flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hello fellow NV Jeepers! Just moved to North Vegas and was curious about driving on some of the dry lake beds in the area. I have been out on Jean/Roach dry lake in an ATV several years ago and had a blast, but I've also been told that the lake beds can retain moisture at certain times of the year and become muddy, which I'd like to avoid. Been checking out https://ohv.nv.gov/trails and was thinking about visiting Dry Lake Valley or Jean/Roach sometime in the next couple of weeks, but only wanted to do so if they are bone dry. Appreciate any advice/feedback and hope to see you all on the trails soon!
Sponsored

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
Can't speak of apex, haven't been there, but jean/roach lake bed is pretty popular with 4x4s and SxS. Definitely only go when it's dry. I've seen plenty of pics on social media of people getting stuck. The mud gets super slick out there,and puddles can be deceptively deeper than they look. Another is the dry lake bed just before builder city.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can't speak of apex, haven't been there, but jean/roach lake bed is pretty popular with 4x4s and SxS. Definitely only go when it's dry. I've seen plenty of pics on social media of people getting stuck. The mud gets super slick out there,and puddles can be deceptively deeper than they look. Another is the dry lake bed just before builder city.
Thanks Donny...is there any way to check conditions at Jean/Roach or Boulder before I go? Not worth the trip if there's a possibility I'd get stuck in the mud. Since the surface can appear deceptively dry, it seems like the only way you'd know if it was muddy is if you actually drove over it and got stuck, which I'd like to avoid.

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Donny...is there any way to check conditions at Jean/Roach or Boulder before I go? Not worth the trip if there's a possibility I'd get stuck in the mud. Since the surface can appear deceptively dry, it seems like the only way you'd know if it was muddy is if you actually drove over it and got stuck, which I'd like to avoid.
Honestly, I don't know. I use my weather app to check weather conditions of locations I'm thinking of going to, to see what I'm in for. If it's rained within the last few days before you go, I'd be hesitant, as the water will sit on top for awhile before it soaks into the ground.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
@flyer92
I work at Primm (18 years so far). I drive the dry lake bed at least monthly to avoid the IH-15 Sunday traffic between Jean and Primm.

The easiest answer is during monsoon season June to August it can turn into a lake for miles after a hard rain. You don’t need a website to check, if it rained in the past 4 days then don’t go. Otherwise it’s dry and dusty.

This was 31 July after a rain. It was 90% dry and this was the only spot where I had to cross water and 4hi on the fly was a requirement. The other 10 miles was dry and 2hi gear.
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex and Jean/Roach Lake Beds OK? E3C22B38-EB76-4367-8995-70BCB6898B78

Go another time and it’s mostly a non issue and will look like this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex and Jean/Roach Lake Beds OK? 06A66CD1-38C3-498F-813B-91876B651C71

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@flyer92
I work at Primm (18 years so far). I drive the dry lake bed at least monthly to avoid the IH-15 Sunday traffic between Jean and Primm.

The easiest answer is during monsoon season June to August it can turn into a lake for miles after a hard rain. You don’t need a website to check, if it rained in the past 4 days then don’t go. Otherwise it’s dry and dusty.

This was 31 July after a rain. It was 90% dry and this was the only spot where I had to cross water and 4hi on the fly was a requirement. The other 10 miles was dry and 2hi gear.
Thanks so much...exactly what I was looking for. I think it's cool that you can use the lake bed to bypass the I-15 traffic too, plus it's gotta be much more fun anyway. I had never even thought of that! Really appreciate it, and hope to see you out there some time.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Thanks so much...exactly what I was looking for. I think it's cool that you can use the lake bed to bypass the I-15 traffic too, plus it's gotta be much more fun anyway. I had never even thought of that! Really appreciate it, and hope to see you out there some time.
Continue down LV BLVD to Jean. Go past the airport and courthouse until the road ends. One small climb in pic (bypass is 25 yards to the West) and go 4 miles to the substation and you can pick any path to the dry lake bed is my usual route.
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex and Jean/Roach Lake Beds OK? 93AE4E4C-DA54-4ADF-BDFF-898C66FEC0D7

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Continue down LV BLVD to Jean. Go past the airport and courthouse until the road ends. One small climb in pic (bypass is 25 yards to the West) and go 4 miles to the substation and you can pick any path to the dry lake bed is my usual route.
Jeep Wrangler JL Apex and Jean/Roach Lake Beds OK? 93AE4E4C-DA54-4ADF-BDFF-898C66FEC0D7
Excellent thanks! I'm not familiar with the courthouse, but I know where the airport is and assume you are referring to Roach lake bed, since it is South of the airport. I do see a substation on Google Earth, but it looks like it's about 7 miles South of the airport. Once you are down that way, is there a place where you can get on I-15, or do you have to go all the way back up to Jean (or continue down to Primm?

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Powerplant operator
There is a fence that separates IH-15 from either side. Once on the DLB it’s either Jean or Primm to get onto IH-15.

Your description above is spot on.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
There is a fence that separates IH-15 from either side. Once on the DLB it’s either Jean or Primm to get onto IH-15.

Your description above is spot on.
OK, got it...thanks. I assume you work at the Ivanpah solar plant? That place looks amazing, but I almost blind myself every time I drive by!

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Across the highway in Nevada is my powerplant. Just look for two large buildings East of the rollercoaster.
Sponsored