.
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0431

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0430

On the steering box side, I cut the existing hose toward the end of its length, insert the supplied double ended nipple (huh, huh) and clamp the connections. I had to use a screw clamp as the provided spring clamp didn't make a connection that was tight enough for me. I did give this feedback to Apex.
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0428

then I made the connection to the cooler.

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0429

I used Pentosin CHF11S to fill the system. It took most of the liter can.
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0432

Here is the final mounting location of my new cooler. I will add some abrasion protection to hoses for extra protection but my routing were free of sharp bends and hard contact to the adjacent surfaces. I am heading to Windrock Park next weekend and will give feedback on the performance when I return.

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0448

To remove the stock low pressure return line, I removed the screws attaching it to the the left and right frame rails, cut it on the right and cut it on the left per my pic and the pieces basically fell to the ground.
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install IMG_0446
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Nice addition to prolong the longevity of your steering system!

I added a cooler to my TJ Rubicon and really liked how it kept the PS pump/box temps down. It was a noticeable improvement too! I mounted mine in the grille, which was easier on the TJ than the JL's (not even sure if it's possible....). I double clamped all of the cooler hose connections, mostly for peace of mind. I had been giving this mod some thought, but hadn't really looked into it. Guess I'll be checking out the Apex coolers.

Thanks for the information

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Great write up. But I thought these JLs use a different power steering fluid that is special to their electric systems?
Thank you. I was concerned about the fluid compatibility too.

Pentosin CHF11S meets MS-11655.

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install chf11s.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
After wheeling this weekend, I can confidently say this cooler solved my thermal shutdown issues. We rode trail in 85-88 degree high humidity weather. Due to the number of Jeeps we had there was a lot of slow driving and waiting. Perfect conditions to overheat the PS system.

I am very pleased with the mod and thermal shutdown is no longer a concern.

I can't recommend this cooler enough.

4xnaz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to use the void behind my Motobilt Crusher front bumper to mount this Apex cooler. No drilling required as I used the holes already on the inside of the frame. I spent the good part of an Arizona day running up a dry rocky river bed without any issues after I installed it. This is more of an overheat insurance policy and not something that would enhance your offroad steering capabilities, just so people are aware. But when and if your power steering fails, you are having yourself a bad time.

0515201123_HDR~2.jpg

0515201118_HDR~2.jpg

0516201420_HDR~2.jpg

0515201115a_HDR~2.jpg

0514202100_HDR~3.jpg

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Hi Everyone,

I appreciate the write-up. Thanks for all the details.

Just curious how much cooling this provided? And idea what the temperature was before and after the install of the cooler?

After two weeks in Moab the PS fluid is pretty much cooked. Before any hot weather wheeling I'll need to do something different.

(I will start a new thread; but, I'm curious is anyone has installed this cooler with the diesel. I have a Rockslide Engineering full width front bumper with the recessed winch opening. I'd prefer to install the cooler someplace where there's air flow; but, just the added surface area and volume would be a benefit.)

Thanks again for the write-up.

Jeff

Sponsored

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Hi Everyone,

I appreciate the write-up. Thanks for all the details.

Just curious how much cooling this provided? And idea what the temperature was before and after the install of the cooler?

After two weeks in Moab the PS fluid is pretty much cooked. Before any hot weather wheeling I'll need to do something different.

(I will start a new thread; but, I'm curious is anyone has installed this cooler with the diesel. I have a Rockslide Engineering full width front bumper with the recessed winch opening. I'd prefer to install the cooler someplace where there's air flow; but, just the added surface area and volume would be a benefit.)

Thanks again for the write-up.

Jeff
Jeff - I do not have any before or after data for heat. I can only report that the system has only shut down once since I installed it. It was apporx 100 out and we were working to get over a challenging obstacle that required quite a bit of steering and took about 20mins. The shut down was very brief...it recovered after I was able to cycle the steering (still on the obstacle) left to right.

I'd say this cooler plus the power boost components are money well spent.

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Jason,

Jeff - I do not have any before or after data for heat. I can only report that the system has only shut down once since I installed it. It was apporx 100 out and we were working to get over a challenging obstacle that required quite a bit of steering and took about 20mins. The shut down was very brief...it recovered after I was able to cycle the steering (still on the obstacle) left to right.

I'd say this cooler plus the power boost components are money well spent.
Thanks for the reply, and your input.

Take Care,

Jeff

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Jason,

Just thinking out loud...

Thank you. I was concerned about the fluid compatibility too.

Pentosin CHF11S meets MS-11655.

Jeep Wrangler JL Apex Performance Power Steering Cooler install 0514202100_HDR~3
Is there a reason why the Pentosin fluid would be equal to or better than the Mopar fluid?

I know that the Mopar fluid is about twice as expensive. I just don't want to be questioned by a dealer (should that ever occur) about using something other than Mopar. If the Jeep was out of warranty, I wouldn't think this hard about it.

Thanks,

Jeff

OP
OP
Silent Panda

Silent Panda

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Hi Jason,

Just thinking out loud...

Is there a reason why the Pentosin fluid would be equal to or better than the Mopar fluid?

I know that the Mopar fluid is about twice as expensive. I just don't want to be questioned by a dealer (should that ever occur) about using something other than Mopar. If the Jeep was out of warranty, I wouldn't think this hard about it.

Thanks,

Jeff
I feel like the Pentosin fluid is superior to most any fluid. That is based only on my eurocarsnob background. It is a premium fluid and meets or exceeds the standard.

Hard to believe there are fluids that cost more than the Pentosin.

I chose it because I am familiar with the brand and was buying at parts store and not the dealer…go with whatever fluid let’s you sleep at night AND meets the spec.

Hope that helps…

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Jason,

I feel like the Pentosin fluid is superior to most any fluid. That is based only on my eurocarsnob background. It is a premium fluid and meets or exceeds the standard.

Hard to believe there are fluids that cost more than the Pentosin.

I chose it because I am familiar with the brand and was buying at parts store and not the dealer…go with whatever fluid let’s you sleep at night AND meets the spec.

Hope that helps…
I was just asking... I guess I was double-checking before ordering.

Take Care,

Jeff
Sponsored