Sponsored

Anything to know when taking your JL to an automatic carwash?

Alucard77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
I was just wondering if there is anything to know when taking the JL to an automatic carwash. I believe I read something where I have to take the car out of Drive and put it in Park, then take it from 2WD and move that to Neutral. Is that the case?

Can I just not throw the car in Nuetral and leave it in 2WD?

Thanks in advanced.
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
The #1 thing to know when taking a vehicle to an automatic car was is: Don't!!! ;)

Seriously, I can't answer your question, but I can give some tips on washing your own car - I once had an apartment where I ran a hose out the front door that was hooked up to the kitchen sink because I had no access to a hose on the property.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I was just wondering if there is anything to know when taking the JL to an automatic carwash. I believe I read something where I have to take the car out of Drive and put it in Park, then take it from 2WD and move that to Neutral. Is that the case?

Thanks in advanced.
First of all, I am assuming you have a hard top? I would def not run a soft top through an auto car wash. The plastic windows are already prone to scratching, and the car wash will just expedite that.

But if you do have a hard top, you are fine taking it through a car wash. No need to mess with the transfer, case just leave that in 2WD. Put the transmission in neutral (as you would with any other car). Nothing special or unique about how to take a Jeep through the car wash.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest pressure washing or touch-less car washes. If you really want that $3 car wash, simply put it on Neutral. However, the very first and last and very last time I tortured my JL through one of those, I noticed the radio antenna dangling really hard against the outside body. So if you still have the factory antenna, I would say be careful with that.

Currentg

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Before you go through an automatic car wash (one with spinning brushes etc.) you will want to remove your antenna and turn in the mirrors. If you have a spare tire cover, it would be best to remove it as well because the dryer air jets can blow the spare tire cover off and damage you rear camera cover.

Sponsored

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
Do you people actually own a Wrangler??? Seriously?
Who gives a s#it about the soft top or windows...It is a Jeep...
Both my SRT and Wrangler (soft top in the summer) go through an automatic car wash almost weekly. The only thing I do is leave the key in the car and grease the attendants regularly....No issues, ever.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks in advanced.
#1- Don't take it to an automatic car wash ESPECIALLY if it's a black Jeep. It's a CAR wash not a JEEP wash ;)
#2- If you are staying in the Jeep you are fine to put it in neutral. The problem you are thinking of is when you put it in N, D or R and then OPEN the driver's door. Once that door is opened the transmission will automatically go into park and flash at you. So if it's a car wash where the kid pulls it up and runs it through without you in it then it will be getting dragged through in Park... not good.
The way to avoid this is don't go to a car wash; don't go to a car wash where you need to get out (if you are bent on going to a scratch wash).

RedRockRubicon

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.redrockrubicon.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR named Lucy, 2018 Bright White JLUR named Dru, 2020 Hella Yella JLUR named Stuart, 2000 TJ Bright Silver Metallic name Gru. 2020 Gladiator name Kassandra
Occupation
Jeep Tours/rentals
I run my jeeps through a conveyor style wash a few times a week. Usually, the attendant folds in the mirrors. I replaced my antennae with a stubby one from Amazon so it doesn't slap the windshield. Modern car washes are pretty gentle.

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout, a few others
I run mine through the local iShine all the time. Sky 1 touch top. Just do it like any other vehicle. No problems here.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
If you are running aftermarket (oversize) wheels/tires make sure they fit in the tracks BEFORE entering the wash. I tend to avoid the fully auto washes; if I'm going to use the machines vs hand wash I seek out one of the "touchless" washes where you just sit stationary until the end.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Took my JK through a touchless car wash once, JK was still dirty, ran it through 3 times, attendant saw it wasn't clean, seems the fenders threw the machine off so it missed the entire JK behind the front door, and even the front didn't wash properly.
Sponsored